996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help - Screeching sound around 1500 rpm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:09 AM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
I have the GT2 conversion - no accumulator.

I haven't tried disengaging the clutch to check t-out bearing (good idea).

Thanks for everyone's suggestions - I'll look into the t-out bearing. Problem is that it's intermittent and I'll have to really think quickly to test this theory when it happend.

Thanks again

Old 09-17-2009, 12:10 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
In re-reading the thread, I'm starting to think I should look into the pwr steering pump as the noise only seems to appear when I'm turning. It also sounds like I could have a catastrophic event should it get worse.

Thanks to those that pointed me in this direction.

Rich

Old 09-17-2009, 12:38 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
That reservoir is attached to the power steering........with that valve and that flammable fluid. Before you gt2 upgrade, it was also attached to the slave and accumulator.

Razzle frazzle system......

jeff

Old 09-17-2009, 04:32 PM
RiA
Just talked to Marvin (my Technician) and he states the TSB identifies the problem to occur when the fluid is at temperatures above 212F. I get the noise thus far only when cold (should have mentioned that earlier).

He said we shouldn't rule this out at the issue, but it doesn't completely fit the description in the TSB.

Still looking and will investigate the t-o bearing as well.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:24 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
It is not the throw out bearing. The squeal you describe is well known.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:07 AM
RiA
Originally Posted by landjet
It is not the throw out bearing. The squeal you describe is well known.
how about providing your thoughts on what it is...

Old 09-18-2009, 09:18 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RiA
Just talked to Marvin (my Technician) and he states the TSB identifies the problem to occur when the fluid is at temperatures above 212F. I get the noise thus far only when cold (should have mentioned that earlier).

He said we shouldn't rule this out at the issue, but it doesn't completely fit the description in the TSB.

Still looking and will investigate the t-o bearing as well.
here is the tsb text...I don't believe the sound is limited to the temp.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:51 AM
RiA
I appreciate the info - the sound has only happened a handful of times and only when cold (within the first block of leaving my home). It does not happen when warm/hot and does not continue to make noise. It squeels for a second or two and is gone - only at low rpm.

I have the GT2 hydralic clutch conversion, so the pump is no longer connected to the clutch hydraulics.

It may still be the reservoir, but the symptoms do not completly match the TSB.

Thanks

Old 09-18-2009, 01:17 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I have to agree with the others about the power steering valve. I used to have this problem. I went to the track one weekend and ran the car. Came in at the end of one session and the thing was squealing like a pig. Put the clutch in and it stopped, and lucky for me, it has never come back. That is over a year ago.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:19 PM
RiA
Thanks Larry

Old 09-18-2009, 07:12 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wross996TT
here is the tsb text...I don't believe the sound is limited to the temp.

wow, that is awsome!!! does porsche cover this on an 03 TT, or must the car be under factory warranty to take advantage of this?

+1 rep for you!

Old 09-18-2009, 10:18 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ExclusiveTT
wow, that is awsome!!! does porsche cover this on an 03 TT, or must the car be under factory warranty to take advantage of this?
Unfortunately the car must be under warranty AFAIK...perhaps you could explain it is a safety issue, but I am sure it would depend on who you talk to...you know how it is.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Getting off topic but how do you like the GT2 hydraulics conversion?

My farther in law has a 997 GT3 which has the GT style clutch hydraulics. Besides being much stiffer, it seemed to release pretty high as well. Just like my TT's travel but much stiffer. I personally didn't think it was better. Felt harder to control because the pedal feels like you're pushing a fighting hard spring. To me it was that much harder to control the clutch coming out. Am I missing something?

Old 09-19-2009, 12:32 AM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wross996TT
Unfortunately the car must be under warranty AFAIK...perhaps you could explain it is a safety issue, but I am sure it would depend on who you talk to...you know how it is.

figures... anyone have a connection at Champion Porsche?

Old 09-19-2009, 07:42 AM
Ari, you're only missing a lot more work. I personally love the lite clutch pedal in my turbo. It's one of the reasons it's so easy to drive. I've had many other cars with a heavy clutch and I don't miss that at all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help - Screeching sound around 1500 rpm