996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Can a STOCK 996TT Motor Put Down 800-900RWHP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:17 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Mike is pushing almost 800rwhp on pump+meth, and our pump is not as good as pump in east coast either. Ours is junk

Originally Posted by jhuang25
Mike's gotta be close no? On 91 octane/meth... impressive as hell imo.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:26 PM
David C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to all
Just out of curiosity why would the bent rods necessarily be linked to measured engine torque. Or, I guess the question could more clearly be stated; would it be a correct to assume that the measured torque represents some sort of upper bound on the stock engine rods?

Couldn't it just as easily have been a fuel, or timing, issue that resulted in pre-ignition.

Looking at the photo's; the force required to buckle the very short rod must have been enormous.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:02 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
for reference my car made >700 ft/lbs (~1.35-1.4 bar) on a mustang dyno in AWD with stock motor and the car has been running great ever since...

Old 10-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
I'd like to see someone spend the money and put a SPI 800 package on a 996...so far to my knowledge they are all on 997's. Tim replaces everything you mention above (of course leaves the heads stock), so hard to say how close the performance would be, but I bet it would be pretty close.

I agree though that a 997 is cheaper to mod to decent hp levels compared to a 996....
Jamie, we have Dean's 996 turbo with the SPI 800 kit on it. of course we had to modify the injectors and fuel system, but the internals are stock. Car is running fantastic. My point being that the 996 turbo stock rods have show to withstand 700 rwhp so far.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by David C
Just out of curiosity why would the bent rods necessarily be linked to measured engine torque. Or, I guess the question could more clearly be stated; would it be a correct to assume that the measured torque represents some sort of upper bound on the stock engine rods?

Couldn't it just as easily have been a fuel, or timing, issue that resulted in pre-ignition.

Looking at the photo's; the force required to buckle the very short rod must have been enormous.
If that severe a detonation was the cause of the vertical force on
the rod, it is likely to have produced other severe damage to the
pistons, head gaskets etc, and we should presume that it would
be reported if that were the case. Yes, the force needed to bend
rods is big, but so is the force needed to supply over 400 ft/lbs of
torque at a crank radius of much less than a foot, at the piston
speeds reached at 7000 rpm. pistons and rods must be engineered
with some margin, but not too much, else performance suffers *and*
extra strain of the weight is passed down to the crank and bearings
etc. It should not be surprising that Porsche designed a closely
optimized setup for about the power output the motor delivers as is,
and that those who go on power-adding adventures will be discovering
the systematic limits one-by-one as they are tripped over.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:19 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
And from a Turbo S motor.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:49 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dk996tt
Jamie, we have Dean's 996 turbo with the SPI 800 kit on it. of course we had to modify the injectors and fuel system, but the internals are stock. Car is running fantastic. My point being that the 996 turbo stock rods have show to withstand 700 rwhp so far.
Hey David,
I thought that was the plan, but that he asked Tym to tune it way down. Did he ever put it on kill mode?

Old 10-01-2009, 07:06 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !

David,

There was no signs of pre-ignition on the pistons and the head gasket was fine. The only sign of problems was a ticking noise after the launch that we could not identify right away.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
Hey David,
I thought that was the plan, but that he asked Tym to tune it way down. Did he ever put it on kill mode?
we did turn it down from 21 psi to 18 psi for him. we want him to get used to the power level without wrapping it around a telephone pole. once he gets the used to the power, we will turn it back up. right now, i think he is very happy. also, once we tune it on C16, i am quite sure it will make 750+ rwhp.

Last edited by dk996tt; 10-01-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:06 AM
David C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to allDavid C is a name known to all
David,

There was no signs of pre-ignition on the pistons and the head gasket was fine. The only sign of problems was a ticking noise after the launch that we could not identify right away.
cjv,

What would you consider to be signs of pre-ignition on the piston?

Could it be that this engine saw only a few rev's (one or two even) of pre-ignition and then once the rods had yielded, the compression ratio was significantly degraded that pre-ignition stopped? Would you expect to see this evidence, of one or two ignitions, on the piston?

I am not trying to be argumentative. I learn the most when I carefully push back a little.

The ticking, I would think, could have been flat spots or derformations in the bearings, or wrist pins, that hammered on reversing loads during a rotation cycle.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
David, by 'pre-ignition' you mean detonation, correct? Not just combustion started too
soon, right? In order to make a significantly greater than planned-for force, we would
be looking for an explosion, which could chip off or deform the upper outer edges of
the pistons where they cantilever out over the topmost piston ring. That, and blowing
out the head gasket...

And as to clicking, flatspots in bearings at either end, or if the piston pins
bent slightly, they would become like a mini crank where they would rotate
to extend the length between the piston and the crank when the piston
was being drawn out of the cylinder during the intake cycle, and then they
would snap to the other way to shorten the distance when the piston was
resisting pressure, during either the compression or exhaust stroke. Just
thinkin...

Oooh, I just realized that the rods seem to have bent in a way that doesn't
just shorten them. They seem to have bent sideways so they are also now
wanting to displace the piston sideways. That, combined with any sort of
new play in the bearings would cause an ugly clicking, either as piston slap
at 90 degrees to what you'd normally expect it, or at the big end as the rods
got forced side-to-side...
Joe

Last edited by Joe Weinstein; 10-02-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:49 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
cjv,

What would you consider to be signs of pre-ignition on the piston?

Could it be that this engine saw only a few rev's (one or two even) of pre-ignition and then once the rods had yielded, the compression ratio was significantly degraded that pre-ignition stopped? Would you expect to see this evidence, of one or two ignitions, on the piston?

I am not trying to be argumentative. I learn the most when I carefully push back a little.

The ticking, I would think, could have been flat spots or derformations in the bearings, or wrist pins, that hammered on reversing loads during a rotation cycle.
There were no marks, burns, holes, etc on the pistons. The appeared as if new. Pre ignition even if for an instant is quite explosive. Especially given the magnitude of the damage to ALL six rods. The fact that all six were bent represents a complete cycle of the motor with this explosive action occuring on each compression cycle.

As for the ticking. You have no further to look than the picture of the six rods. Note the one rod where up by the wrist pin (right side of rod) there is evidence where the bent rod was hitting the crank.

My bearings were in great shape.

I'm not being argumentative either. My comments are based on my past experiences and represent only my opinion.

Last edited by cjv; 10-02-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:33 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by dk996tt
I know where this is going, but it has to be said. Dyno's are very easy on motors.

We were not very easy on our's. We not only bent rods, but we cracked two Fiske rims.

How many times have you taken a SPI 800 to 7400 rpm's and dropped the clutch? I may add that is with a 3.17-1 first gear, LSD , Tilton three disc 7.25" carbon to carbon clutch (I believe we were the first to use the Tilton in the 996tt, we designed the setup for WEVO) and 265/335 tires. I'm not downplaying anyones work, but 700 plus foot pounds that are subject to moderate heavy to heavy use will destroy stock internals.

At the time I believe we were running about 640 plus a hundred shot of nitrous. That appears to be very close to what the SPI 800 is producing five and a half years later.

I'm going back to April 2004 Excellence by David Colman, I believe our 60 foot time was 1.5 plus seconds in 104 degree ambient temperatures. With ideal temps we would have been a full 2/10's faster.

Last edited by cjv; 10-02-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Banned
Boost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by onelove
I'll probably give the Tial 30s a shot after long and possibly a 100-150 shot.
I have some turbos and headers for you Wes

Old 10-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by cjv
I know where this is going, but it has to be said. Dyno's are very easy on motors.

We were not very easy on our's. We not only bent rods, but we cracked two Fiske rims.

How many times have you taken a SPI 800 to 7400 rpm's and dropped the clutch? I may add that is with a 3.17-1 first gear, LSD , Tilton three disc 7.25" carbon to carbon clutch (I believe we were the first to use the Tilton in the 996tt, we designed the setup for WEVO) and 265/335 tires. I'm not downplaying anyones work, but 700 plus foot pounds that are subject to moderate heavy to heavy use will destroy stock internals.

At the time I believe we were running about 640 plus a hundred shot of nitrous. That appears to be very close to what the SPI 800 is producing five and a half years later.

I'm going back to April 2004 Excellence by David Colman, I believe our 60 foot time was 1.5 plus seconds in 104 degree ambient temperatures. With ideal temps we would have been a full 2/10's faster.
not sure what you mean. dyno numbers are never the end all. that is why SPI packages are tested on the track. 640 plus a hundred shot is not "very close" to what SPI has to offer today. the SPI 800 kit is a package strictly for clients who want to run regular 93 pump gas. SPI offers 1000 hp kits (850 rwhp) on stock internals. i don't think anybody would agree that these power levels are "very close". finally, SPI packages are designed so that you don't have to drop the clutch at 7400 rpms to get a good launch. as you can see from the video, SPI packages are well thought out so you can slip the clutch and still run a 1.66 60 ft time and a 9 second 1/4 mile pass all day long. And this is on 19" HRE wheel and Toyo R888's with 40 psi of air pressure - the exact same way it is driven on the street. not trying to pick a fight here but i have to strongly disagree on your comment of making he same level of power as SPI does 5 1/2 years ago. not even in the same ball park. i believe with a more agressive launch and proper tire setup, we could have run low 9's on stock internals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5xMyVaqtkU

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can a STOCK 996TT Motor Put Down 800-900RWHP?