996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Are KWs worth the extra $ over PSS10s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
For anyone interested, I just got authorization to offer a pretty amazing deal on the V3's!!

PM me for the best price around! This may help make the decision a little easier.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:37 PM
KevinTT is infamous around these parts
Dave,

I had KW v3s installed and had the car lowered to GT2 spec with a corner balance. I agree that the ride is improved however I have noticed an increase in bump steer. I have no clear answer for a resolution on this. Just a FYI.

Maybe someone can chime in with an opinion and solution for this.

Kevin

Old 10-07-2009, 08:43 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Kevin, bumpsteer is not what it sounds like, and likely not what you feel as bumpsteer is not something you could easily feel if at all. Bumpsteer is changes in alignment under cornering load. What you feel is likely the bump/rebound settings on the shock being too stiff, so when you go over a bump the car bounces all over the place. Pretty common with stiffer shocks, you'll have to play with the suspension settings and possibly the spring rates to remedy that.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:09 AM
rafiki is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AutoTalent
rafiki, the Club Sports do ride stiffer compared to the V3's. Comfort wise, everyone loves the KW V3's over stock, no comparison. For mostly street use I would suggest going with the V3's over the Club Sport.
Originally Posted by Tom@Rennsport-1
I agree. I think the ClubSports are far too aggressively sprung and valved for street use. For the street and even some track use, go with V3's all day.
Originally Posted by Onelove
The Clubsports are actually quite a bit more streetable than I thought. We have those on our camo car and I've driven down cobblestone roads expecting to get fillings knocked out after driving PSS10 and JIC equiped cars, and the clubsports ride smooth as glass.
Thanks guys, I'll try and get a drive in both before making any decisions.

Last edited by rafiki; 10-08-2009 at 05:27 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:20 AM
911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about911TurboS2 has a spectacular aura about
I hope that I am not repeating anyone on this thread. Whatever you do, also put in front and rear sway bars (also called 'anti-roll' bars). Just IMHO.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
OK, for those who said they were having difficulty understanding the effects of compression and rebound adjustments, or just having a tough time setting their V3's to a good feel for every day driving, I scanned the initial setup instructions from KW for you guys. This should give you a better understand of how the compression (bump) and rebound settings will translate into how the suspension feels. It also includes KW's recommended starting point for both front and rear settings. Aren't I such a nice guy?

Attached Images   
Old 10-08-2009, 09:47 AM
nvno1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by KevinTT
Dave,

I had KW v3s installed and had the car lowered to GT2 spec with a corner balance. I agree that the ride is improved however I have noticed an increase in bump steer. I have no clear answer for a resolution on this. Just a FYI.

Maybe someone can chime in with an opinion and solution for this.

Kevin
Kevin,
Can you post up your impressions of the ride at slow and fast speeds. Also does the suspension feel close to stock. Is it softer or stiffer? How do you have the suspension set? Any noises such as clunking or poping? I'm still trying to decide between the Bilsteins and V3s. Thanks for any input.
Dave

Old 10-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Boomers996tt is infamous around these parts
Dialing in my suspension is my next priority. Been reading this and other threads re coilovers for the 996tt. Very undecided but I've narrow it down to PSS 10's, KW V3's and JIC/Cross!

One of my goals is lowering to improve the look and the car will only be tracked once or twice a year. Looking for a firm ride with crisp and quiet handling and don't want to hit the bump stops due to lowering.

Running JIC/Cross on a R56 Mini Cooper S that's my track car and I really love them. However, they are VERY FIRM (too lazy to change settings for the street)and noisy (had to cut through the rear sub frame for the rear remote extentions). The front pillow ball mounts also contribute to noise levels.

Each system seems to have it's benefits and are all within a couple hundred bucks of one another. The PSS 10's seem to have the biggest debate regarding lowering, the KW's have the independant adjustments for both compression & rebound and the Cross come with camber plates and pillow ball mounts.

Currently running 19" wheels for the summer and stock 18's for the winter. Not sure of alignment spec's yet. Need to talk to some of the shops up here in Seattle that will help me with this decision.

Does anyone have experience with all three and can provide your impressions of what you found that you like or dislike about the systems. I am really leaning toward the JIC/Cross due to the camber plates and the independant ride height adjustment but the downside is the noise from the pillow ball mounts even though they should have a handling advantage.

Additional insight would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Old 10-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Former Vendor
Boomers996TT, if the JIC system is in the running, then I'd certainly consider the KW Clubsport coilovers. They also include camber plates.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:10 PM
KevinTT is infamous around these parts
Dave;

My Kw's are at their recommended settings. I have not played around with this yet. As far as ride quality, one of the things that prompted me to change the original system out was the jitteryness at highway speed. I'm not sure if I can explain this properly but while the ride is a little stiffer than stock it is smoother. The car feels more planted but that may be due to the lowered ride height.

At lower speeds you notice the stiffness more than at highway speeds where it feels more in control. I have not experienced any noise related to the shocks.

heavychevy - you may be right about what I am calling bump steer, all I can say is that with bumpy conditions whether at high speed or low the steering wheel definitely moves more that stock. This may be an artifact of ride height as mentioned on other threads here. Thanks for the input!

I did not have an opportunity to eval the PS9/10 product. I would go with a shop that will support your choice and work with you during the tweaking phase. After install my shop shut down so I went with a popular forum favorite which was a joke.

Good luck
Kevin

Old 10-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Tom@Rennsport-1
OK, for those who said they were having difficulty understanding the effects of compression and rebound adjustments, or just having a tough time setting their V3's to a good feel for every day driving, I scanned the initial setup instructions from KW for you guys. This should give you a better understand of how the compression (bump) and rebound settings will translate into how the suspension feels. It also includes KW's recommended starting point for both front and rear settings. Aren't I such a nice guy?
Thanks Tom!

You're in Pompano? what's with the 305 phone code?

Old 10-10-2009, 05:10 PM
charnph is infamous around these parts
Here is my exp. with KW V3, I got the HLS lift kit and really enjoy it. With my current setting, the ride is a lot better than stock and a lot more stable at high speed. I haven track the car since I soften the setting, so I cant comment on that.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-kit-pic.html

Old 10-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Danyol
Thanks Tom!

You're in Pompano? what's with the 305 phone code?
You're welcome! Yes, we're now located in Pompano Beach, just a few blocks off I95. Originally we had a smaller location further south in Miami, but have since moved to a larger facility up in nice quiet Pompano. For the sake of consistency, we've kept the 305 number so that people could still find us.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Project911 is infamous around these parts
RSS Adjustable Toe Steer Kit and RSS Adjustable Rear Link Kit really necessary after lowering your car??

Old 10-26-2009, 12:56 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Project911
RSS Adjustable Toe Steer Kit and RSS Adjustable Rear Link Kit really necessary after lowering your car??
I beleive they are necessary if you are trying to acheive close to GT2 ride height. I'm above GT2 ride height by about 10mm but could not get less than -2.5 degrees rear camber and too much toe which will cord your tires fairly quickly on the street. The additional cost of the parts and labor (it's about an extra hour once the shocks and springs are out anyway) is inexpensive compared to doing it twice (ie new rear tires and alignment). I took the inexpensive route with just PSS10's and regretted not doing it all at once.

As to what brand you buy, the issue is the quality of the monoballs at the ends. Other board member may wish to share their experience with specific manufacturers.