996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT exhaust vs 996 cost?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
I'd also be very interested in an explanation as to why you feel a turbo exhaust system somehow needs to "KEEP some of the back-pressure" as that goes against everything I've learned about turbo exhaust systems. .
I agree that better flow means more power, but I went from straight pipes to a custom crossover exhaust with race mufflers and several bends and that was enough to give me much better low end to mid range response and power. What happens below boost. your motor runs like an NA motor. So to much exhaust will cause lost torque in the low ranges. if you are drag racing only, big pipes will work best. But if you modulate the throttle like in turns, then an exhaust with some backpressure might work. But unfortunately there is no testing to compare this and mfg's are going to favor the system they sell, so that is useless.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:40 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dgreen78
I had 4 total exhaust systems over the years on my car and I recently did my own custom exhaust. I bought some 3" Coast Fab mufflers (Burns re-labeled) and had a local shop make it for me. They did the X design and it was half the cost of what others pay for the same thing. Just find yourself a very good fabricator that can TIG well and save yourself some $.

nicely done are those 3" resonators where the cats used to be? either way looks good!

Old 11-05-2009, 06:18 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
I agree that better flow means more power, but I went from straight pipes to a custom crossover exhaust with race mufflers and several bends and that was enough to give me much better low end to mid range response and power. What happens below boost. your motor runs like an NA motor. So to much exhaust will cause lost torque in the low ranges. if you are drag racing only, big pipes will work best. But if you modulate the throttle like in turns, then an exhaust with some backpressure might work. But unfortunately there is no testing to compare this and mfg's are going to favor the system they sell, so that is useless.

i believe your just feeling the differences that an X design makes as it pulls the exhaust from the opposite bank as one gets pushed out.

choked up piping ona turbo car does no good. back pressure is accomplished by the turbine housing.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:51 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Agree, the turbos themselves provide plenty of backpressure. I had a 4inch exhaust on my last car and I knew others with the same - almost zero backpressure from the exhaust. But one day I had a conversation with a guy who had taken the time to measure backpressure ahead of the turbo on such an exhaust. WOW! Exhaust pressure ahead of the turbo is much much higher, this is a big part of the reason why larger turbos make more power apparently - less backpressure. If you've ever seen those toys with the little spinning turbine thing in them that make noise when you blow on them you have some idea as to what the exhaust port sees as you blow into the toy. Now restrict the outlet on the toy, much less spinning right? That's what backpressure does to your turbo's turbine.

It's possible to measure the post turbo backpressure using one of the O2 sensor ports. You have to use a fitting and a piece of copper tubing to isolate the heat some, use a good gauge. I think Justinn was one of the guys doing it on Supras. I'd hope that some of the folks selling exhaust have at least tested the backpressure their exhausts represent if they're selling them as "tuned" at a couple grand a pop. Testing ahead of the the turbo is much harder and would require a specific fitting but can yield some interesting results that might help select a turbo for the hardcore.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:23 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
But unfortunately there is no testing to compare this and mfg's are going to favor the system they sell, so that is useless.

Take a look at the dynos in the AMS thread -with the JIC exhaust added the car picked up everywhere, alot of it in the low end/midrange.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earl3
Take a look at the dynos in the AMS thread -with the JIC exhaust added the car picked up everywhere, alot of it in the low end/midrange.

I have heard nothing but great stuff about JIC exhausts. I believe it. It would be interesting to compare that exhaust with a fabspeed cats and straight pipes. There may not be much of a difference.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:59 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I've always wondered if an X did much more than smooth the sound on a turbo car that had two banks. I know on NA cars the alternating pulses are supposed to help scavenge but wonder if the turbos smooth things to the point where this is less of a case. It is kind of surprising that no shop has apparently done a shootout with the various exhausts like the Supra guys did. ??? I bet it would really settle some questions! On these cars though it would probably be a PITA moreso than on the Supra and sure as heck more expensive to gather all sorts of exhausts together.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Lysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really nice
Originally Posted by 2muchtime

where can I buy this exhaust?

Old 11-05-2009, 10:54 PM
legendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Lysoleverywhere
meanest sounding exhaust

Old 11-06-2009, 12:50 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
nicely done are those 3" resonators where the cats used to be? either way looks good!

They are 6.5" round, 3" ID MUFFLERS just like the smaller ones in the picture. We were able to put the larger diameter mufflers there since there is a lot of room (were the cats usually are). The 6" round suppress sound a lot better than the 4.5" used in the rear.

Last edited by dgreen78; 11-06-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:57 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
I've always wondered if an X did much more than smooth the sound on a turbo car that had two banks. I know on NA cars the alternating pulses are supposed to help scavenge but wonder if the turbos smooth things to the point where this is less of a case. It is kind of surprising that no shop has apparently done a shootout with the various exhausts like the Supra guys did. ??? I bet it would really settle some questions! On these cars though it would probably be a PITA moreso than on the Supra and sure as heck more expensive to gather all sorts of exhausts together.
I did a back to back dyno test with my cat-less Maxspeed (same as Speedtech) 70mm system and my new 3" X design and actually LOST about 10-15hp. I didnt mind though because the crossover sounds VERY nice. I am actually surprised there are not a lot more guys dyno testing these setups, especially when their paying thousands for them.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by Lysoleverywhere
I tried calling the guys at RB to get some info/specs on this exhaust and didnt really get anywhere. It is AWESOME sounding! My X-design 3" sounds like this but it doesnt have the cool turbo whistle to it like this one

Old 11-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Lysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really niceLysoleverywhere is just really nice
I tried calling the guys at RB to get some info/specs on this exhaust and didnt really get anywhere. It is AWESOME sounding! My X-design 3" sounds like this but it doesnt have the cool turbo whistle to it like this one
How much was your exhaust? Any vids or soundclips?

Old 11-06-2009, 06:46 PM
I did a back to back dyno test with my cat-less Maxspeed (same as Speedtech) 70mm system and my new 3" X design and actually LOST about 10-15hp. I didnt mind though because the crossover sounds VERY nice. I am actually surprised there are not a lot more guys dyno testing these setups, especially when their paying thousands for them.
Is it possible that tuning would have recovered the power? With the backpressure the turbos represent it just doesn't seem like the added backpressure from an exhaust would do anything for the short time that the motor isn't pressurized.

Surely you would think that more guys had done back to back tests on exhausts!

That RB exhaust sounds NICE! I'd love to see some pics of the design. If it had no drone I'd be VERY interested in it Something with 4 small mufflers and 100cell cats or something like dgreen posted although I'd really like to retain catalytics. Dgreen how does your's sound? Ah duh you said it sounds like that sans whistle. Wonder if that's turbo sizing doing that?

Last edited by BLKMGK; 11-06-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:11 PM
in an X-pipe design, you have to fast flowing air streams crossing each other causing turbulence. with an x-pipe you definitely want large pipes to reduce the exhaust speeds and reduce the turbulence. Hence the reason why I did an H pipe. I went from my fabspeed straight pipes with cats to the exhaust below with cats and I got rid of all the drone, reduced noise by about 20% and gained a little driveability and no loss of power according to my trap speeds. In fact my trapspeeds went up, but that could have been for other ambient reasons.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT exhaust vs 996 cost?