996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

rattle at idle LWFW need some opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 05:55 AM
beantowntechy is a jewel in the roughbeantowntechy is a jewel in the roughbeantowntechy is a jewel in the rough
Glad I read this post. As you may now, I am new to Pcars, and I've only had mine about 2.5 weeks and have noticed a very high pitched sound when the clutch is not engaged (and at idle). It is not marbles in a tin can sound...just a high pitch sound (I thought the ringing in my ears from the army days was getting louder..haha). I press the clutch, sound goes away.

After reading this post yesterday, I decided to play with it at a stop light. Even if I barely touch the clutch and let off of it, the sound goes away and stays away. I do have the tubi exhaust which is pretty loud (inside the ****pit). When I was slowing down i threw it in neutral (window down) and i could hear the sound as well.

A lot of stuff was done to the car w/the previous owner and I dont' have details on everything. Am I to assume I have a different flywheel (although does not sound like the Aasco)??

Old 10-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
that sound does not make sense. I wonder if you might not have a throwout bearing issue. keep an eye(ear) on it. If it gets louder you should go get it checked. Bad install or faulty bearing might be it. Not trying to scare you, you are probably ok, just commenting on what I have seen in the past.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:15 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Clayton,

Does it sound like fluid straining through a line? If so, it's common and my car used to do that before I did the GT2 non-assist conversion.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:28 AM
beantowntechy is a jewel in the roughbeantowntechy is a jewel in the roughbeantowntechy is a jewel in the rough
Hhmm....I'm not mechanically inclined enough to articulate it well...to me, it just sounds like a high pitched "whine". I wouldn't equate it to what i think fluid straining through a line would sound like, but I have very layman type ears.

When I bought the car, I mentioned the sound to the sales guy, who has been familiar w/the car the last 2 or 3 yrs...and he said it was "normal". Disclaimer though - he is a salesman. But, Paul at Nashua Porsche had just serviced it the week before...so dare I make an assumption and think that if it was a problem, he would have addressed it?

Until something blows up, I'll just keep driving it!

Old 10-09-2009, 08:31 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
power steering pump?

Originally Posted by beantowntechy
Hhmm....I'm not mechanically inclined enough to articulate it well...to me, it just sounds like a high pitched "whine". I wouldn't equate it to what i think fluid straining through a line would sound like, but I have very layman type ears.

When I bought the car, I mentioned the sound to the sales guy, who has been familiar w/the car the last 2 or 3 yrs...and he said it was "normal". Disclaimer though - he is a salesman. But, Paul at Nashua Porsche had just serviced it the week before...so dare I make an assumption and think that if it was a problem, he would have addressed it?

Until something blows up, I'll just keep driving it!

Old 10-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Would that sound be eliminated by just pushing in the clutch a quarter way and releasing it?

You're right though...the sound is similar to my Dodge truck if I crank the wheel all the way to one side then push on the gas. A slightly different tone, but similar.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:37 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
I dunno....but you oughta search "car fires" and "pentosin" and "power steering pump".....I'd probably have it checked just to be safe.....

Old 10-09-2009, 09:33 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Yes, that is the power steering pump. There is a TSB and several threads on it. The sound does go away when the clutch is depressed. You should get it fixed as it is a fire hazard.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Wow, you guys are awesome. I owe you a virtual beer

I'll give my dealer a call to have this looked at.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:07 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Wow, you guys are awesome. I owe you a virtual beer

Old 10-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Clayton, that's what it is...I'm curious why mine stopped doing it after the GT2 clutch conversion.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 10-09-2009, 01:54 PM
I spoke to Derec at the dealership and he told me to drop it off this weekend and that they are willing to work with me on it. They sounded amenable to taking care of it. I bought the car as is due to all the mods that were done.

Thx to manager, wross and John for your input. I sincerely appreciate it.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:42 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
You need a new clutch accumulator. I got $5 it's not a power steering pump.

High pitched sound that goes away when you push in the clutch.

Very common issue with these cars. Easy and cheap fix.

Glad I read this post. As you may now, I am new to Pcars, and I've only had mine about 2.5 weeks and have noticed a very high pitched sound when the clutch is not engaged (and at idle). It is not marbles in a tin can sound...just a high pitch sound (I thought the ringing in my ears from the army days was getting louder..haha). I press the clutch, sound goes away.

After reading this post yesterday, I decided to play with it at a stop light. Even if I barely touch the clutch and let off of it, the sound goes away and stays away. I do have the tubi exhaust which is pretty loud (inside the ****pit). When I was slowing down i threw it in neutral (window down) and i could hear the sound as well.

A lot of stuff was done to the car w/the previous owner and I dont' have details on everything. Am I to assume I have a different flywheel (although does not sound like the Aasco)??

Old 10-10-2009, 06:14 AM
I like the sound of a cheap fix vs a thousand dollars even though I hopefully won't be on the hook for it. Hopefully the mechanic will do his due diligence and find the exact issue.

Thx for your response Ari.

Would this be a good time to do the lwfw? after all, that's what got me started on reading this thread. May as well trade one noise for another.

Is this a good price? This is what I was quoted
MSRP: $1195-25% Your price= $896

Last edited by beantowntechy; 10-10-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Hmmm, Man I hate being gone for days (or weeks) and playing catch-up...

I've had numerous issues with my clutch hydraulics. I've also had the "death rattle" of a LWFW since spring 2008. Some complain about the noise made by the OEM flywheel used in most applications (an OEM porsche part that was originally used on the 964). I don't mind it, because I enjoy the crisp matched revs I get from heel/toe shifting. With my OEM dual mass FW, I couldn't do that as easily.

Something to keep in mind, and it may have been said before, is that the two hydraulic systems, the clutch and the powersteering, are linked. Pushing in the clutch pedal may pressurize the system and aleviate a noise in either system. So it's kinda hard to "assume" it's one or the other.

However, If the clutch pedal is stiff inconsistently, or if the travel of the pedal feels gritty in stroke, then you may well have an accumulator/slave cylinder issue. That said, none of the issues discussed would require you to remove the transmission and instal a lightweight flywheel. This would be something you'd only do when time to upgrade your clutch. If your clutch is holding the power (test this by shifting from 3rd to 5th at about 5K rpms) then you don't need a clutch.

I have a decent DIY posted on here concerning swapping the accumulator and slave...Just search on my username.

John, yours went away when you did the GT2 conversion because the system is no longer being "Back pressured" when the pedal is compressed and loading pressure on the system. Those check valves in the slave cylinder are designed (I was told) to allow minimal pressure on the power steering pump, when the pedal is pressed. It's really just the system loading against the check valves, since the valves are designed as a one-way flow system (can't go back to the power steering reservoir) but enough mechanical pressure is placed on the slave, and it transfers some of it back thru the power steering unit. I can't wait to get my car back, as mine will have the GT2 conversion done, along with the new tranny components/clutch material!

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 10-10-2009 at 07:42 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rattle at idle LWFW need some opinions