996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 GT2 twists on a 996 TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 02:26 PM
foxworth is infamous around these parts
996 GT2 twists on a 996 TT

hi all,

i have recently put the GT2 twists on my turbo - 8.5J and 12J. I'm getting a noise from the front end and a small amount of vibration through the steering wheel. The front tyres are ok but fairly old - I have yet to have the alignment done.

The sound is as if the bearings have gone, but the noise came about v quickly recently so i'm not sure a bearing problem would have come about so quickly

can the tyres and alignment make a massive difference or should i be planning for a bearing job?

New tyres on order so will align after this, but am just curious.

many thanks

Old 10-03-2009, 02:55 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Did you have the tires road force balanced on a hunter 9700 (or equivalent)? Wheel run out and tire uniformity can cause vibration.

At the very least, did they rotate and check the wheels (without tires) for any defects??

The noise, can;t say...

A

Old 10-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Vandit has a spectacular aura aboutVandit has a spectacular aura about
Swapping wheels/tires shouldn't mess with the alignment whatsoever. If the alignment wasn't off prior to installing the new wheels, then it shouldn't be off afterward either.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:31 PM
SWO Daddy has a spectacular aura aboutSWO Daddy has a spectacular aura aboutSWO Daddy has a spectacular aura about
My guess is that the wheels might need to be balanced.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:43 PM
MotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to behold
Cupped tires can cause road noise that sound like a bad wheel bearing.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:42 AM
Thanks, so even with different widths and offsets the alignment stays the same?

Wheels were balanced at local tyre place on a digital balancing machine, not sure of the model. Will rebalance with new tyres.

I fear a wheel bearing. Is this an expensive fix?

Originally Posted by Vandit
Swapping wheels/tires shouldn't mess with the alignment whatsoever. If the alignment wasn't off prior to installing the new wheels, then it shouldn't be off afterward either.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:56 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
I think the timing of the problem weighs heavily against a bearing. I agree that alignment and balancing should be examined first.
Still wheel bearing failures are a fairly common problem on these cars. I dont know the cost of repair but dont think it is disasterous.

Please report back with what you find out about the problem.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
"it came on very quickly recently" meaning it wasn't there immediately after the swap?
what speeds is it vibrating at?

wider wheels or offset stance do cause more stress to bearings but in this case the change is minimal.

on the alignment, the settings don't change but the new set's characteristics for same alignment would be different than the old set. whether the size change is enough to cause vibration... this Im not sure

Old 10-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Mad Ness
"it came on very quickly recently" meaning it wasn't there immediately after the swap?
what speeds is it vibrating at?

wider wheels or offset stance do cause more stress to bearings but in this case the change is minimal.

on the alignment, the settings don't change but the new set's characteristics for same alignment would be different than the old set. whether the size change is enough to cause vibration... this Im not sure
It's audible at low speeds then progressively worse as speed increases and you can feel a very small vibe through the steering wheel. The tyres are ok, but are worn on the inside edge, so first stop is to get the tyres replaced and wheels rebalanced i guess. If issues after that I may try putting the turbo wheels back on to see if the issue is the GT2 wheels.

If you had a wheel balance hitting a caliper, that is the type of feeling you feel at the front (have checked clearance etc, brakes are stock 4pot)

The noise is very wheel bearing like, but it seems strange how this has come on over a matter of weeks, and since i put the gt2 rims on.

The tyres are quite hard to the touch as if they are aged, so i'm hoping this is the issue!

thanks for the help...