996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Austin TX -- Check out a 996TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Paul_DC is infamous around these parts
Austin TX -- Check out a 996TT?

Hi,

May have finally found the right 996TT (for me), but it is way out in Austin. It goes in for a PPI at Roger Beasley Porsche on Monday, but could use another set of eyes on the car to look for anything obvious in the paint / interior etc. Anyone near Austin want to help out and stop by Roger on Monday as a drive by?

Also, anyone have experience with a PPI from Roger's?

If I buy the car there, I can stop by with a 6-pack to say thank you.

Thank you!!!!

Paul

Old 10-08-2009, 11:38 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm no where close, but let me tell you, not all PPI's are created equal. Be sure to ask them to check over-revs, stage 1 and stage 2. Also, to check for 2nd gear pop-out. Maybe someone else can chime in with other important factors to ask for in the PPI. But don't assume that they're going to cover everything, if there's certain things that are most important to you, make sure that you ask them to perform that task. You can even ask them beforehand what their PPI includes, that way you can see if there's things you want them to add to the list. Good luck!!!

Old 10-08-2009, 11:52 PM
ezeks is infamous around these parts
My Boss and several buddies are in ATX. None are turbo owners but they own p-cars and could possibly look for the obvious stuff (paint, interior wear, tranny issues etc.) I am sure there are several others in the tx area that could take a look, but if all falls through let me know and I can probably get someone to give it a once over.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:18 AM
secretvampire is infamous around these parts
I have heard pretty negative things about Beasley and wouldn't take my TT for service there, don't know about a PPI... just a heads up. I had a friend take his 996 C2 in for service and received it back over the weekend with a BULLET HOLE in the hood. I mean, WTF? They first tried to deny it and finally took care of it, but he obviously never it took it back there again.

And what Scott says, be sure you know what you are getting with the PPI...

I would be willing to take a look at the car, but unfortunately there is a strong possibility I'll be out of town on Monday.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the responses. Had not considered there was a variance in PPI -- will call Beasely today to talk through options for the PPO.

Secretvampire and ezeks, thank you for the offer! Greatly appreciated. Any other shops in the area vs. there?

And btw, a bullet hole? Maybe I don't want to pick up the car and should have it pit on a trailer to at least outside the city limits.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:13 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Paul_DC
Thanks for the responses. Had not considered there was a variance in PPI -- will call Beasely today to talk through options for the PPO.

I am surprised that people have not yet figured out that there is NO SUCH THINGS AS A "Porsche PPI"... every dealer has a different definition.

I recommend using the Porsche CPO checklist (and the underlying criteria)... so they do same inspecton and document it to you. ADD to it an EXPLICIT test for 'second gear pop out'. I would not just say "check for 2nd gear pop out" but rather find the thread here, snip out the part where someone has posted a 'how to check' and have the dealer sign off on the bottom of the page. Yes, dealers can be that dense. Finally, add a 'dump' of the DME for any codes and all over-rev data. Tell the dealer they will be responsible for any over-revs generated during their possession...

GL

A

Old 10-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Electron Mike is infamous around these parts
I might be able to swing by to take a look depending on the time. Will it be at Roger Beasley this weekend too?

Old 10-09-2009, 10:28 AM
cheeta is infamous around these parts
Tim in service is a pretty good guy! I have a couple of porsches and have actually bought from them and had service. He has made the effort to make sure i was taken care of.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Banned
Boost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant futureBoost Logic has a brilliant future
If it is possible for them to bring it by our shop we can look it over for you.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:25 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
A lot of dealers do not include body work in the ppi, citing too much liability. It kinda sucks but it's true

Old 10-09-2009, 11:27 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Boost Logic
If it is possible for them to bring it by our shop we can look it over for you.
This is without question your best option.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Well as an update. I called and emailed the owner today to see how the PPI went and let him know I have not heard from the dealership. I have plane ticket booked, hotel booked, my current car in the process of being sold, the funding squared away and all things are a go.

He tells me he sold the car -- via email after I email him.

I did not have a deposit down, but thought when I agreed to pay for the PPI ($300+) and travel down there that was sufficient. That will teach me. So annoyed and bummed. Ugh.

Anyone want a ticket from DC to TX?

Edit -- seems someone went out yesterday and offered him more than the asking price and agreed to the sale then.

Last edited by Paul_DC; 10-12-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:43 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Well as an update. I called and emailed the owner today to see how the PPI went and let him know I have not heard from the dealership. I have plane ticket booked, hotel booked, my current car in the process of being sold, the funding squared away and all things are a go.

I did not have a deposit down, but thought when I agreed to pay for the PPI ($300+) and travel down there that was sufficient. That will teach me. So annoyed and bummed. Ugh.

Edit -- seems someone went out yesterday and offered him more than the asking price and agreed to the sale then.
That truly sucks.

Unfortunately, we tend to view others through the prism of our own integrity, and when something like this happens one is reminded how others can be pretty low class.

However, from his point of view, he has been getting beat up om price, with all kinds of low ballers, etc. He figures he owes this faceless, voiceless buyer no courtesy.

If I may offer an opinion: DO NOT DO 'BUSINESS' VIA EMAIL. By connecting personally and directly, you 'humanize' the situation and make it harder for people to be mean- it is why salesmen want you in the store. It also shows a higher commitment. And of course not signing an agreement and fedexing a deposit was a big mistake.

There are more...good luck!

A

Old 10-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !

Do you have a link to his f/s ad?

Old 10-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by ard
That truly sucks.

Unfortunately, we tend to view others through the prism of our own integrity, and when something like this happens one is reminded how others can be pretty low class.

However, from his point of view, he has been getting beat up om price, with all kinds of low ballers, etc. He figures he owes this faceless, voiceless buyer no courtesy.

If I may offer an opinion: DO NOT DO 'BUSINESS' VIA EMAIL. By connecting personally and directly, you 'humanize' the situation and make it harder for people to be mean- it is why salesmen want you in the store. It also shows a higher commitment. And of course not signing an agreement and fedexing a deposit was a big mistake.

There are more...good luck!

A
You are spot on. Only clarifying point is that we did talk over the phone about the car, his cars, his friends cars, and his need to have the car sold before he went on vacation. He seemed very stand-up and even offered to repair a wheel while the car was in for the PPI. I did not even think of doing a deposit before the PPI that was only I think 3 days away from when we talked.

Agree on the deposit. Definitely a lesson learned -- the hard way.

Ah well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Austin TX -- Check out a 996TT?