996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

BMW M5 (E60) Sport Auto Supertest

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 03:02 PM
Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about
Post BMW M5 (E60) Sport Auto Supertest

A bit disappointing, I was expecting a time under 8 mins on the Nürburgring. And I think the 645i has a very similar time on the Hockenheim circuit. Anyway, the acceleration isn't bad.

SportAuto:

Nordschleife: 8.13min
Hockenheim: 1.16,5min (like the 645i)
0-100km/h: 4.5s
0-200km/h: 13.8s

On the track: EDC Sport is slower than Comfort.
Suspension is too comfortable.

Excellent result: 58 out of 80 points new method with wet handling.

Last sentence: "With the announcment, the M5 would combine the every day requirements with racing demands, the M-GmbH have claimed a bit too much."

WOW! Looks like they almost tried to copy Mercedes, straight-forward rocket. (not saying the M5 is slow, but I and many others expected much more)

Old 11-19-2004, 03:12 PM
I Looovvee Turrboos
TTRon is infamous around these parts
That is a bit disappointing. Ill stick to my RS6 thank you very much at least until the new RS6 comes out. I love this beast that i get to drive every single day rain or shine.

Old 11-19-2004, 03:42 PM
Banned
Life Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud of
Lets not let one review make up our minds gent. Lets hear with others have to say before jumping to conclusion.

Old 11-19-2004, 03:42 PM
996turbo is infamous around these parts
I think an E55 is still faster, however, I read an M5 without it's speed governer will crack 200mph according to Road & Track.

Old 11-19-2004, 05:38 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

****ing BM Trouble U... so it's ugly and now it can't even perform as claimed.

I love it how they claimed an initial 0-200km time as fast the GT2, only to find that it's about a second slower. Now it's at least 13 seconds slower than the 8 minutes or under than they claimed.

Sport Auto is right, BMW is a little too over optimisitic, especially thinking that people will actually think this car is good looking.

Old 11-19-2004, 06:20 PM
Z0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant future
I have a vid in german of a CLS55 vs M5 .., the CLS wins the comparo.
I prefer the benz styling anyways ...

Old 11-19-2004, 06:25 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
We'll see what happens, european mags are notorious for slow posted times. The first drives I've seen say nothing compares to the M5 in driving dynamics and sheer driving involvement. I guarantee the M5 will set a benchmark for super sedans..........we'll wait and see

excerpt from R&T----and they only ESTIMATE times
Run up through the gears out of a slow corner and the engine pulls with a smoothness that easily rivals the current M5's engine, arguably one of the finest V-8s around. Compared with competitors like the supercharged Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG and turbocharged Audi RS 6, the M5 gives up a measure of torque, but between the snappier shifts and the intoxicating V-10 exhaust note, BMW's latest delivers a decidedly sportier driving experience.

With its fourth-generation M5, BMW not only vaults back to the top of the super-sedan ranks, but also proves that ultra-high technology and driving excitement can indeed coexist in the same vehicle. Few, if any, cars have the wealth of electronics helping them get down the road, while at the same time proving equally entertaining to drive. The M5 does just that, wrapping sports-car performance in a sedan body, then letting the driver decide which of the two it really is.

Car and Driver
The M5 required so many platform changes that you can imagine the engineers letting out a collective groan when the latest 5-series appeared at their door for treatment. However, they were given the freedom and money to make their kind of car. What the M5 will cost the public has not yet been set, as this car is still a year away from our shores, but expect the price to start at about $90,000. That's expensive, but the next-cheapest four-seater that provides the M5's dynamic thrills is Ferrari's 612 Scaglietti, and it goes for $260,000. Like moonshine, the M5 provides the same kick for far less money.

AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE
Against the stopwatch, the 500-horsepower M5 is in the same league as the Audi RS6 and the Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG, because the makers of all three quote a 0-to-62-mph time of 4.7 seconds, and all three bump up against the limiter at 155 mph. But the BMW is different, because it involves you and feels as if it was built by people with passion. Putting the M5 through its paces is a spine-tingling and pupil-widening experience. This is a high-performance five-seater that can be fine-tuned to meet individual preferences and driving stylesThe Audi RS6 was desirable because of its all-weather traction and almost irrational sensation of very high speed. The Mercedes E55 AMG has turbine-like grunt and soulless controls. The new M5, in contrast, is intuitive and involves the driver every step of the way. It is as stable as its rivals in a straight line, but its steering is lively and soulful. It is as fast through corners, but its handling is sublime and unambiguous. It is as strong on the brake and as energetic on the throttle, but it never forgets to generate feel and feedback The M5 could spell bad news for your driving license, but it's guaranteed to brighten up the dullest day. Just about the only car that can rival it in terms of speed from A to B, smiles per miles, and everyday usability is the latest 911 Carrera S. The Porsche costs roughly the same money, and it may rank even higher in street cred, but the BMW offers five seats, a family-size trunk, and a less challenging attitude when pushed.

Lou

Last edited by LSM; 11-19-2004 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Porsche Fiend
I just wish Porsche would build a 4-door sedan. I guarantee you their turbo version would stomp on the M5 all day long... Just like how the Cayenne Turbo stomps on the X5 4.8is

Old 11-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Pierre996TT has a spectacular aura aboutPierre996TT has a spectacular aura aboutPierre996TT has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by TTRon
That is a bit disappointing. Ill stick to my RS6 thank you very much at least until the new RS6 comes out. I love this beast that i get to drive every single day rain or shine.
I am 100% with you!...you have an awesome car

last day when I dyno my 996tt here at MAC, Parker, Colorado was a guy before me with a sweet RS6 with Chip, Airfilters, and exhaust. He did 425 rwhp & 445 rwtq, stock was 375.

Old 11-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Porsche Fiend
It's funny, the magazines used to say the same thing about the old M5, but honestly, owning both there is no way the M5 is in the same league as a GT2/GT3 or even a Turbo.

Old 11-19-2004, 06:43 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
The M5 is a beast, no way in a million years would I want an RS6 over one. ****, you want times check out the old M5's numbers vs the RS6, neck and neck. The new one is just everything the old one was with better handling and 107 hp boost!! Oh, BTW, the 911 Turbo supposedly does 0-200km/h in 14.6, looks like the M5 did it in 13.8, not to shabby for a 4 door.

Lou

Old 11-19-2004, 07:16 PM
KompressorKev is infamous around these parts
hmmm i really don't know what to think of the E60 M5. i mean i appreciate its engineering philosophy with regards to the engine. definitely appreciate 100+hp/liter n/a from a 5-liter and v10 with itb's but............................

i'm confused. some said it's under 8 minutes at Nordschlife, and that it outaccelerates a 996 Turbo at times and yet this test shows disappointing performance compared to what has been previously claimed. i mean this car is fast but all in respect to its context. maybe too much hype and too much pride.

also, styling and the 7-speed SMG tranny got me a bit doubtful of this car. i was hoping the M makeover would really do wonders and i think it has done a great job with the platform...but i think i got sucked into the hype and now must be mindful of exactly the limits of what this platform can produce from a factory tuner...i mean M's great but only so great it can do to one car and sell it mass production. i didn't like the E60 to begin with and M did a good job but a porsche beater as some magazines once claimed? please...

Old 11-19-2004, 07:32 PM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts
Track conditions?

Old 11-19-2004, 07:43 PM
MJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud of
Originally posted by Hamann7
I just wish Porsche would build a 4-door sedan. I guarantee you their turbo version would stomp on the M5 all day long... Just like how the Cayenne Turbo stomps on the X5 4.8is
Ya....what happened to this idea.....Merc ripped it off a bit with the CLS....

Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2004, 07:50 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by Hamann7
It's funny, the magazines used to say the same thing about the old M5, but honestly, owning both there is no way the M5 is in the same league as a GT2/GT3 or even a Turbo.
Accelaration between 100-200 km/h

BMW M5 E60 8.8 s
360 modena 11.4 s
360 stradale 11.1 s
996 turbo 10.4 s
996 GT3 (2003) 10.2 s
996 GT3 RS 9.3 s
SL55 AMG 9.5 s
575M Maranello 9.3s
Gallardo 9.0 s
Murcielago 8.9 s
996 GT2 (462ps) 8.4 s

Source: SportAuto

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BMW M5 (E60) Sport Auto Supertest