996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need New Clutch for 600hp TT 6sp., Daily Driver any suggestions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:29 PM
RAU940 is infamous around these parts
Need New Clutch for 600hp TT 6sp., Daily Driver any suggestions.

Hi,
I want something that is easy to drive (6speed) in Los Angeles traffic, but can handle POC events. It must be able to handle 650 hp, 600 torque.
Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:34 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
The following Sachs Motorsports parts. Do this and you will be very happy, trust me on this one! Stick with the OEM dual mass flywheel too, buy a new one if you fancy so it's all brand new.

883082999764 P/P
881864001098 Special Surface Organic disc
Plus new throw-out bearing

Old 10-12-2009, 04:48 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I'm a fan of the 964RS LWFW, personally... It's a little noisy at idle with the clutch out, but man those matched rev shifts are simply unbeatable! I also like the fibertuff option for material on the GT3 sprung hub clutch disc... I had the kevlar coated disc but am upgrading to the fibertuff material for the FW side of the disc! My car simply would not be harnessed by the clamping forces of the parts Ben listed above. We had three clutch/PP options installed before we got it right... The Sachs 999 PP with Clutchmasters Fulcrom mod and the clutch prepped as I describe above was the answer to 650BHP.

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 10-12-2009 at 04:53 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks Ben and Mike!

I was quoted a GT2 clutch with a custom pressure plate from GMG $2,300. Or a Clutch Masters stage 2 for around $1500.

It seems you both like Sachs products. Is that the same clutch I see on Ebay for $699? (it would be nice to save that much money!):

This is their ad:
A willingness to innovate without compromises, combined with years of know-how and a striving for top quality, are characteristic of the SACHS success story. That’s why SACHS clutches are among the most competitive products worldwide. The newest developments in automotive technology from Formula 1, automobile racing‘s premier series, directly into our manufacturing processes. It’s just one more way that we can guarantee state-of-the-art engineering. Sachs clutches are manufactured to meet or exceed OEM specifications. A proven and time-tested OE and aftermarket supplier, we use only superior quality components and asbestos-free clutch linings. To restore your vehicle to OE operating condition, Sachs offers a complete clutch kit to ensure a one-time replacement.

• [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Retail Price: $ 1495
K70284-01-SA #19
Buy from the right seller! Gripforce is the largest SACHS distributor on eBay! Beware that many other sellers on eBay sells non-genuine, repackaged SACHS clutches under different brand name such as BOSS !!! Remember that ONLY the genuine SACHS clutch kit contains all genuine components and offers SACHS world wide 12 month/ 12,000 mile manufacturer warranty.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:17 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Just call Kevin at UMW (what I did)...got the full Sachs kit, LWFW (964RS part), and then I got the evoms gt2 upgrade (much harder clutch....try out a gt3 first before you do this....you get used to it, but it is tough on stop and go type traffic I suspect...I see that traffic and don't care....).

We are all saying the same thing here....find a place, make it easy on yourself...one stop shopping is nice. Lots of vendors....Kevin, Sharkey, GMG, Dan at Vivid, etc.

Good luck.

Jeff

Old 10-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
I agree with the factory stuff...Love the light flywheel but the trade off (noisy and touchy) may not be worth it unless you do lots of track driving. If you stay with the dual mass flywheel use the factory gt-2 disc. Cheap and works great.

Essentially you will have a GT-2 set-up with a factory sacks high performance pressure plate. Be sure and change out your clutch accumulator as well while you are in there. Should be around $125ish for that.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks Jeff and Sam. I like the idea of the factory GT2 disc and the dual mass flywheel. I still have my 82 SC for the IP class in POC for serious fun on the track and this GT2 setup should allow me to enjoy a few days at big willow with no problem as well.

Cheers to all of you fine Gents for the feedback!

Richard

Old 10-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I guess it depends on the version of 600HP you're shooting for...

And no, my kit didn't come from ebay... The Sachs Pressure Plate is modified by Clutchmasters, and is the motorsport part that is what Kevin at UMW called for. The other issue is that some will tell you to use an unsprung clutch disc. Kevin at UMW recommended the sprung unit. My indy put three different clutches in before mine would hook up. No difference in tune or other components, other than the clutch kit. Three clutches. You certainly don't want to go thru that, do you?

Mike

Old 10-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Project911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Just call Kevin at UMW (what I did)...got the full Sachs kit, LWFW (964RS part), and then I got the evoms gt2 upgrade (much harder clutch....try out a gt3 first before you do this....you get used to it, but it is tough on stop and go type traffic I suspect...I see that traffic and don't care....).

We are all saying the same thing here....find a place, make it easy on yourself...one stop shopping is nice. Lots of vendors....Kevin, Sharkey, GMG, Dan at Vivid, etc.

Good luck.

Jeff
I just checked out a gt3 clutch is it's much much stiffer then my stock. I will get the conversion if you porcshe isn't a daily driver. Too bad there's nothing in between.