996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
View Poll Results: If I sell my TT, get Lotus Elise or SLK55
Lotus Elise
55.56%
MB SLK55
22.22%
Other
22.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

If I sell my TT, Elise or SLK55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 10:46 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Looks like Fred is considering Top Down. Again, VIPER SRT. Hey you're more than welcome to fly to Chicago and get some seat time in mine (with the 1300HP of course) You will not be dissapointed - even naturally aspirated.

Old 11-24-2004, 10:47 AM
Jack(LA) is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by fredttx50
good points guys.

I am going to go to a Lotus dealership to sit in the Elise as I am 6 2'. I sat in the SLK320 and I had plenty of leg room.

The other factors for choosing the SLK55 is that it has a retractable hard top and I believe there would be more aftermarket options (OH NO!!!!)
Fred, you'll have plenty of leg room and head room in the Elise. It's the ingress and egress that can be tough with the roof on, but with a little practice you'll master the technique. I'm 6'1", a bit wider and a lot older than you and I can manage entry and exit.

It's a blast to drive, and is a fantastic track car right out of the box. Plus, being a "modaholic", you'll find the cost of mods downright cheap. IMHO, it's really a track car/toy -- I wouldn't want to be in the position of "needing to drive it" daily or as my regular means of transportation. Btw, just drove this baby back from Vegas on Sunday...through the snow -- no problem.

Old 11-24-2004, 10:52 AM
Pistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these parts
boxster s

Old 11-24-2004, 11:03 AM
fredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond repute
You guys aren't helping me one bit!

Regarding the Vipers/Vettes, I know they are great cars and great bang for the buck. But honestly, I can't get over the stereotypes that come with those cars. (nothing against those who have them but's its simply not me).

I also dont' want an older car, would like something new. I also don't want a 4 door as I already have the Pepper.

I think the best thing will be for me to first sell the TT. Once it's sold, then I can sit back and take my time in choosing the right car.

For Sale sign coming in the next week or two to test the waters. If no one buys, no worries as I will keep it.

Old 11-24-2004, 11:07 AM
MJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud of
I LOVE the Lotus. Totally different experience from the TT. I'm also 6'2", and fit fine. Certainly not a grocery getter, you'll figure out what ingress/egress works best for you (for me, step in and slide down the seat) but it's not something you want to do several times a day.

I only put the top on to wash it.

Old 11-24-2004, 11:10 AM
pdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to behold
Why not get a Ruf 3600s? or even the 3800? All the manners of a Boxster S but loads of power and handling for the track.

Old 11-24-2004, 11:14 AM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
Get the Elise. Fantastic track car (so I've heard) and exotic looking to boot. SLK is not you my friend.

Old 11-24-2004, 11:16 AM
fredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond repute
how can I say no to this

http://www.puresportscar.com/specs.php

Old 11-24-2004, 11:24 AM
ryan has a spectacular aura aboutryan has a spectacular aura aboutryan has a spectacular aura about
wait and get an aston martin V8

Old 11-24-2004, 11:27 AM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
Re: If I sell my TT, Elise or SLK55?

Originally posted by fredttx50
Ok I may seriously put my car up for sale within the next couple of months. Reason being is that I spent soo much on my new house and I need some cash handy. So I still want a little sports car I can have fun in and take to the track. So I am thinking for the Elise ($45K) or the SLK55 ($75K). I am leaning towards the Elise as it's less expensive and it's a manual.

I welcome everyones opinion.

Fred
If you like a track car that you can drive on the street, I'd get the Elise. I've had two, great cars, the best track cars I have owned/driven. They are cheap to buy, cheap to run, and loads of fun. I drove a year on a set of slicks and brake pads. At their weight they just don't stress the hardware. In addition, if you hit something, the entire front and rear clams just bolt off. You can purchase a new or used clam, paint it, bolt it on, and you are back in business (Yes I have experience in this area...

The downside of the Lotus is that I would not want to go on any long trips in it, and they are a pain to get in and out off...

Good luck.
Roy

Old 11-24-2004, 11:37 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
At 2000 lbs, I'd be worried about being rear ended or t boned by another car or truck. To me, sports cars have to be safe too. In an SLK, you'll be far safer.

Gotta love that light weight feel though.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:10 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by JP Schnitzer

For pennies you can have yourself an E-36 M3 which is still one of the best feeling cars in the world....Talk about a bargain!!!!!!Take it over to Dinan for a few goodies, and have something that gives as much driving pleasure as anything out there....
yes, as long as you don't mind regoing through the 1200 mile break in process everytime the blown motor is replaced or recall is done on the bearings. only a fool would put that dinan snake oil crap on an already weak motor. bmw always looks for a way to avoid warranty responsibility and you don't want to give them ammo. "but dinan warranties it". bullschit. dinan will blame the damage on bmw and bmw will blame it on dinan and neither will step up until you've spent much more than the damage in legal expenses.

Last edited by ben, lj; 11-24-2004 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:17 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
Get arling's GT2. He's dumping it

Fred, the SLK is a chick car. Really. I'll be pointing and laughing at you if you see you driving it Besides, what do u need a hardtop for. You have no hair to protect

The Elise is a quirky enthusiast's car. Don't think too many chicks will bother with it.

If you're really tight on money, get a used C2 and supercharge it like Kirby. Hate to see u disappear from the porsche world.

Besides, I spend loads of money on the house too. Just gotta space it out man.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:18 PM
NJPete996TT is infamous around these parts
Mod'd Mini?

Old 11-24-2004, 12:58 PM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
Since anything else is a slower car, why not get at least an everyday " handler " and open top , too : 987 Boxster S ? Arriving mid Jan in US .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: If I sell my TT, Elise or SLK55?