996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help me make a decision - > E46M or 996 TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
I had a similar choice to you. I could have purchased a friends 2003 M3 with a wopping 3000 miles in black, just like I like it or a 996tt. I had actually been wanting my friends M3 for a while, and he was selling it for 37k at the time. I went with the 996. I think you will be happy with the M3, but once you own the 996TT, you won't want to go to an M3, so get the M3 first to satisfy your itch. It is like a CarreraS or Carrera4S, they are great cars, but once you get the TT, they don't compare and you will have a hard time stepping down.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:13 PM
solekeeper is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by torresmd
It was an SMG. I did not have any issues with the SMG except a faulty relay once. I had multiple little things go bad, nothing major just a pain in the ***. The engine and transmission were very solid in the M3. My 996TT dyno'd at 550 awhp, it is not stock.

Stock, would you be able to recall the whp?

Thanks!

Old 09-28-2009, 07:07 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I came from an E39 M5 and as much as I love my TT it can never replace the M5 in my heart, but it sure does give me amnesia on the track. The 996 TT lacks that special character to me, is more of a blunt instrument, but it's freaking reliable and crazy fast with only a few mods. Just my opinion. But I got nothing from driving an E46 M3 at all, didn't have the grunt of the M5, felt kinda weak. And if you want engine mods, the M3 should be out completely unless you are going real big in which case you'll likely blow the budget anyways. Also the reliability of a 600 hp M3 couldn't possibly match the same reliability in a 996 TT.

Pretty simple: If you want revs, neutral handling, tossability, precision = M3

Power, durability, tunability, pure speed = TT

Old 09-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I would say a TT is MORE reliable than an M3.

Had both and loved the M3 although never as much as the TT. Shouldn't your choice be E92 M3 vs. 996TT?

Old 09-28-2009, 08:23 PM
dlg9779 is infamous around these parts
I went from a supercharger E46 to a 996tt, they are totally different beasts! I am actually selling the M. It is a 2005 M3 with 12,000 miles fully modded. Dinan supercharger, Dinan throttle boddies, Dinan exhaust, pss9's, vorstiener hood, side skirts, diffuser,and bootlid, Fikse wheels with Michelin ps2 ,brembo brakes on all 4, full carbon fiber interior. Alpine white with cinnamon interior and SMG. I am forgetting a lot of things im sure! Shoot me an email if you have any interest thewholesalehouse01@yahoo.com

Old 09-28-2009, 09:20 PM
as4driver is infamous around these parts
I am currently between the e92 M3 and a 996tt. I am def leaning toward the 996tt becuase the opportunities are endless, and the drivetrain is so well developed. People are making almost 700hp with stock bottom end. AMAZING!!

GL
Evan

Old 09-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Banned
SaikoE36 is infamous around these parts
I actually went from a e36 m3 supercharged into the 996tt i still own both cars but its so far different from the m3, and has amazing power

Originally Posted by as4driver
I am currently between the e92 M3 and a 996tt. I am def leaning toward the 996tt becuase the opportunities are endless, and the drivetrain is so well developed. People are making almost 700hp with stock bottom end. AMAZING!!

GL
Evan
I actually was in the same position as you. i went with the 996tt im happy with my choice. I always wanted the e92 m3 but when i started to read about the 996tt, became more interested in it, Test drove both cars and i guess the 996tt won

Old 09-28-2009, 11:07 PM
davman is infamous around these parts
I had a new at the time 03 E46 M3 with SMG. The novely of the SMG wore off in a hurry and came to hate it. No doubt a cable car but it felt limp wristed and weak, but was never slow (if you know what I mean). No shove in back midrange just smooth (boring) torque and a sweet chassis, but so what. If I to be honest I also thought it sounded rubbish and tinny. Sold it and got into 951's, and some time down the line got a E39M5 which was so much better than the E46M3 for me, felt like a proper ballsey car with its V8 engine and wayward but controllable back end. Regarding the 996TT, there is nothing that would make me go back. The 996TT was the car I have been looking for all the while. Simple flash on a stock car and you have yourself an animal that provides far more accessible performance on the street IMHO.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:48 PM
M3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the roughM3 S3-R is a jewel in the rough
I drive a 2003 E46 M3 with Dinan S/C as a daily car. Weekend car is a 997tt . The M3 is really a great car much more practical than the 997tt. If your talking all out power the TT wins hands down. How ever the M3 on the track is very very good. You really have to mod the hell out of a M3 to make it a great car. Example my mod list consists of all performance mods went well over 40K. This made the car a faster and more on the level of a stock 996 tt. Repair bill on a M3 can be very expensive. Make sure to check rear control arm bushing and sub-frame. This repair alone can cost over 3K. SMG pump 2K. If not a cheap car to maintain.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:57 AM
soslo is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all the replies guys. I have a difficult decision ahead of me haha.

To all the E46 guys that moved to the Porsche, how does the E46 M3 compare to the Porsche for daily driving?

To all the 996 TT guys, what are your costs on average per year for maintenance, tires, etc.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Michael-Dallas is infamous around these parts
If I had only one car, then, out of your options, I would go for the E46 M3 because it's more practical. It's a car of compromises, which can be both good and bad.

Originally Posted by soslo
I can afford pretty much any E46 but with the 996 TTs I feel like I can only afford the bottom range of the cars on market.
The 996 turbo is MUCH more fun and nicer than the E46 M3, but that ^^^ says it all for me.

Get the M3, save the difference in price and insurance, and in a few years you'll be in a 997 turbo.

///Michael

Old 09-29-2009, 02:46 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Seems to me like it's an easy decision from a car perspective. I owned both at the same time for a while and can I would def. pick the turbo.

However, is it worth almost double the price for you...that's the question only you can answer.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:49 PM
charleedog is infamous around these parts
Facing a similar dilemma right now, actually.

I listed my E46 M3 for sale right before I bought a 996TT from socal. (Should arrive in a few weeks, title needs to be released by dmv).

Tomorrow it is potentially being sold to a guy after a PPI.

And I'm honestly having some second thoughts about parting with it.

I realize that the P car is twice the speed, power, pedigree, etc. but the M3 is still a hell of a car, and it's a lot more usable for everyday stuff.

I almost feel like cancelling the inspection and keeping both cars...

(How's that for helping you decide them [])

If you can, get both.

-Chris

Old 09-30-2009, 05:50 AM
jimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the rough
I've owned an e36 M3 (Dinan supercharged) and an e46 M3 convertible. They were both great cars and I miss them...until I look at the Turbo.

For me, the M3 was not the car I dreamed about when I was a kid. It was the 911 Turbo with the "Whale Tail" that I drooled over. I have today's version of it, and can't really put into words how nice it is to look at her everyday. The sound of those turbo's spooling up and thrusting you back in your seat is awe inspiring.

I've had her for about a year, and she's been a great daily driver so far. I'm sure you could get an Active Autowerks or HPF M3 to get somewhat closer in performance, but if you spend the cash on that, you might as well have gotten the 996 TT no?

Old 09-30-2009, 12:40 PM
anikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ari
I would say a TT is MORE reliable than an M3.

Had both and loved the M3 although never as much as the TT. Shouldn't your choice be E92 M3 vs. 996TT?
Must disagree. I have owned 3 M3 generations since 1997, and by far E46 was the most reliable (even compare to 996TT). It is true that earlier models 01 and 02 E46 did suffer from premature crank failures, however, BMW did step up and have them replaced even when you were officially out of warranty.

I would be inclined to say >04 E46 M3 are great everyday cars, the only issue I can think of is a structural weakness to tower or where the rear suspension meets the body. Those with track hours can attest to that one. However, I do believe that there is a class action going on to force BMW to address the repair of these type failures.

But ( and you knew this was coming), the pure joy of driving a 996TT can not be compared to a E46 M3. However, I do not use my car as a daily drive, so I am not gonna voice an opinion on its suitability.

Good Luck,
-Arman

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help me make a decision - > E46M or 996 TT