996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clicking Sound in Rear Axle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:44 AM
silvershark is infamous around these parts
Question Clicking Sound in Rear Axle?

Is anyone familiar with a clicking from the rear? It is very light and can only be heard with the window down and driving close to a curb or between buildings. If you are going straight or turning right it is more noticeable. Turn to left and it stops completely. I pulled the CV boot back and the joint looked like it could use more grease. I worked some CV lube into the area and made sure ample grease was around each ball bearing. No change...Is there a kit or are new axles the only answer?

Old 09-20-2009, 07:53 AM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
maybe its your rear brakes? does the noise go away when you apply brake?

Old 09-20-2009, 12:44 PM
I have not checked the brakes, what would cause the clicking there?

Old 09-20-2009, 12:52 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
If it were my car, I guess I would get the car on 4 jack stands, or 2 jack stands and a jack or however you can get ALL 4 wheels up in the air, put it in neutral and go and spin each wheel and look and listen...

Old 09-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by ttboost
If it were my car, I guess I would get the car on 4 jack stands, or 2 jack stands and a jack or however you can get ALL 4 wheels up in the air, put it in neutral and go and spin each wheel and look and listen...
I have done that, I have a lift in my shop. There is no noise when you do this. Only with weight on wheels and rolling.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:38 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by silvershark
I have done that, I have a lift in my shop. There is no noise when you do this. Only with weight on wheels and rolling.
Then it sounds like something is hitting something else? Does it only do it while you arerolling, turning? Have you taken wheels off and looked for "interference marks", such as where something might be hitting? Maybe you might have to take off each rear driveshaft 1 at a time to isolate it from left to right?

Old 09-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I had the same prob, and we checked everything including the LSD but found nothing.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
I had the same prob, and we checked everything including the LSD but found nothing.
Sean, could you isolate the sound... driver or passenger side?

Old 09-20-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Sean, could you isolate the sound... driver or passenger side?

Old 09-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Not sure, we thought it might be the LSD but it was not.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Iceyankee-Tsi is infamous around these parts
For what you are stating, i may think on the inner or outer CV joints of the side where the sound is coming from. If there is some wear, when torque is applied by the differential to the joints in order to move the wheels, there may be a few mills of parts clearance in the unit that may make this "click" sound when engaging prior to movement. Don't know how to explain it better but hpoe you got my point.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:06 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
An ex-girlfriend used to have that sound coming out of her Honda. It turned out to be a bad CV joint.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by silvershark
I have not checked the brakes, what would cause the clicking there?
improperly sized or missing pad retainers/shims, play between pad, rotors, calipers

another car of mine used to do this when reversing but dont see why the condition would change with turning

Last edited by Mad Ness; 09-21-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:56 AM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
I had the same noise and could never figure it out either. We checked axle, rear brake calipers, suspension, wheels, everything and could not find where the noise was coming from.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ick-noise.html

Old 09-22-2009, 08:23 AM
StrathRoy is infamous around these parts
Have you recently changed wheel bolts? I had that sound and it was due to a bolt being just long enough to contact the parking brake (I put on spacers, so I needed longer bolts). If that is it, the sound would increase if you put on the P brake while moving.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clicking Sound in Rear Axle?