996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

is this mechanic reasonable ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 02:36 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
is this mechanic reasonable ?

my car has a weird stutter at approx 4k revs so i took it to a mechanic last week who came highly reccomended, he only deals with porsches and has a great reputation

i dropped it off tuesday morning, took him for a ride to experience the problem, gave him the name and number of EPL in case they had any questions on the tune

called friday, didnt seem like he remembered me at all ! asked me for the name of the tuning company again

( i emailed tony at epl to give him a heads that he might be getting a call from my mechanic, tony asked for him number and then called my mechanic, couldnt reach him so left a message, as usual, excellent service rom tony)

i emailed him monday asking if i would be able to have it back by the weekend...havent heard back from him yet

maybe i'm just used to going to the dealer where you get the car back within a day or two but i just feel like he should be calling me to let me know whats going on or at the least replying to my email telling me they are trying to figure out the problem and will get back to me asap

am i just being impatient ? this is my first time with this mechanic and i would like to use him basically forever and refer him to friends but it seems this isnt the way to start a new relationship

Old 10-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buzzm
my car has a weird stutter at approx 4k revs so i took it to a mechanic last week who came highly reccomended, he only deals with porsches and has a great reputation

i dropped it off tuesday morning, took him for a ride to experience the problem, gave him the name and number of EPL in case they had any questions on the tune

called friday, didnt seem like he remembered me at all ! asked me for the name of the tuning company again

( i emailed tony at epl to give him a heads that he might be getting a call from my mechanic, tony asked for him number and then called my mechanic, couldnt reach him so left a message, as usual, excellent service rom tony)

i emailed him monday asking if i would be able to have it back by the weekend...havent heard back from him yet

maybe i'm just used to going to the dealer where you get the car back within a day or two but i just feel like he should be calling me to let me know whats going on or at the least replying to my email telling me they are trying to figure out the problem and will get back to me asap

am i just being impatient ? this is my first time with this mechanic and i would like to use him basically forever and refer him to friends but it seems this isnt the way to start a new relationship
Uggg... Let me know if you would like us to take a look. We really aren't that far.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:13 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
thanks tony

i think i'll give him a couple of days more but if nothing has hapenned by friday i'll just pick up my car and then i'll give you a call to schedule a visit

Old 10-14-2009, 06:44 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
finding a mechanic u can trust is like finding a wife man good luck. thats why there are so many DIYers and good shops charge good money =)

Old 10-14-2009, 07:16 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
very little pisses me off more than mechanics not calling and telling you what's up. If you have to call, they blew it IMO.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:32 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
had that shutter. felt like i was running over railroad tracks, it was the maf 3min fix and about $3.00 for the elec cleaner try it it's painless

Old 10-14-2009, 07:40 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
does it happen more so when rolling on the throttle or hard rev?

i think my car might have this same issue it tends to act like something is chopping throttle very quickly ina short period of time n then it goes away

Old 10-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
finding a mechanic u can trust is like finding a wife
Aw crap......is this why he keeps asking for a blow job?

Old 10-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Shark01
Aw crap......is this why he keeps asking for a blow job?
rofl

Old 10-14-2009, 08:13 PM
it only happens when accelerating hard, always arround 4k revs, feels like something is escaping from a hose and something else is holding the car back but in a stuttering sort of way for a second at most, really hard to explain

maf looks clean

Old 10-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Stephen,

It sounds like it could be spark plugs. Have they been changed recently?

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 10-14-2009, 08:30 PM
hi john

not sure, i'll have to check

i could probably replace a bunch of things in the hopes of fixing it but if the mechanic doesnt come up with a fix i think my first step will be to take it to Tony at epl, i get the feeling that a good porsche guy would know what the problem is if they took it for a drive

Old 10-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Bodybag has a spectacular aura aboutBodybag has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by buzzm
it only happens when accelerating hard, always arround 4k revs, feels like something is escaping from a hose and something else is holding the car back but in a stuttering sort of way for a second at most, really hard to explain, maf looks clean
Plugs

Had the same exact thing 2 times. Once in my GT2, plugs fixed it... once in my 993tt, plugs fixed it. When the plugs are gapped wrong or start to get weak they can't fire easily under the stress of quick boost so you get a stutter.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Bodybag
Plugs

Had the same exact thing 2 times. Once in my GT2, plugs fixed it... once in my 993tt, plugs fixed it. When the plugs are gapped wrong or start to get weak they can't fire easily under the stress of quick boost so you get a stutter.

funny i was just posting about plugs n preparing for a coil pack swap out hrm guess i was right on track.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Stephen,

I'll go out on a limb and say "Have your plugs changed and I am pretty sure it will clear up"...what you are describing is the classic "worn out plugs" scenario. You can do the coils if you want, but you probably don't need to.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: is this mechanic reasonable ?