996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help me make a decision - > E46M or 996 TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:49 AM
soslo is infamous around these parts
Help me make a decision - > E46M or 996 TT

Sorry for the long post guys but I have a dilemma that I been pondering the last few weeks. I'm currently 26 years old and am looking into getting either a E46 M3 or 996 TT 6spd. I have a decent paying job and have been saving for a few years for one of these cars. I've owned 5 E36 M3s throughout the course of my driving history and have definitely appreciated how its just a great all around car. I've driven the E46 and although its not as raw as the E36 I definitely appreciate the luxury and comfort of the new E46. I never driven the 996TT but I have ridden in one and it was a pretty intense experience. I know a lot of you guys here have upgraded from the E46 and would like to hear your experience. Here are some factors that might explain my indecision better.

Price - >
E46 - 20-30k
996TT - 38-42k

These are the price ranges that I am willing to pay for each car respectively. There are a lot of M3s in that price range which fit my criteria: low mileage, clean carfax, in great condition, light mods, etc. Pristine 996 TTs are harder to find in that price range, but they do exist. I can afford pretty much any E46 but with the 996 TTs I feel like I can only afford the bottom range of the cars on market. That doesn't mean I can't find a pristine one though because they do pop up.

Insurance - >
E46 - $700 a year
Porsche - $1100 a year

These are actual quotes I received from Wawanesa. I have a clean driving record.

Maintenance - >
Both cars are fairly reliable from what I've read. The big thing is that the labor on Porsche seems to be a lot more than BMW. I am aware of the 2nd gear popout issue and I will do everything in my power to make sure I do not buy one that has it. I've also heard that the Porsche eats tires a lot faster than normal sports cars.

Aftermarket Parts - >
I am definitely going to be modifying the car, (wheels, suspension, engine).
There is huge support and affordable aftermarket parts for the E46M. With Porsche, although they are high quality, parts are very expensive. Good example would be coilovers, 2k will get you the top of the line suspension for the E46 M3, whereas you'll have to spend 3-4k just to put a decent set of coilovers on the 996TT.

My needs - >
I'd like to be able to daily drive the car with occasional track/auto x events. I'd like the car to be almost bulletproof and problem-free. I am willing to do the required maintenance and what not but I would not like the car to be a money pit. I love how the E46M looks and handles but I feel like I will always regret not going for the 996TT. However, I am afraid that if something goes wrong on the Porsche, I will be sinking thousands and thousands of dollars into it just to get it running.

Sorry for the long post guys. Comments and opinions are welcome.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:37 AM
solekeeper is infamous around these parts
Interesting, I'm in the market for an e46M or a Porsche as well.
I'm undecided on the porsche however, because I know if I buy one, things would be a little too tight on me (financially wise) So I'm leaning a bit more towards the M.
I had one question though, how come Porsche's eat up more tires then other normal cars? I haven't heard of this.. But I'm new to this site so I'm still doing my homework.
Or is this problem driver related?

Old 09-28-2009, 11:44 AM
torresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond repute
I went from an E46 M3 to my 996TT. I loved my M3, handled great, fun to drive but just cannot compare to a 996TT. When I had my M3 for 4 years, it was in the shop for numerous reasons, also a real pain in the *** to modify if you plan on going that route. My 996TT is so reliable, never been in the shop, not once. The 996TT will out perform the M3 in every way. BTW my 996 does not go through tires any faster than my M3 did. It was virtually the same.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:56 AM
solekeeper is infamous around these parts
Was your M SMG?^ Noob question coming*
How much hp does your 04' Turbo have?^

Old 09-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
If your priorities are a balance and handling for the money, then E46.

If you have more money and want hp the 996 is the way to go.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:10 PM
torresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond repute
It was an SMG. I did not have any issues with the SMG except a faulty relay once. I had multiple little things go bad, nothing major just a pain in the ***. The engine and transmission were very solid in the M3. My 996TT dyno'd at 550 awhp, it is not stock.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
I also came from an E46 M3. Although I liked the car, it didn't do much for me. It is a nicely balanced car... quick...but not fast. The turbo is a more "extreme" choice and the sky is the limit on engine mods.

In terms of $ of modifications, there are lots of deals around. If you are ok with buying some slightly used parts, I think you will come out ok

Edwin

Old 09-28-2009, 12:31 PM
911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !911-AL Is a GOD !
I have a 996tt that I love but... I would also love to have an E46 M3 as well

You can never have too many cars.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:37 PM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
If your priorities are a balance and handling for the money, then E46.

If you have more money and want hp the 996 is the way to go.

Perfectly said. E46M3 can be made to handle great for $$ but power gains are a non starter unless you SC/Turbo the M3, then you should have gotten the 996TT.

Peter

Old 09-28-2009, 01:04 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
Soslo,
Get TT man. You will have big grin like Joker face everytime when you blast it.
To all TT owners, Check your face when you drive yours!

Old 09-28-2009, 01:11 PM
beckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the roughbeckham23 is a jewel in the rough
I am another that moved from e46 M3 > 996tt. As you know about the price range already, you do need to make sure if you are comfortable with the 996tt price and its maintenance works. It's not just the price, that's only entry tickets...everything else from mods to maintenance, Porsche at least doubles the ///Ms.

I modded my M3 as well...but you don't really get much from mods on that inline-6, unless you'll take the force induction route ($6k+)...then u'll be thinking, I could've gotten the 996tt to begin with...

Old 09-28-2009, 01:59 PM
jcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like you'll be overstretched with the 996TT. I'd go with the E46 if I were you. However, if you can stick it out for the next 10 years on the TT, I think it'll payoff for you from the perspective of being able to enjoy the car and the price at which you can sell the car.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:12 PM
lbmw is infamous around these parts
if you are not tight with budget then go for the 996tt. i also came from e46 m3 and upgraded to porsche 996 tt. the price for maintainance/mods/etc is doubled. the tt price mgiht have dropped but certainly not the maintanance/mods/others . the tt is a different car and a lot faster than the m3.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
2 sets of rear tires for every 1 set of fronts. Rears are good for 8k without tracking it. Car is awd with a lot of weight over the rear wheels. This is my third TT and all have been the same. Cars are rock solid though if you treat it the right way. You can drive it hard just do the required maintainance and keep proper oil levels. Good luck.

Last edited by Jersey Shore; 09-28-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:20 PM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
I owned an E46 M3 Cab with SMG. Now I own an 04 TT Cab Steptronic (X50).

I love them both but they are wildly different. Don't buy without a lengthy TT drive.

Personally, I actually liked the comfort of the M3 better. It's an amazing car.

I do, however, love my TT and in Iowa it is the only choice. AWD gets me to work every day. The M3 would be a summer car.

My suggestion? Buy the M3. Enjoy it for a few years. Sell it and buy a TT then.

Best of both worlds.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help me make a decision - > E46M or 996 TT