996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

intercooler duct air diverter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
intercooler duct air diverter?

Is this piece proven to be effective?

and curious to know if there's any data that shows air flow for the 996tt. seems these ducts only get periferal airflow. Has anyone installed high performance fans on their IC's pull/push SPAL type?

Old 09-23-2009, 11:35 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Just for looks IMHO.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Yep. They probably just marginally impede flow...

Old 09-23-2009, 07:20 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I have them and it feels like they added 13hp...

Old 09-23-2009, 07:26 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Dyno results!!! Now!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Heck, I want someone to add more than one! How about a grill
with 5 or 6? We all know how confused the air is going down
that shoot, and how it needs guidance....

Old 09-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future

The 997 airducts are more forward facing.

I have no idea what I'm talking about btw. but judging by how air bounces off frontends of cars in examples of smoke/wind tunnel tests. I imagine the bulk of the flow pressure passes over and around rather than into the 996 ducts. Unless the air perfectly deflects off the front fenders and wrap back around directly into the ducts. that would be pretty cool, but my guess is it's a turbulent location.

I did a test on my exige 240 which has a hood scoop duct to the IC. Hooked up surface insulated kseries IAT sensors to a log data device. Did tests for dual push fans (and water injection). The issue with the exige inlet is that it's too small. The data showed the fans helped in particular when at lower speeds such as slower sections of a track (or street/mountain road driving). the fans may inhibit air flow but in a bottleneck situation, it actually helped. in the case of the 996tt, duct/IC size and lack of direct airflow may be an issue.

My guess also is that the diverters prob do inhibit marginally as suggested.