996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Might be mine, just waiting for the PPI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Whereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond repute
Might be mine, just waiting for the PPI

Well I may have the found the one pending the PPI. I do have a few questions. The dealer lists it as a 2001, but it has a lockable glove box. Wasn't this first introduced in 2002? Also, the carbob fiber overlay on the dash closest to the front windshield (where the dash and glass meet) is peeling up. Not sure how to rectify this. And then there is the wing and exhaust. Not sure what this means. More pictures to come. By the way, it has 59K miles. The price is right, even better if i's a 2002! Any other way to tell between the two years?

Attached Images      
Old 10-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Whereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond repute
As promised...

The lights have a glaze on them. The delers body guy buffed this one clean, but also broke off this cover piece. Bummer.

Attached Images    
Old 10-03-2009, 05:17 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Cool! The VIN should specify the year. Do a car fax

Old 10-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Not sure what to think???? Sold at auction twice (once in California September 2007 and once in Indiana in September 2009). Two owners, maintenance was maintained, but not the 60K - which is due VERY soon.

In June 2005:
Engine removed for repair
Transmission checked
Clutch release bearing replaced
Engine cleaned
Front crankshaft oil seal replaced

Thoughts from the experts?

Old 10-03-2009, 09:29 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Is price the sole factor for you? Could be a good buy, or could be a bunch of stuff that winds up bleeding you, or it could be fatally flawed... a PPI will not tell you which it will be.

There is absolutely no way I'd consider a multi auction car without very well documented history...

Is the dealer guy going to replace the broken headlight???DO NOT assume these little items will be cheap. and don't take the dealers' word for anything.

Make sure you know what they will inspect for your "PPI"... there is no commonly accepted definition for a PPI... many don't even dump the DME and look for over-revs, codes, etc...

Any pictures so you can determine the paint quality? Impossible to assess paint in the rain. And dont assume a clean carfax means no accidents. Google the vin too...

GL

A

Old 10-04-2009, 07:49 AM
The dealer performing the PPI (Motorwerks in Barrington, IL) is not the seller. I spoke with the tech who will do the PPI on Monday. He breifly looked over the car Saturday while I made the appointment. His first thoughts are that the paint needs a detail due to hazing (as do the headlamps), the clutch is working very well, the transmission shifts well (I did the pop out test several times and it passed that).

I will wait and see what he finds from the inspection. I understand that the 60K is due, new tires are needed and the dash trim pieces are peeling up (still not sure if or how I can remedy this).

I'll keep everyone posted. The car looks nice, sounds nice, drives well (though the tires offer little grip in the rain).

Robert

Old 10-04-2009, 08:14 AM
MrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud ofMrEdS4 has much to be proud of
I would not be terribly intimidated by the mileage and I would attribute that to why the car went through two auctions. Dealers don't want relatively high mileage cars on their showroom floors due to the price difference between low mile cars. They would be illustrating the exact depreciation that they want their buyers to neglect when buying a new car. As long as it checks out mechanically, the non-accident related cosmetic issues are cheap fixes. You may not be able to re-adhere the carbon back down but you could always just remove them, strip them, and paint them black. Enjoy the car but don't be in a rush. There are always plenty out there. Check out O-ace's protomotive car in the classifieds. 04 X50 priced right.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Well the car did not pass the PPI. While it did not have any mechanical issues (the motor held boost, .8 bar, no ticking sounds, transmission and clutch worked well, no over revs...) it did have issues:
exterior paint needed to be wet sanded and polished/waxed
new tires (very hard, but had polenty of tread)
light washer covers were borken (actually glued on)
Right Rear AC pipe was crushed along with some body rail damage (light)
The carbon fiber interior trim on the dash is coming unglued
Passenger seat controls worked, but not well
Climate control screen was missing pixles
No NAV discs

All of the above is really not bad, some money, but not bad. The kicker is that the 60K service was due, the car must have been sitting for some time which explains the hard tire rubber and THE RODENTS NEST on the engine. That find coupled with the lack of service papers past the 20K mark gets me worried.

My search continues...

Old 10-05-2009, 01:09 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
How much are they asking?

Old 10-05-2009, 01:12 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I was just going to say the interior didn't show a lot of love. Small scratches all over. The exterior pics were too dark to tell. I'm sure you can find a better buy.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:14 PM
They were asking $39,000.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
With the glove box, it should be 02 car. Check the sticker under the hood to show all options codes. It looks like a heavy options TT. Large leather package, large CF int. package, aero kit (missing front lip), nav, painted wheels. The fail of PPI was nothing major. It all come down to price.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:32 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
I bought tt 3 mo. ago for $38K at 35,000miles with some aftermarket wheels/exh.
I think you still could buy ok condition around $40K if you look hard and a little willing to drive. I would be better than save 3-4,000 and take a chance to have big headache later.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:37 PM
The more I search here and drive 996TT's, the more I learn. I think $40,000 should get a clean car. I'll keep searching. I would prefer not to have a modded one (except for suspension). Stock is good for me to learn from. I know that I will add power as time goes by, but the stock power is plenty enough to get me into trouble.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:37 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
is it at a porsche dealer?

you could always work out a deal where they pay to fix these issues and do the service for the full asking price

or you could use it to take them way down on price,

but dont be pressured to buy that car there are plenty it took me 3 weeks of good looking to find a car with history

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Might be mine, just waiting for the PPI