996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

rattle at idle LWFW need some opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 09:46 AM
beantowntechy is a jewel in the roughbeantowntechy is a jewel in the roughbeantowntechy is a jewel in the rough
Mike - thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate the detail. I'll pass all this on to the mechanic, but my hope is that he would know how to isolate this to begin with....or i'm going to want a mechanic who does.

The granular detail is good for me as well because it gives me an understanding of what's going on, even though I won't be the one busting my knuckles.

I'll hold off on the flywheel until I need a clutch replacement...it just makes sense to not pay for labor twice.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:35 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Does anyone have any experience using Redline shockproof in their transmission to dampen the transmission rattle with a LWFW. I know we're supposed to be using Mobil 1 Delvac, but a few guys here locally suggested trying Redline.

Last edited by bbywu; 10-10-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:39 PM
F A S T L A N E is infamous around these parts
I'm about to do new clutch and LWFW within the next week or 2. My clutch is just barely slipping but I have a feeling it's going to be toast soon.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Thanks for the explanation, Mike!

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 10-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I had a chance to drive my Father In Law's 997 GT3 last week and took some time to micro-analyze the non-boosted hydraulic engagement.

My impression of the GT3 clutch was that it was simply harder to push in. It still releases very high (just like my TT). The stiffer clutch made it even harder to drive the car smoothly. Maybe this is one of those "get used to it and you'll appreciate the nuance" things.

I hated my LWFW at first and was disappointed that besides the rattle at idle there was considerable gear whine up to 2500 RPM in all gears (nobody seems to talk about that). Months later, I am a big fan of the upgrade.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
I had a chance to drive my Father In Law's 997 GT3 last week and took some time to micro-analyze the non-boosted hydraulic engagement.

My impression of the GT3 clutch was that it was simply harder to push in. It still releases very high (just like my TT). The stiffer clutch made it even harder to drive the car smoothly. Maybe this is one of those "get used to it and you'll appreciate the nuance" things.

I hated my LWFW at first and was disappointed that besides the rattle at idle there was considerable gear whine up to 2500 RPM in all gears (nobody seems to talk about that). Months later, I am a big fan of the upgrade.

Ari, do you have a very quiet exhaust? I have a medium loud exhaust(like fabspeed loud) and I cannot hear any whine, and frankly the clutch chatter is not bad at all. But if your exhaust is really quiet, then that might be why I cannot hear it.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:06 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
Ari, do you have a very quiet exhaust? I have a medium loud exhaust(like fabspeed loud) and I cannot hear any whine, and frankly the clutch chatter is not bad at all. But if your exhaust is really quiet, then that might be why I cannot hear it.
I was thinking the same thing, and I have Fabspeed Maxflo (loud) and a rattling LWFW and I hear both, but I thoroughly enjoying hearing these things.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flash68
I was thinking the same thing, and I have Fabspeed Maxflo (loud) and a rattling LWFW and I hear both, but I thoroughly enjoying hearing these things.
me toooooo

Old 10-11-2009, 05:12 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I'm driving the stock exhaust right now and I hear EVERYTHING, but no gear whine at all. I also have a clutch that engaged very near the floor and hope to have that same level of engagement when I get the car back. A high releasing clutch is something I would never accept from any setup, and is one reason I've been critical of a few other clutch packages from other manufacturers.

Mike

Old 10-11-2009, 09:34 AM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
i always coast in to a stop with my clutch in, the car has NOT stalled in a week or two (i only drive it on sat and sun) yesterday sat it stalled three times on the coast, the cure is simple heel toe . it keeds the revs up and the stalls down. it's sunday will try to remember the heel toe thing and see how the stall thing goes.
am a bad driver and keep my clutsh in at stops so i don,t hear the nuts in a car thing much(gotta break that habit)

Old 10-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Steve, Mine has stalled a few times since April 2008. Mainly when temps drop at the beginning of fall. Once the computer has adjusted, it seems fine. I rarely have to deal with it, as I do heel/toe most of the time, but it does happen once in a blue moon.

Mike

Old 10-12-2009, 06:22 AM
It is due to the lack of inertia by the lwfw, which causes it to stall when rpm suddenly drops and the inertia that would normally carry the firing through is no longer there. makes a lot of sense. Hence why race cars have such a high idle, that and because of wilder cams needing it for the same reason. Tuning is supposed to take care of that. I have not had one stall yet.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:35 AM
That's likely it... I haven't *****ed to Kevin about it, because it's only happened a very few times...

Mike

Old 10-12-2009, 07:51 AM
definitely worth living with. Lwfw has to reduce the internal stresses within the engine/tranny. Also, you are less likely to exceed rev limiter since the engine speed can be dropped fairly quick by the ecu. With the dm, there is always that chance that you will sail through rev limit, before the ecu can shut you down. definitely a safe upgrade. whatever little nuances there are to it, worth living with imo.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:58 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
yeah I wasn't sure I would like it, so I bought brand new DMFW. needless to say I have a brand new DMFW in the box I'll likely never use...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rattle at idle LWFW need some opinions