996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Pink Brake Calipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 02:21 PM
pwarnery is infamous around these parts
Pink Brake Calipers

Hi All,

I went to look at a 2002 996 T today and could help but notice that the brake caliper instead of being bright red where somewhat discolored. The clear coat had flaked off. Is that only a sign of overheated calipers, as in heavily tracked car, or could it also be because of corrosion? I found some white powder and pitting on the tool kit, as well as some rust on the wheel lock socket and some rust on the locked lug. Also where is the sticker on the car which gives tire pressure? Also no option sticker under the hood. No service manual whatsoever and a registration in Louisiana. Car would only boost to .6. The last car I drove a turbo S was boosting to .8 bars. Thanks for your opinions. Car Fax is clean though.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:32 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Stock K16's only boost to .6 bar IIRC.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
lack of stickers might be a bad sign...could signal replacement of the hood due to an accident, and the repair shop didn't re-order the stickers. IMO flaking clear coat on the calipers is a pretty common problem, could be caused by abrasive wheel cleaners. Good luck.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:20 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
The tire pressure is on the inside of the gas lid.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:18 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
That thing could be a submarine from the Katrina flood. RUN--Run far away.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:55 PM
pwarnery is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the feedback. I am swimming away from that car as fast as I can. On a different anybody going to Monterey this weekend for the final Petit Le Mans race of the season? I have high hopes that well taken care of 996 t might show off with a for sale sign. Here goes for hoping...

Old 10-07-2009, 07:50 AM
Whereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond repute
Really, teh K16's only boost to .6 Bar? The two cars I have PPI'd boosted to .7 and .8 bar. Could this cahnge with the atmosphere/weather conditions? Or is do the higher pressures mean a tune is present?

Old 10-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
stock is designed to boost to .6, but you can get spikes here and there depending on conditions such as ambient temperature. My chip is designed to hit 1.0, but I'll occassionally see a short spike a bit higher.