996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Can a STOCK 996TT Motor Put Down 800-900RWHP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 09:27 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dk996tt
not sure what you mean. dyno numbers are never the end all. that is why SPI packages are tested on the track. 640 plus a hundred shot is not "very close" to what SPI has to offer today. the SPI 800 kit is a package strictly for clients who want to run regular 93 pump gas. SPI offers 1000 hp kits (850 rwhp) on stock internals. i don't think anybody would agree that these power levels are "very close". finally, SPI packages are designed so that you don't have to drop the clutch at 7400 rpms to get a good launch. as you can see from the video, SPI packages are well thought out so you can slip the clutch and still run a 1.66 60 ft time and a 9 second 1/4 mile pass all day long. And this is on 19" HRE wheel and Toyo R888's with 40 psi of air pressure - the exact same way it is driven on the street. not trying to pick a fight here but i have to strongly disagree on your comment of making he same level of power as SPI does 5 1/2 years ago. not even in the same ball park. i believe with a more agressive launch and proper tire setup, we could have run low 9's on stock internals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5xMyVaqtkU
Very nice, can you tell me how many miles of hard use these stock internal motors (with greater than 700 foot pounds of torque) are seeing? Your claims do not jive with my experiences. I personally would not dare put 1000 hp on stock 996tt internals and expect them to live very long. I am not familiar with the 997tt internals. If you guys are really doing it with consistent hard use then that is quite an accomplishment.

What I meant by my dyno comment is, dyno's are not anywhere near as hard on the motor as hard road/track use.

Our current motor will put out somewhere around 1000 hp. It should be ready shortly and we were going to put on a little get together on here in Northern California with about 6 or 8 of the top dogs nationwide. All the ones I have spoken to with one exception will be there. If I offered Switzer an invite would they come? It will consist of track and quarter mile competition.

Another question if I may? In the video the car appears to be well into fourth gear at the end of the quarter. Is all gearing stock?

Last edited by cjv; 10-03-2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:39 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
dk996tt,

Sorry that I really haven't followed much of what Switzer did on your car. It really sound like quite an accomplishment with 93 octane utilizing all stock internals.

The thread about your car ended back in 2/09. How is it running now and how much use have you put on it?

Last edited by cjv; 10-03-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:37 AM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cjv
Very nice, can you tell me how many miles of hard use these stock internal motors (with greater than 700 foot pounds of torque) are seeing? Your claims do not jive with my experiences. I personally would not dare put 1000 hp on stock 996tt internals and expect them to live very long. I am not familiar with the 997tt internals. If you guys are really doing it with consistent hard use then that is quite an accomplishment.

What I meant by my dyno comment is, dyno's are not anywhere near as hard on the motor as hard road/track use.

Our current motor will put out somewhere around 1000 hp. It should be ready shortly and we were going to put on a little get together on here in Northern California with about 6 or 8 of the top dogs nationwide. All the ones I have spoken to with one exception will be there. If I offered Switzer an invite would they come? It will consist of track and quarter mile competition.

Another question if I may? In the video the car appears to be well into fourth gear at the end of the quarter. Is all gearing stock?
the car has definitely seem numerous track days and over 3000 hard miles. that is exactly why SPI tests everything under race conditions. as i said before, the dyno sheet is never the end all, just another indication to the potential power the car can make. personally, we are not big on dyno sheets but for some reason everyone want to see them. i would rather post the video and call it a day as it speaks for itself.

as for your top dog competition you are holding, i can't speak for Tym. Obviously events such as these take out an entire week of work. Not to make excuses but the work load in the shop is at an all time feverish pace due to all the press we have been receiving. I know that SPI is going down to the Miami mile next weekend, but Miami and northern Cali are two different road trips. I can certainly ask if you give me all the details on the event. But i think the video speaks for itself, meaning we have already shown we can take a full weight 997 turbo with a 100% street setup to run 9.79 @ 146 mph. i am sure we can do better if we actually tried to set it up for the best possible 1/4 mile pass. As far as i know, there has not been another 997 turbo on stock internals to run anywhere near 9.79. we will see how the top dogs compare to it at the event you are holding next year.

the gearing is all stock. the internals are all stock. it is a package that has been designed to maximize the potential of a bolt on package. that is why we were only able to run a 146 trap speed as the car was bouncing off the rev limiter the last couple hundred feet of the track.

my whole point about my initial response was you had indicated that you had achieved "very close" results to what SPI has achieved 5 1/2 years ago. and i simply disagree strongly. As far as i am aware, SPI is still the ONLY company that has a proven package that makes 800 hp on straight 93 octane pump gas (no meth. inj., no nitrous, etc.). And SPI is still the ONLY company that has made 1000 hp on straight race gas with stock internals.

there are still quite of few people that are not familiar with SPI. Unfortunately Tym's incredible talents only lie in making cars go fast and not business development (no big suprise here). Since i have joined him as his business partner earlier this year, that will start to change. You will start to hear more about SPI in the future and probably already have in the last few months.

Last edited by dk996tt; 10-03-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:13 AM
cjv
Originally Posted by dk996tt
the car has definitely seem numerous track days and over 3000 hard miles. that is exactly why SPI tests everything under race conditions. as i said before, the dyno sheet is never the end all, just another indication to the potential power the car can make. personally, we are not big on dyno sheets but for some reason everyone want to see them. i would rather post the video and call it a day as it speaks for itself.

as for your top dog competition you are holding, i can't speak for Tym. Obviously events such as these take out an entire week of work. Not to make excuses but the work load in the shop is at an all time feverish pace due to all the press we have been receiving. I know that SPI is going down to the Miami mile next weekend, but Miami and northern Cali are two different road trips. I can certainly ask if you give me all the details on the event. But i think the video speaks for itself, meaning we have already shown we can take a full weight 997 turbo with a 100% street setup to run 9.79 @ 146 mph. i am sure we can do better if we actually tried to set it up for the best possible 1/4 mile pass. As far as i know, there has not been another 997 turbo on stock internals to run anywhere near 9.79. we will see how the top dogs compare to it at the event you are holding next year.

the gearing is all stock. the internals are all stock. it is a package that has been designed to maximize the potential of a bolt on package. that is why we were only able to run a 146 trap speed as the car was bouncing off the rev limiter the last couple hundred feet of the track.

my whole point about my initial response was you had indicated that you had achieved "very close" results to what SPI has achieved 5 1/2 years ago. and i simply disagree strongly. As far as i am aware, SPI is still the ONLY company that has a proven package that makes 800 hp on straight 93 octane pump gas (no meth. inj., no nitrous, etc.). And SPI is still the ONLY company that has made 1000 hp on straight race gas with stock internals.

there are still quite of few people that are not familiar with SPI. Unfortunately Tym's incredible talents only lie in making cars go fast and not business development (no big suprise here). Since i have joined him as his business partner earlier this year, that will start to change. You will start to hear more about SPI in the future and probably already have in the last few months.
If you pull the nitrous out we were only making about 640 rwhp. We had stock internals and bent all the rods after just over 7,000 miles of about 80 dyno pulls and some heavy track and strip usage.

What amazes me is your 1000 hp and stock rods. I'd be afraid to do it based on my past experiences. We currently are finishing a build that will produce 1000 plus hp @ 1 bar on 93 octane and has the ability to utilize higher octane to boost pressures of 2.5 bar.

Best of continued luck with your high hp on stock internals. My hats off to you.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
If you pull the nitrous out we were only making about 640 rwhp. We had stock internals and bent all the rods after just over 7,000 miles of about 80 dyno pulls and some heavy track and strip usage.

What amazes me is your 1000 hp and stock rods. I'd be afraid to do it based on my past experiences. We currently are finishing a build that will produce 1000 plus hp @ 1 bar on 93 octane and has the ability to utilize higher octane to boost pressures of 2.5 bar.

Best of continued luck with your high hp on stock internals. My hats off to you.
Its the tuning w/ a standalone that allows for extra resolution that pushes the envelope safely, I believe.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cjv

i think we are closing in on almost 200 dyno pulls, of which the majority have been over 800rwhp. the car has over 3000 hard miles on it as well as multiple days on the the road course. the current mindset is that you need rods for anything over 800 NM. SPI is stating that this is a myth and clearly has proven it with Sledgehammer and customers all over the world running the SPI 800 package. Engine builders are charging big $$$ for built motors. SPI believes it is unnecessary and has proven it.

Good luck on your build. it sounds very interesting and i am looking forward to seeing the results.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
DK,

Please discuss the role that the intake and IC's play in all the power you are making.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
DK,

Please discuss the role that the intake and IC's play in all the power you are making.
tym has carefully engineered a package that truly optimizes and extracts as much power as you can while working with the stock internals. SPI believes that there are people who want more than 700 hp on 93 octane without having to build the motor. every part including the intake has been specifically designed to allow the engine to make more power up top. i can't remember the exact hp gained from his intake, but it was significant compared to the stock intake (i believe 30 - 40 whp). he also wanted the car to work properly under race conditions and designed a proper 6" IC which allows IAT to be more consistent under racing environments. many people ask me about the intake and IC's, but truthfully, it is the integration of all the parts that make this package so unique and special. in my opinion, just a very well thought out and executed package. finally, a proper tuning strategy which allows the motor to make great power reliably and actually put it to the ground (torque management). people are always amazed when they go for a ride in Sledgehammer. people frequently comment about how easily and effortlessly the car seems to make the power. as you saw in the 1/4 mile video, this is a car which can be launched quite effortlessly without straining the drivetrain and still run 9 second 1/4 mile times on a completely street setup. it is by far the most impressive bolt on package the porsche community has ever seen. how can you dispute the real world results? i am not here to toot SPI's horn, but feel it necessary when others make statements which are so contradictory to my beliefs.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:51 PM
I disagree...You ARE Tooting SPIs horn

But deservedly so, it is a remarkable package.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
DK,

just curious when i saw in your signature that you won the 60 - 130 times in Texas. what was your best 60 - 130 time so far?

Old 10-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Former Vendor
never mind, i answered my own question. 5.79s 60 - 130 is definitely an accomplishment. i will be running my GT2 this week for a better time. i am hoping for a 5.2 - 5.4 on race gas. currently at 1.6 bar it went 5.7s with 2 passengers. we will continue to tweak the tune as i hope to run the Miami Mile at closer to 1.8 bar which is probably what it will take to run 200+ mph.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:26 PM
I didn't run a 5.79 that day...it was hot and humid. I think I was running low 6's.

And there where 1K plus hp cars on drag radials that ran low 4's (I won the street tire division).

Old 10-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Former Vendor
titannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nice
Not only is the true HP limits of the 996 and 997's still to be had, but I feel the #'s will continue to increase as there is more developement threwout the years. When new parts open up the HP capability of stock motor's the #'s for 93 octane cars and race fuel setup's with stock engine's should increase as it has with many other turbo platforms developed in the past and currently.

I think 800-900rwhp is achieveable, the question is how reliable will it be on a stock motor.