996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Just bought a 2003 GT2....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:49 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LaneS@MAcarbon
Great looking GT2. I love the interior color with the silver.
Thanks... It's stunning in person, just a really beautiful combination with the painted seatbacks, tunnel and the aluminium package...

Old 10-06-2009, 09:01 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 80shilling
Alex/Sharky is number one on my list of people to visit... Plus, he's a fellow Brit.. Admittedly, the poor man is an English Brit, rather than the FAR superior Scottish Brit (like me) but still, I shall grant him an audience...
Hehe too funny! My ex-girl friend was from Aberdeen (really nice girl) and after a couple of years being with her believe you me she made me hate the English Braveheart style

Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
He still speaks the "Queen's English" though
LOL! Don't tell him I became an American citizen... the only thing Scots loathe more than the English is an English/American

Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Martin,
I'm probably not the right person to ask from experience, as most of my info unfortunately comes from reading what others have done and their impressions. But from everything I have read is that the 997 unit is a little different than the 996 mechanically, it's a little smoother and precise, more "snick, snick", it's also supposed to be a little bit faster of a shift than the 996, probably due to it being more precise. Hopefully someone who has done this mod can chime in. But the people that have it, have said it was a noticeable improvement over even the 996TT SSK. Here's a couple of threads that speak highly of the mod. Hope that helps!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...k-shifter.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-shifter.html
THANKS BUD, I'm going to look into it, I love the feel of the 997 GT3 shifter... Mine is good with the RUF SSK, but the 997 WAY BETTER!

Old 10-06-2009, 10:25 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
ill be checking out a 997 SSK to replace my B&M here shortly im not much for how notchy the b&m is although you really know wheither your in gear or not

Old 10-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Good talking to you. Car looks amazing!

Old 10-20-2009, 09:26 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Soooo how you liking it???

Old 10-20-2009, 10:25 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Soooo how you liking it???
Best Car I have ever owned... BUT.... I am putting on a set of JRZ triple adjustables because the stock suspension just can't handle the broken/rough surfaces of our local back roads around here; also, when pushed really hard, it gets very squirrely and I want to get it more towards being neutral... What I have found is that the front end will push/understeer and lose grip.. then when I correct it and the front end regains traction, the momentum is transferred to the rear and the rear end then goes into snap oversteer...The Car is pretty good on smooth surfaces, but could do with some help. I have spent the last 30 years racing shifter karts, motorcycles and Cars and I have become hyper critical of stock Cars/Bikes handling and it's always the first thing I do whenever I get a new vehicle.. I have become so used to modern Motorcycle suspension with it's adjustability for spring preload, high and low speed rebound and compression damping, that I now want it in my Cars.

I am having S Car Go install the triple adjustables for me, then they are doing a full agressive alignment, ride height, rake and corner balance.

Overall, I love the Car and can't really believe that I actaully own a GT2... it's been at the top of my wish list for a long time.. I thought about buying a Ferrari Challenge Stradale, an F430, a BMW M6, an Audi R8 (which I got to drive flat out for two days at the Audi advanced race driving school at Infineon/Sears Point), a Gallardo etc, but decided that the GT2 really was the best of the bunch.

On the engine front, I will be going K24/18G, 5 bar FPR, GMG or similar crossover exhaust, 100 cell cats, protomotive tune, colder plugs, BMC race filter etc...

Old 10-20-2009, 10:41 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Best Car I have ever owned... BUT.... I am putting on a set of JRZ triple adjustables because the stock suspension just can't handle the broken/rough surfaces of our local back roads around here; also, when pushed really hard, it gets very squirrely and I want to get it more towards being neutral... What I have found is that the front end will push/understeer and lose grip.. then when I correct it and the front end regains traction, the momentum is transferred to the rear and the rear end then goes into snap oversteer...The Car is pretty good on smooth surfaces, but could do with some help. I have spent the last 30 years racing shifter karts, motorcycles and Cars and I have become hyper critical of stock Cars/Bikes handling and it's always the first thing I do whenever I get a new vehicle.. I have become so used to modern Motorcycle suspension with it's adjustability for spring preload, high and low speed rebound and compression damping, that I now want it in my Cars.

I am having S Car Go install the triple adjustables for me, then they are doing a full agressive alignment, ride height, rake and corner balance.

Overall, I love the Car and can't really believe that I actaully own a GT2... it's been at the top of my wish list for a long time.. I thought about buying a Ferrari Challenge Stradale, an F430, a BMW M6, an Audi R8 (which I got to drive flat out for two days at the Audi advanced race driving school at Infineon/Sears Point), a Gallardo etc, but decided that the GT2 really was the best of the bunch.

On the engine front, I will be going K24/18G, 5 bar FPR, GMG or similar crossover exhaust, 100 cell cats, protomotive tune, colder plugs, BMC race filter etc...

Your PM says who to go to

ps. lets hang out more often! You do karting as well ?! Nice good to see another karter here- i have a feeling we going to get along pretty good mate!

Old 10-20-2009, 10:46 PM

I went through the SAME LIST OF CAR's lol, it was really between a Gallardo and GT2 though, and although I still want a Gallardo and Stradale, none can replace this for me!

The suspension will make the biggest difference, I have Moton triples and the confidence it will give you in achieving the cars TRUE performance is mind boggling... I go over bumpy/uneven surfaces and the car never "snap oversteers", it's so predictable and controllable on and off the track in the back roads, best choice hands down

That tuning package is stout too, you don't waste any time

Old 10-20-2009, 11:19 PM
supercup is infamous around these parts
Congrats on your new car - the last Porsche drivers Turbo Car! Nothing but you and ABS to save your @$$! Enjoy, the car rewards smooth driving and a respectful right foot!

I sold mine for an RS - loved the RS but always missed the power of the GT2. I have been looking for a replacement for awhile, I am sure the right car will present itself eventually!

Enjoy yours and focus on suspension first, tune and exhaust second and you can build power from there.

Enjoy!

Here are couple photos of my old 2003.

JCM

Attached Images   
Old 10-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by supercup
the last Porsche drivers Turbo Car! Nothing but you and ABS to save your @$$!
JCM, You hit the nail on the head... I bought this 996 GT2 over the 997 GT2, because I wanted a car without all the electronic Nannies trying to protect me.. I have spent the last 30 years racing Cars, shifter Karts, Motorcycles and I like being challenged by whatever I am driving/Riding.. My Z06 had a mode called "competition mode" that was a PITA on the track.. In turn two at Thunderhill, it was on and off about 8 times all the way through the corner and kept trying to save my *** when I didn't need it saved... The default for the Z06 every time you start the Car is for ALL of the electronics to be in full "protect your ***" mode...

The other deciding factor for me was the price differential between this car and the 997 GT2...

P.S. LOVE the pictures of your Car...

Old 10-21-2009, 12:25 PM
MTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to behold
Congrats on your GT2. It looks great.
Here's my advice as a GT2 owner:

WAIT BEFORE YOU START MODDING YOUR CAR!!!!

Having gone through the same thing with my car, I would recommend you drive your 2 for a couple of months before you start changing things. I made the mistake of jumping into some mods too early and if I had to do it over again, I would have waited. For example, I bought the UMW tune, and now I don't use it. Don't get me wrong, Kevin at UMW sells an excellent product, but I've found that for my everyday driving, my stock program, which Kevin kept as part of the package, works best. And it sounds like you are planning to change things like suspension, which I have never considered.

Give the car some time, get used to it in stock mode, it's still a handful. Even on the track, a stock GT2 will outrun most anything else you will come up against, and with it's stock suspension, a guy with your experience will have a great time!

Old 10-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Former Vendor
Forza Forged is infamous around these parts
Nice ride, it looks very clean...congrats

Old 10-21-2009, 01:16 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent choice on upgrading your suspension before/along adding more power to the GT2. It will help you to put the power down ealier and with more confidence out of the corners. You also find that the OEM LSD on these car is weak link and often defective. I had mine upgrade to Guard LSD which made a difference at the track. Enjoy and stay safe.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by vincentdds
Excellent choice on upgrading your suspension before/along adding more power to the GT2. It will help you to put the power down ealier and with more confidence out of the corners. You also find that the OEM LSD on these car is weak link and often defective. I had mine upgrade to Guard LSD which made a difference at the track. Enjoy and stay safe.
Thanks for the LSD information....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2003 GT2....