996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
View Poll Results: If I sell my TT, get Lotus Elise or SLK55
Lotus Elise
55.56%
MB SLK55
22.22%
Other
22.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

If I sell my TT, Elise or SLK55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 09:51 AM
fredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond repute
Question If I sell my TT, Elise or SLK55?

Ok I may seriously put my car up for sale within the next couple of months. Reason being is that I spent soo much on my new house and I need some cash handy. So I still want a little sports car I can have fun in and take to the track. So I am thinking for the Elise ($45K) or the SLK55 ($75K). I am leaning towards the Elise as it's less expensive and it's a manual.

I welcome everyones opinion.

Fred

Old 11-24-2004, 09:54 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Re: If I sell my TT, Elise or SLK55?

Originally posted by fredttx50
Ok I may seriously put my car up for sale within the next couple of months. Reason being is that I spent soo much on my new house and I need some cash handy. So I still want a little sports car I can have fun in and take to the track. So I am thinking for the Elise ($45K) or the SLK55 ($75K). I am leaning towards the Elise as it's less expensive and it's a manual.

I welcome everyones opinion.

Fred
What's the point of swaping the TT for an SL55 if it's a money decision since your used TT isn't worth a ton more than the SL55? FWIW, I don't think you're gonna wanna take a 4400 pig to the track! I can't imagine tires and brakes last more than 5 minutes!

Old 11-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
SLK is cheaper and lighter than an SL

Old 11-24-2004, 10:09 AM
whmarr is infamous around these parts
He was talking about the new SLK55, It is smaller and lighter. If you plan on tracking the car Elise is the way to go

Old 11-24-2004, 10:10 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Ben, I think he meant SL K 55. Two of those (SLK and Elise) are smaller cars. What are you thinking Fred?

I sat inside the elise - barely - in order to get out, we called the fire department (j/k) but I was surely on 4 to get out.

I wouldn't chose either as a replacemenet for the TT. If you really wanted something top down and trendy, you should consider an SRT Viper (allow 5 to 10k in mods) and it'll look pretty sick!

Old 11-24-2004, 10:12 AM
NYSEGuy is infamous around these parts
That SLK55 is gonna be a beast!

Old 11-24-2004, 10:13 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by ShankGT2
Ben, I think he meant SL K 55. Two of those (SLK and Elise) are smaller cars. What are you thinking Fred?

I sat inside the elise - barely - in order to get out, we called the fire department (j/k) but I was surely on 4 to get out.

I wouldn't chose either as a replacemenet for the TT. If you really wanted something top down and trendy, you should consider an SRT Viper (allow 5 to 10k in mods) and it'll look pretty sick!
Opps, he sure was. I'm still not sure the 3400+ lb SLK (automatic) will make that fun of a track car. Then again, I'm not sure the Elise will make a great street car. They are both on fairly opposite ends of the track/street equation.

Old 11-24-2004, 10:14 AM
Basic Sponsor
Wheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Experts has a reputation beyond repute
SLK 55

http://www.wheelexperts.com
email: peter@wheelexperts.com

HRE | Forgeline | Modulare | PUR | TechArt | Brabus | Novitec | Vossen | Avant Garde | Vorsteiner | BBS | Eisenmann | Quicksilver | Brembo | KW | WALD | +many more

***DFW Showroom now OPEN at 4515 McEwen Rd in Dallas, 1 block West of the Dallas Galleria***

***WE SHIP WORLDWIDE!!!!!***
Old 11-24-2004, 10:16 AM
ryan has a spectacular aura aboutryan has a spectacular aura aboutryan has a spectacular aura about
get the slk55
slk55 =3,397 lb
plus later you can kleemannize it and it will be sick
have you been in an elise? what are you like 6'4? i dont think youll be comfortable in it. the slk has the same legroom as a sl

Last edited by ryan; 11-24-2004 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:25 AM
fredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond repute
good points guys.

I am going to go to a Lotus dealership to sit in the Elise as I am 6 2'. I sat in the SLK320 and I had plenty of leg room.

The other factors for choosing the SLK55 is that it has a retractable hard top and I believe there would be more aftermarket options (OH NO!!!!)

Old 11-24-2004, 10:27 AM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
WHY DONT U JUST GET A 997 CARRERA S AND KEEP IT IN THE PORSCHE FAMILY?

Old 11-24-2004, 10:32 AM
alamein is infamous around these parts
wow, stepping down from your beast to a SLK would IMHO be quite a step-down.

Elise would be better ... or even better, 993 Turbo? 355? modded NSX? Corvette? etc.

Old 11-24-2004, 10:37 AM
JP Schnitzer is infamous around these parts
If the new SLK55 is anything like it's predecessor the SLK32 I would pass...That car was all motor, with dull uninspiring handling and a very cramped cockpit....The Mercedes are cool, but they just don't deliver in the handling dynamics department.....Very quickly a boring car.

For the Money, you can get a lot of car.....Many different, and beautiful Porsches....993 C4S or C2S, or 996 C4S....All of which would be really fun cars for street and track....or how about a 1994 Turbo 3.6?

For pennies you can have yourself an E-36 M3 which is still one of the best feeling cars in the world....Talk about a bargain!!!!!!Take it over to Dinan for a few goodies, and have something that gives as much driving pleasure as anything out there.... Or go back to the E-39 M5 which is still one of the finest rides around....Those are getting cheap too!

Audi S4 Avant not a bad option.....Fast, room for all the stuff, and daily livable....

My .02 cents

Old 11-24-2004, 10:37 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
I saw an orange elise in my rear view mirror. It looked exotic. The new SLk looked sweet too, but I saw chicks driving em. : )

Old 11-24-2004, 10:41 AM
Welcome to the OC, bitch!
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
SLK is too girly and it will have the patented Mercedes disconnection from the road.

Elise looks cool, but it's so spartan & rough around the edges.

I'd go with Shank & look at a Viper (1 year old will save some dough) or perhaps an '04 Z06...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: If I sell my TT, Elise or SLK55?