996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

For the Evo 8 and STI owners!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 02:47 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
For the Evo 8 and STI owners!

Just wanted to get some feedback from those that have put some miles on the car. Looks like my tranny is about to blow again on my acura so it's time to get rid of her. I've kind of given up my thoughts of the Magnum RT and am back looking at STi's and Evo's (esp. after driving my buddies 330 whp evo last week).

How are they holding upf or you guys? Had any problems? I'm looking to pick one up used w/ relatively low miles and was wondering if you have any tips of what to look out for. Also, any of you have any high mileage cars?

I'm also thinking of saving some cash and buying a used WRX wagon.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-19-2004, 03:00 PM
TheJunglist is infamous around these parts
Get an Evo. Had mine for a while and it was the best car I've driven.

The only problem with the Evo is the stock clutch, but if you don't launch it constantly, you should be fine.

It's a great car, and if I had the chance, I would get another one, but I'm going German as my next car to broaden up my views.

Old 11-19-2004, 03:27 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: For the Evo 8 and STI owners!

Originally posted by Soon2be993tt

I'm also thinking of saving some cash and buying a used WRX wagon.

Thanks in advance.
haha ha the wrx wagon roxs, are u getting a bug eyed wrx or the slanty eyes one?

sti's are cool,the interior is a bit cheap though onboth the mitsu and the wrx

Old 11-19-2004, 03:30 PM
aaronlosey is infamous around these parts
i have an evo with bpu that is about 320 at the wheels, or 380 or so at the crank. great little car, only gripes is they didn't make it a two door without a backseat. i have several hundred autox drag launches on the car, and have beat it every second of its life. the stock clutch gave up at about 5000 miles, but that is to be expected. it was also my fault and the clutch would have lasted alot longer. i have a tein coilover suspension, and run azenis sports in the 245 size.

i've autoxed the sti as well, and it has alot more off turbo torque, and great spoolup. it isn't quite as moddable and won't be for awhile, but eventually when the aftermarket catches up to it, it will be one of those cars like the supra and skyline. the evo is awesome, but it will always be a 2 liter motor ( unless you change that i suppose, then it wouldn't )

i've driven vipers, porsches, m5s, sc m3s, big single turbo cars, ect... and the evo is THE EASIEST CAR TO DRIVE FAST. it won't always be the fastest, and is ment to be modded to shine, but it is easy and safe to drive fast. this also means it gets a little boring though at times if you want to play with the rear end all the time. it can be drifted though if you weight shift the car into corners with a flick or stab of the brakes.

you can't go wrong with either the sti or the evo as long as they aren't your only car. you need a nice soft car for daily driving so they feel like a hammer when you drive them.

Old 11-19-2004, 03:38 PM
996turbo is infamous around these parts
I drove the new MR and the STI. The Evo feels like a turbo charged four banger. The STI felt like a V8!! I was sold on the spot. To me, it was no comparison. Plus, the Evo has a weird rev limiter that cuts of fuel in a progressive manner way before redline.

Old 11-19-2004, 04:26 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Re: Re: For the Evo 8 and STI owners!

Originally posted by 02barebones996
haha ha the wrx wagon roxs, are u getting a bug eyed wrx or the slanty eyes one?

sti's are cool,the interior is a bit cheap though onboth the mitsu and the wrx

probably the bug eye, I like the look so much

I'm not worried about interior, it's comfortable enough for me. I could care less about looks. There are better cars for the price if I wanted to worry about how the interior is, but none of them come close to these things.

Old 11-19-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by aaronlosey

i've driven vipers, porsches, m5s, sc m3s, big single turbo cars, ect... and the evo is THE EASIEST CAR TO DRIVE FAST. it won't always be the fastest, and is ment to be modded to shine, but it is easy and safe to drive fast.

Same here, i've driven a lot of stupid fast cars etc, but this thing was just a blast. He has all BPU's plus HKS cams and AEM EMS. Thing was a lot of fun, what suprised me the most was the ease of driveability. Even in traffic.

Old 11-19-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by 996turbo
I drove the new MR and the STI. The Evo feels like a turbo charged four banger. The STI felt like a V8!! I was sold on the spot. To me, it was no comparison. Plus, the Evo has a weird rev limiter that cuts of fuel in a progressive manner way before redline.

I guess I should go and drive stock versions of both cars, i've yet to drive ones that are stock.

Old 11-19-2004, 04:43 PM
eshaun is infamous around these partseshaun is infamous around these parts
Just a thought:

I am comparing the cars you're looking at as well, but take a look at the new mini cooper S, and 2001 audi S4. They're in the same price range your're looking at with an equal fun factor IMO plus you get a decent euro quality interior.

Old 11-19-2004, 05:04 PM
Pierre996TT has a spectacular aura aboutPierre996TT has a spectacular aura aboutPierre996TT has a spectacular aura about
mmmm, the S4 is a nice competitor .....quattro...but heavier than the EVO & STI and expensive to maintain..

Last edited by Pierre996TT; 11-19-2004 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by eshaun
Just a thought:

I am comparing the cars you're looking at as well, but take a look at the new mini cooper S, and 2001 audi S4. They're in the same price range your're looking at with an equal fun factor IMO plus you get a decent euro quality interior.

I've also considered both. I really like the mini, it's just to small for me (I will have an old school mini one day though). And I've had a few friends w/ S4's and they've been nothing but problems for them. Not something I want to get into, but it is still an option.

Old 11-19-2004, 09:53 PM
Elderfart
rad22 is infamous around these parts
Is this really on topic for this forum?

Old 11-20-2004, 09:10 AM
Sharky and Jack where you at?

Old 11-20-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by rad22
Is this really on topic for this forum?

I'd think so, not everything on this forum is porsche specific. And there are more then a few members that use the STi or Evo for their daily drivers

Old 11-22-2004, 04:50 PM
j993 is infamous around these parts
Just bought a STi

I just bough a '05 STi to be used as a daily driver - incredible! I have a '03 TT as well and the STi is offers 90 % of the entertainment value and it is truly fun. Mods are 1/4 cost of Porsche's. What a deal. Half the stuff Porsche's charges you extra for is included for circa $34K.

Try it.

Jeff

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For the Evo 8 and STI owners!