996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Do you really need big heads/valves for nearly 1000hp?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 08:29 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
yes......

Old 10-12-2009, 11:29 AM
smdubovsky is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
So if you decrease the two associated gears contact surface area you there-by have a lower % of loss?
We're going off topic, but no. If you halve area you double pressure. Probably depends on specific conditions to know how it changes net loss. It surely would accelerate wear.

Side note: In "racing per matchet" F1 coverage they once showed the gearbox apart. The gears looked to be ~10mm wide. I know their torques aren't THAT high due to the high rpm of the motor but still crazy what they can achieve on such tiny gears. The whole box must weigh close to nothing.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Old 10-13-2009, 09:42 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
CJV

what is the application/ maker of those throttle bodies amazing.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:22 AM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Honestly it would be so much easier if folks would simply quote WHP and be done with it. Dreamwheeling flywheel HP is silly. In the end I don't care what the engine might be making and care mostly for what hits the road at the wheels. I'll grant that these cars being dyno'd as AWD or RWD makes comparisons of WHP a little trickier but less so than the flywheel guesstimates. From what I've observed 15% is a pretty high loss guess for a RWD car too - that a powerglide? You can do the math from the fuel usage to come close on potential power produced but then you have to sweat BSFC. Just so much easier to use a dyno number and not worry the differences between dynos so much. <shrug>

Old 10-14-2009, 08:28 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
CJV

Protomotive is selling/installing them.

beyond gorgeous...

Old 10-14-2009, 08:30 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
CJV

Todd at Protomotive will sell/install/tune those for a very custom
application

Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2009, 09:08 AM
GTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud ofGTRking has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Honestly it would be so much easier if folks would simply quote WHP and be done with it. Dreamwheeling flywheel HP is silly. In the end I don't care what the engine might be making and care mostly for what hits the road at the wheels. I'll grant that these cars being dyno'd as AWD or RWD makes comparisons of WHP a little trickier but less so than the flywheel guesstimates. From what I've observed 15% is a pretty high loss guess for a RWD car too - that a powerglide? You can do the math from the fuel usage to come close on potential power produced but then you have to sweat BSFC. Just so much easier to use a dyno number and not worry the differences between dynos so much. <shrug>
only problem with that is that you cannot reference factory car horsepower for comparison when talking to people who don't know. I use bhp conversion when I talk to friends that are not very knowledgeable. That way they can use these other cars as a reference. if you use 18% on an awd car you are pretty safe. if you use 15% on a rwd car you are pretty safe.