996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Should I get the full Protomotive intake system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !

Old 09-25-2009, 05:31 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Name:  co co @ 4 mths.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  287.1 KB

Old 09-25-2009, 06:21 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
i think joe and mark summed up best !the end!

Old 09-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Paulie one word comes to mind to describe Co Co (for those of you that don't know, that is Paulie's dog)

****!!!!

Old 09-26-2009, 06:00 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Part of JoeTT's quote:

Regardless i think the Proto intake is another good way of "skinning the cat" so to speak and really is better suited for the purpose built high hp cars .As others have said the filter location is great for power but not so great for large tire setups and filter longevity.My 2 cents.

+1

My Proto Set-up was set-up all at once and may be considered 1st generation.
The only problem I had was rubbing on the hose clamps when I mounted GT2 wheels
with Pilot Sport Cups on my car at TX2K8. Clearance has been improved and Markski
has the right Idea with making it OVAL in places. Evoms has a killer set-up as well, very top notch. EPL has done amazing things with the stock set-up also.
Keep in mind that the filters in the fenderwells need cleaning/replacing, and
the sound of the blow off valves in the fenders is sublime.

Good luck

Old 09-26-2009, 06:26 AM
The rubbing is a concern, especially since I don't know anyone (well, except Kid GT2, who hasn't really driven his set up much) with this set up in a GT2.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:57 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Mine does not rub on the pipes any more! LOL, I have the Proto system but installed it like Markski's set up, so that did away with any rubbing, as for road dirt, its like that with any set up so whats the diffrence! The turbo's need to breath, I think you will notice a diffrence Sean, talk to Markski and see,
Good Luck with what ever you do.
Protomotives or Markskis are very well made.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:00 AM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
hey doc... if you pressure test it you will know if its rubbing through ... if it does rub through the car will idle funny because its getting un-metered air(maf)

tim
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
The rubbing is a concern, especially since I don't know anyone (well, except Kid GT2, who hasn't really driven his set up much) with this set up in a GT2.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
I think Tim is right. I have used both intake systems. I went from the EVO hard pipe kit to the full Protomotive and back to the EVO hard pipe kit again. I did not notice any difference in performance between the two kits. That includes spool and accelleration. If anything, I think a good dyno tune can have more of an effect than the intake style, that is if you are beyond the OEM pipes and are comparing the 70mm EVOMS hard pipes vs. the Proto style pipes. As an example, with my latest EPL tune (it has some improvements that have been developed over last year's file), I have better throttle response and quicker spool than ever and I think it is tune related.

That said, I do miss the externally vented diverter valve sound upon let-up of gas, which was kind of cool and a by product of the full Proto system. I am not a fan of external wastegate sound though and would not put those on my car after riding in a car with them...way too much noise for me!

good info, thanks.
Dennis

Could it be that at the 600-650 whp the evo tubing is good enough, and the hard pipe systems aren't necessary until the 800 whp levels?? Anyone else experience this.

Sean, if you are at this level is it really worth it over what you currently have which is not stock and is already top quality?

Old 09-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Tim,

I'm pretty sure the part that would tend to rub is the fresh air intake pipe with the filter on the end, which would not affect the metered air, but would introduce debris to the turbos, if it were to develop a hole. Chances are you would develop a flat before wearing through the metal pipe, however, if the wheel wore through the metal pipe, you would probably not know until your turbos had damage and the car was not running properly due to turbo damage.

There is also a risk of the pipe being hit from road debris like a stick or other object that is kicked up "just the right way" to catch the pipe and subsequently dislodge it from the turbo itself. With the close tolerance, it would not take much to get in between the tire and pipe to exert some severe force. If this were to happen, your turbos would be sucking rocks and dust into the motor until you were aware of it, which could be minutes, days or weeks, even. Also, if the filter ever came off for any reason, you would not know it, as it can not be seen without bumper removal. Again, you could end up driving around with unfiltered air for months without knowing it. IMO, these are a few things to consider with this style of intake and played a part in my going back to the OEM configuration. When I ran this style of intake, I did routine checks of the fresh air pipe and the turbo connection on a weekly basis.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 09-26-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
an some of you with experience and photos of these different set ups post some photo's and diagrams of these set ups and locations? Both in the car and out?

Old 09-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
EVOMS hard pipe kit installed

Protomotive kit installed

OEM intake, air box, diverter valves, cooling fan, etc. removed - diverters mounted on IC's and a lot of plumbing is re-worked. Replacement Ford MAF relocated to just before throttle body.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 09-26-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:13 PM
thanks John

Old 09-26-2009, 08:36 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
i forgot to mention, I have the S Car Go carbon fiber lower intake

New rear appearance
Custom brakes setup

Those intakes were were designed for my car on my dime.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:44 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
I find this thread a little interesting.

Some motors make power others don't see a difference. If you start with the intake you are in trouble from the get go. If you happened to make power then you got lucky and found your weakest link.

If you don't know what your motor is flowing, then you won't have the slightest idea what volume you need to flow at the intake pipes. It is either sufficient or it isn't for the motor. If you don't know the flow of both then you are just guessing.

The only freebie/torque hp that you obtain is by routing the tubes away from heat sources along with using a material that does not absorb heat or become a heat sink. This really makes a difference.

Last edited by cjv; 09-26-2009 at 08:46 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I get the full Protomotive intake system?