996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help - Screeching sound around 1500 rpm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 03:44 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
Help - Screeching sound around 1500 rpm

Intermittent belt squeel or dry bearing sound at around 1500 rpm - only heard it a handful of times.

Seems to have happened when I pull out in first gear and round a corner. Can't say I've heard it in a straight line yet...

I've heard it mainly in the morning, but once or twice in the afternoon after it's sat for the day.

My Tech has pulled the belt and checked all accessory bearings - nothing seems to be the wrong with any of these items.

No codes, no CEL.

Just turned over 50k miles.

Anyone have an idea?

Old 09-16-2009, 04:03 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Hey Rich, welcome back! I saw your car at Marvin's a couple of weeks ago.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:59 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
Thanks Eugene. Yeah - he was looking for the noise, heard it but couldn't identify it. Asked me to bring it back when it became more consistent.

I dropped the car off while I was in the UK on vacation - two weeks in England, Ireland and Scotland (loved the Scotland Highlands and the scotch). Got to attend the National Highland games and the World Pipe Band contest. Liverpool was cool too - well, we enjoyed just about everything we did while we were there.

I've run into some difficult times with losses in the family lately and haven't been here much. I need to spend more time here to take my mind off things...

Hope someone can help identify the noise.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:14 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
does it stop when the clutch pedal is pressed?

Old 09-16-2009, 05:39 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
could be to bearing as i remember it appears when the clutch is engaged.. good luck oh mine was in an older porsche and came and went , but it will get worse

Old 09-16-2009, 05:41 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wross996TT
i have had a similar issue that stops when the clutch is depressed. WHat is that?

Old 09-16-2009, 05:43 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
See TSB 4897 Whistling noise from the engine area. Cause by a check valve vibration in the steering pump....Fix: replace steering pump reservoir....

Old 09-16-2009, 06:32 PM
a66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by RiA
I dropped the car off while I was in the UK on vacation - two weeks in England, Ireland and Scotland (loved the Scotland Highlands and the scotch). Got to attend the National Highland games and the World Pipe Band contest. Liverpool was cool too - well, we enjoyed just about everything we did while we were there.

Simple, the car is pissed because she had to stay home while you went to England, Ireland and Scotland.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Most likely the clutch accumulator. Clutch will begin feeling stiff when car is parked. The whistling sound goes away when the clutch is depressed.

This is a common TT issue

Old 09-16-2009, 07:57 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ari
Most likely the clutch accumulator. Clutch will begin feeling stiff when car is parked. The whistling sound goes away when the clutch is depressed.

ahh! ok, i might take the ooportunity to do the removal/gt2 swap everyone is talking about recently. thanks!

EDIT: in case anyone else wants to know what this is:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...els-great.html

Last edited by ExclusiveTT; 09-16-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:01 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari

Huhhhh! Never heard of a whistling sound due to the accumulator? I have heard of it due to the power steering reservoir as already mentioned.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:03 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Agree with Wross.

And, if it is from the back of the car and goes away, that valve and reservoir contain a flammable fluid that is over the exhaust....

Get it checked out at the dealer and it is worth replacing, if that is it.

I don't think the accumulator makes noise...but could be wrong. That valve is classic.

Jeff

Old 09-16-2009, 08:04 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wross996TT
What is it if it stops when clutch pressed?

Old 09-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Agree with Wross.

And, if it is from the back of the car and goes away, that valve and reservoir contain a flammable fluid that is over the exhaust....

Get it checked out at the dealer and it is worth replacing, if that is it.

I don't think the accumulator makes noise...but could be wrong. That valve is classic.

Jeff

I have heard of a lot of these cars going up in flames for this reason. Now im really curious as to the cause. Is it the accumulator or the powersteering valve? The noise is occassional and goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:35 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Search on flames and such...one guy had an issue and posted the story here a while back.

Good luck.

Jeff

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help - Screeching sound around 1500 rpm