996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Cheap boost hoses...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 04:55 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
Cheap boost hoses...

Anyone try these hoses before? 5 pieces including f-hose for $254.99 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...b#ht_795wt_772

I don't see why these wouldn't work fine... ? any thoughts?

Last edited by SSMugen; 09-15-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
One way to find out is to get them....
I actually found the manufacturer of these in china...
Its all about the quality.... so who knows...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-07-2009, 05:56 PM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
One thing I noticed with the cheap hoses were they are 4-ply silicone vs. AP's 5-ply. I haven't looked at EVO, Samco, ect but that is one difference I noticed... and the price! haha

Old 10-07-2009, 06:32 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
try and let us know they look pretty......

Old 10-07-2009, 07:44 PM
hmm I found this in one of the hoses descriptions....

"The stock boost hoses are much like a rubber brake line that expands outwards under pressure. This causes a loss in boost pressure and can sometimes relate to the hose blowing off the turbo or Y-Pipe leaving you stranded. Because the Agency Power Silicone Boost Hoses are made from 4ply silicone with CNC machined 6061 aluminum ends, they will never pop off. "

maybe i'm wrong about AP and these hoses being different but i'm sure they just ripped off Dan's description... i'm sure there have to be some differences to warrant the price difference.

Here is the link for reference where I found the above quote... would be nice if these worked... its a fraction of the cost of every other hose sold here....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Boost...item563553fae0

Old 10-07-2009, 07:47 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
The silicone is not the weak link, it is how the hose connects to the ends that hook to the intercoolers.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:45 AM
c2scanada is infamous around these parts
Exactly the hose connects are the issue. One of mine blew off on a DE day mid-corner.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by c2scanada
Exactly the hose connects are the issue. One of mine blew off on a DE day mid-corner.
Yah I have a feeling mine are at the end of their life so i'm looking to get new hoses... I might just pay the extra for a set from one of the sponsors but still a bit curious about the cheaper option if it works.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:33 AM
JeremyS is infamous around these parts
I've got them on my car running at 1.1 bar. I knew I was taking a chance when I bought them, but I was pleasantly surprised by the fit and quality of the aluminum fittings. You'll need to source some decent narrow hose clamps (bought mine at West Marine). 3 of the hoses were a bit too long so I trimmed them and they fit nicely with no kinks. Better than being too short I guess...

Old 10-08-2009, 11:10 AM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
The boost hoses and F-hose have been on Ebay for short time and thought the same thing "too good to be true" and decided to pass. Anyone can make something cheap as we all know, but will it pass the quality, fit, and function test. Do not want to end a DE early or getting stranded while cruising the mountain roads due to some cheap knock-off. That is why I ordered mine from VIVID (Sean) to play it safe. I am sure if the hoses could be made for less VIVID, EVOMS, SAMCO would do so. The pricing is almost the same between all 3 of them. Got the F-hose so far just waiting for the matching blue boost hoses

Old 10-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
i've used made in china hoses for past cars. They are thinner. As long as there's plenty of overlap, nipple on attachment end and proper fitted hose clamps, it's fine.

could i tell a difference in boost pressure, or response, no, not really. but it wasnt a high boost car. I'd say anything over 1bar, best play it safe cos when IC hoses pop off, turbos get a kick in the teeth. had a car that boosted 1.5-1.9 bar and it popped off samco hoses that were double hose clamped. I had to get super heavy duty hose clamps to stop that from happeneing so boost pressures do matter after a point.

plus as mentioned, attachment points are different on the Pcar since they aren't your standard hose clamp type.

but the price says a lot about what's possible. since the main failing point (if any) on made in china hoses would more so be about design over materials. So say materials - 250 (including healthy margin) and the price premium/difference compared to others - design. at some point, most if not all products made in non-china will face pricing pressures as quality differentials closes the gap.

if i knew about these before getting AP (plus clearance issues specific to AP airbox) would have taken the risk to try as plan for car is 1bar max.

some samco's are made in china, my friend has his hoses made in the same place. the day will come when made in china is no longer an issue but commonly accepted. japan, then korea, taiwan started similarly.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:42 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 996TWINS
I am sure if the hoses could be made for less VIVID, EVOMS, SAMCO would do so. T
Really??

I reject the concept that Price is always reflective of Quality.

I reject the assertion that if Vivid, evoms, etc, could make it cheaper they would automatically lower the price.

I am not saying these ebay hoses have any level of quality- good or bad- but assuming it is "Good" because it is "expensive" is a faulty (think Dinan) assumption.

Just like it is faulty to assume that if it is "Aftermarket" it must be "better than stock". I've always been interested in comparisons of NEW stock hoses to these aftermarket improvements....especially for otherwise stock or near-stock cars...

A

Old 10-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
There are different qualities in hoses... Idid contact the manufacturer last year and they said they make them for some European company as well... I guess only way to find out is to get them and run 1.5 bar....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-08-2009, 01:18 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Ard, your first point of price is "always" reflective of quality is not what I said. I bought an aftermarket front spoiler for less than $150.00 delivered and very happy with it and will continue to buy it. Very, very close to OE.

In this case of the hoses I decided to pass on buying it was just my gut feeling. A little too leery about something that is two-thirds less that what is currently being offered. If someone would buy them and give a positive review that would be great!

The second point of suppliers of the boost hoses mentioned would lower the price if they could. Every sponsor here that sells wants an advantage over the other to sell their prouducts and it is a mix of quality, price, customer service and among others. Do not think these have a huge mark up due to the limited amount of cars made. It is not like we are talking about a part made for a Toyota Camry that is made by the hundreds of thousands, where tooling and R&D costs can be spread over a large amount of product being sold.

I agree with you on your last statement regarding aftermarket and stock.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:30 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ssmugen
Yah I have a feeling mine are at the end of their life so i'm looking to get new hoses... I might just pay the extra for a set from one of the sponsors but still a bit curious about the cheaper option if it works.
Stock is the least expensive option.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cheap boost hoses...