996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Just bought a 2003 GT2....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:34 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Oh and one thing you might think about modding is to a factory Porsche 997TT Short Shift kit. It fits the 996TT/GT2 perfectly and is a mod that many on this board have done with great acclaim.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:37 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
really nice, even to be a older model, it look clean as a whistle hot!!!!!!!!! how much did it run ya.....

Old 10-05-2009, 11:41 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Oh and one thing you might think about modding is to a factory Porsche 997TT Short Shift kit. It fits the 996TT/GT2 perfectly and is a mod that many on this board have done with great acclaim.
Will this give it the same shifter feel, or is there something mechanically different between the 996 and 997?

Old 10-05-2009, 11:45 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 80shilling
I've spent the last 30 years racing Shifter Karts, Cars and Motorcycles... I am at the point where if I am going to do any serious track time again, I'll get a dedicated track Car... This GT2 is just going to do the odd track day for fun.. Mostly Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, Sears/Infineon and Willows...
Nice.. Hope you didn't take my comment wrong, that you were a beginner or inferior driver lol.. As you know, doesn't matter your experience, when hopping into a new unfamiliar UN AIDED powerful car, anything can happen, and it happens very very fast and to the best of us But I agree, i'm at the point of no return with it, and I want to race but this certainly isn't the car for that!

Let me congratulate you on a fantastic and beautiful car. I really enjoyed the write up and look forward to your contributions here on the 6. One thing that I will suggest (not from personal experience, but from my years of reading about these cars), when getting your GT2's suspension adjusted, be sure to go to somebody who is VERY familiar with how to properly set-up these cars. They are not easy cars to get correct and this was expressed in great length by Excellence magazine when they revisited the GT2 in an article. They couldn't believe what an improvement it had been over the initial tests. It turned out that the press cars available to the media had been adjusted incorrectly FROM THE FACTORY!!!! During that first test drive they spoke of the car being jittery and unsurefooted. Once given proper adjustments, they raved about how well the car performed and pretty much retracted all of the negative comments during that first test drive. Basically the GT2 is very sensitive to any adjustments made and quite difficult to get it right, but once you do, is one of the most rewarding cars to drive without going to something that isn't propelled by rocket engines. You are certainly in good hands with Sharky!!!
Exactly! It took me just about 2 years to get right, and now it's literally NIGHT AND DAY from all of the previous setups I had, even with the motons and suspension components, settings make the whole difference!

Old 10-06-2009, 12:01 AM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MotorsportsR
I was interested in that car a few months ago, they were asking high 80's. I almost flew up but found one locally. Did you see the 04 in Sunnyvale Ford?
Yes.. I looked at it and was tempted... I also looked at ones in Texas, Santa Cruz, Canada and Chicago.. This one in Portland was in the best condition of them all and so I jumped on it as soon as I saw it. It's quite obviously been looked after by a true retentive type personality.. Clear bra on the front, mirrors, front spoiler and lip, leading edge of the roof, door edges, door handles, around the gas cap (so the nozzle doesn't chip the paint if it rests on the fender), wheel arches, etc, etc...

Last edited by 80shilling; 10-06-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:06 AM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Let me congratulate you on a fantastic and beautiful car. I really enjoyed the write up and look forward to your contributions here on the 6. One thing that I will suggest (not from personal experience, but from my years of reading about these cars), when getting your GT2's suspension adjusted, be sure to go to somebody who is VERY familiar with how to properly set-up these cars. They are not easy cars to get correct and this was expressed in great length by Excellence magazine when they revisited the GT2 in an article. They couldn't believe what an improvement it had been over the initial tests. It turned out that the press cars available to the media had been adjusted incorrectly FROM THE FACTORY!!!! During that first test drive they spoke of the car being jittery and unsurefooted. Once given proper adjustments, they raved about how well the car performed and pretty much retracted all of the negative comments during that first test drive. Basically the GT2 is very sensitive to any adjustments made and quite difficult to get it right, but once you do, is one of the most rewarding cars to drive without going to something that isn't propelled by rocket engines. You are certainly in good hands with Sharky!!!
Alex has put me in touch with his Porsche suspension guru and I will probably have him set it up for me.. either him or the guys at S-Car-go... If any of you guys have suggestions for settings I should use for a street Car that will do some serious track days, let me know what you think works best...

Last edited by 80shilling; 10-06-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:07 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Will this give it the same shifter feel, or is there something mechanically different between the 996 and 997?
Martin,
I'm probably not the right person to ask from experience, as most of my info unfortunately comes from reading what others have done and their impressions. But from everything I have read is that the 997 unit is a little different than the 996 mechanically, it's a little smoother and precise, more "snick, snick", it's also supposed to be a little bit faster of a shift than the 996, probably due to it being more precise. Hopefully someone who has done this mod can chime in. But the people that have it, have said it was a noticeable improvement over even the 996TT SSK. Here's a couple of threads that speak highly of the mod. Hope that helps!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...k-shifter.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-shifter.html

Old 10-06-2009, 12:11 AM
MotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to behold
Sound like a super clean car! Congrats!

Yes.. I looked at it and was tempted... I also looked at ones in Texas, Santa Cruz, Canada and Chicago.. This one in Portland was in the best condition of them all and so I jumped on it as soon as I saw it. It's quite obviously been looked after by a true retentive type personality.. Clear bra on the front, mirrors, front spoiler and lip, leading edge of the roof, door edges, door handles, around the gas cap (so the nozzle doesn't chip the paint if it rests on the fender), wheel arches, etc, etc...

Old 10-06-2009, 06:27 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Congrats,

Awesome car, and I am green with envy.
Go visit Sharkey, James and the gang in person and decide what your overall plans
and goals are. They are the best in the business and will not steer you wrong.
Maybe get that factory suspension dialed in for starters?

Good luck and thanks for sharing,

Marty K

Old 10-06-2009, 07:24 AM
beantowntechy is a jewel in the roughbeantowntechy is a jewel in the roughbeantowntechy is a jewel in the rough
What do you guys recommend for a lightweight flywheel and is there a consensus best product? Where do you get them from? Sorry if this is off topic. I'm just trying to get bits and pieces as I go along.

Love your car!

Old 10-06-2009, 11:18 AM
I have been completely surprised by how many of the general public actually know what the GT2 is.. TONS of thumbs up, lots of questions, lots of people wanting to take pictures of them in the car, or standing by the car... I had assumed that it was going to be slightly off most people's radar, but obviously not... It seems to have quite a fearsome reputation...

Old 10-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Congrats,

Awesome car, and I am green with envy.
Go visit Sharkey, James and the gang in person and decide what your overall plans
and goals are. They are the best in the business and will not steer you wrong.
Maybe get that factory suspension dialed in for starters?

Good luck and thanks for sharing,

Marty K
Alex/Sharky is number one on my list of people to visit... Plus, he's a fellow Brit.. Admittedly, the poor man is an English Brit, rather than the FAR superior Scottish Brit (like me) but still, I shall grant him an audience...

Last edited by 80shilling; 10-06-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:02 PM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
They are not easy cars to get correct and this was expressed in great length by Excellence magazine when they revisited the GT2 in an article. They couldn't believe what an improvement it had been over the initial tests. It turned out that the press cars available to the media had been adjusted incorrectly FROM THE FACTORY!!!! During that first test drive they spoke of the car being jittery and unsurefooted. Once given proper adjustments, they raved about how well the car performed and pretty much retracted all of the negative comments during that first test drive.
I'm not sure if you were referring to the article where they tested the GMG GT2 but it sounds very familiar.

that road test can be found on their site (half way down, "great white" article).

Old 10-06-2009, 04:12 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Alex/Sharky is number one on my list of people to visit... Plus, he's a fellow Brit.. Admittedly, the poor man is an English Brit, rather than the FAR superior Scottish Brit (like me) but still...
He still speaks the "Queen's English" though

Old 10-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Former Vendor
LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !
Great looking GT2. I love the interior color with the silver.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2003 GT2....