996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Sudden Bad Oil Leak...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 06:18 PM
GARY J is infamous around these parts
Sudden Bad Oil Leak...

I have an 01 996 Protomotive 700 with about 20k miles. I bought the car from a fellow 6speeder and it has been a great car so far. Today, on the way home, I noticed a little oil smoke blow by me at a stop light. When I got home, I noticed the smell of burning oil from the exhaust area. I then noticed that there were little droplets of oil on the back of the car. After looking into it a little closer, I found a small puddle of oil on the garage floor under the driver's side turbo. I started the car and noticed that it was a pretty moderate leak with a rate of about one drip per two seconds. I checked the oil level and it was low. After adding a quart, it was back to normal level. The next thing I did was jack the car up and see if I could find the source. This is the first time I have taken a good look at the layout under there, and it's all a bit foreign to me, but it looks like the leak is coming from the top of the center block of the turbo (not sure what that's called). I'm assuming the oil feed line is up there and it drains through the turbo and into the small reservoir under the turbo.

I checked all of the bolts and everything was tight. Just cuious if anyone has any experience with this. I'm not sure if I should pull the turbo off and send it to Proto or if it might be a simple fix. I'm just not sure what would have let loose so quickly. The car hasn't dripped one drop of oil and then all of a sudden there is a full blown leak. The car only has a few thousand miles on it since the upgrades were installed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
GJ

Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2009, 06:36 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Maybe a banjo fitting, if it has one, on the oil supply line for the turbo, or the line is just loose?

Old 09-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
if the oil hose is steel braided type, rubber inside could have hardened from the heat and cracked.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:00 PM
GARY J is infamous around these parts
Everything underthe turbo is tight and nothing looks out of place. I guess I need to drop the turbo to see what's going on up top. Time to use the search button. Thanks.