996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tips on researching prior service history

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 02:40 PM
smithk3933 has a spectacular aura aboutsmithk3933 has a spectacular aura about
Tips on researching prior service history

Any hints on how to research the past service history on a 996 where the selling dealer doesn't have the records. This is pretty typical once the car passes through auction or independant dealers.

I called Porsche NA and asked if they could tell me anything even which dealers might have seen the car in the past. This worked when I was buying a 03 BMW M3. Then I called the individual dealers and they share the services they had performed given the VIN.

Porsche NA would only tell me if there were any outstanding recalls. Big help!

I've tried contacting the Porsche dealers in the immediate area of the city which shows up on CARFAX and sometimes get some hits.

Any other ideas on locating prior service history?

Thanks.

Keith

Old 09-25-2009, 03:45 PM
rosesplus is infamous around these parts
Keith,

I'd try P NA again, they told me they can release info on any warranty work performed, where it was done and also the original selling dealer. They don't keep service history. Otherwise I'd continue what you have been doing and keep ringing dealers.
Good luck
Mark

Old 09-26-2009, 06:35 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Make an appointment with the director or manager of the service department. Bring VIN # with a bottle of wine (or two). Works every time.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:42 PM
m5guy is infamous around these parts
When you run the Carfax, it will show you the City and State that the car was originally registered in, and typically the general region that subsequent inspections, title changes, etc took place. You could try and narrow down the Porsche dealers in the same region, and with VIN # in hand, contact each to see what knowledge they have.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:37 PM
frankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to all
Hey there,

I have an active CARFAX acct. Post the vin and I will post the report 4 ya!