996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

cross rotating rear tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 07:17 AM
x50surfer is infamous around these parts
cross rotating rear tires?

Hi All - I was thinking about trying to extend rear tire life by cross rotating them. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm running ps2's. thanks, Jim

Old 10-01-2009, 07:45 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
I believe they are directional.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:45 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
I believe they are directional.

That is correct Parasole, but as long as you keep them mounted on the
wheel, then when you put in on the other side of the car it is turning
in the correct direction.

We do this alot at Brainerd (Horrifically dangerous track) to keep our
driver side tires from being obliterated while our passenger side tires get
the big easy.

MK

Old 10-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Besides giving Paulie a hard time I'm trying to see the logic. The tire would need to be removed from the rim and flipped to keep a directional tire rolling in the correct direction on the opposite side of the car. Sorry if I'm being slow

Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
That is correct Parasole, but as long as you keep them mounted on the
wheel, then when you put in on the other side of the car it is turning
in the correct direction.

We do this alot at Brainerd (Horrifically dangerous track) to keep our
driver side tires from being obliterated while our passenger side tires get
the big easy.

MK

Old 10-01-2009, 09:12 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
On the side of the tire you will see the word "outside" written in the rubber. As long as this side is always to the outside you can run them on either side of the car.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
My tires have an arrow and indicate which side of the car they should be.

Attached Images   
Old 10-01-2009, 10:07 AM
MotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to behold
I don't think PS2 are directional. I think it is only outside and inside.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:44 AM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
I do it with the T1Rs - it almost doubles the life of the rears.

It's not possible with the MPS2s and keep them running as specified by Michellin.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:14 PM
The tires I have pictured are T1Rs; how do you rotate them (tires off the rims?) and at what interval?

Originally Posted by RiA
I do it with the T1Rs - it almost doubles the life of the rears.

It's not possible with the MPS2s and keep them running as specified by Michellin.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:23 AM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
Dismount both, move to opposite sides, keep rotation same direction, remount and rebalance - done.

Measure thread depth and swap at the half-way point (don't hit the wear bars before you swap).

Old 10-02-2009, 02:12 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MotorsportsR

wow what a pic in your avatar any story on that crash?

Old 10-02-2009, 03:00 AM
MotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to behold
Cross rotated my tires!

Originally Posted by OS Inspector
wow what a pic in your avatar any story on that crash?

Old 10-02-2009, 05:53 AM
Cross rotated my tires!
Looks like they were cross rotated at speed

Old 10-02-2009, 07:26 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
DING DING DING, we have a winner! I was waiting to see who would catch this first. PS2's are asymetric, not directional. Once properly mounted they can be flipped from side to side. Unless you remove a tire from the rim and move it to the other side of the car and remount, flipping an asymetric tire probably won't result in better wear. Given that many of today's tires, PS2 included, have different rubber compounds as you move across the treadcap it really isn't a good idea to flip an asymetric tire on the same rim and try to run backwards. Bad wear characteristics could result.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp