996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Fighting LASER Radar ticket - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Bodybag has a spectacular aura aboutBodybag has a spectacular aura about
Fighting LASER Radar ticket - suggestions?

I'm going on the 27th to fight a laser radar ticket. I am preparing to read the operators instructions of the unit used by the issuing department, as well as obtain the dept specific procedure for use, testing and calibration. Does anyone have any additional tips for fighting a laser radar ticket?

The laser caught me at 1204 feet which I think is excessive and that's why I chose to fight it. The ticket was for 82 mph in a 45 zone.

BTW - This was NOT in my GT2, this was in my pickup truck

Last edited by Bodybag; 10-14-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:13 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
were you doing 82 ?

Old 10-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Bodybag has a spectacular aura aboutBodybag has a spectacular aura about
Doubt it. Total distance from the street I pulled out from to where the officer was parked is 2002 feet. If he hit me at 1204 feet then that means i would've had to accelerate to 82 mph in approx 800 feet. Not likely in a 2001 4x4 Crewcab Longbed Chevy diesel truck.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:28 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Laser tickets difficult to fight. If you want to try I would suggest enlisting the services of a traffic attorney in your area.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:23 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
stantheradarman.com

Old 10-14-2009, 06:04 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Ask the judge when was the last time he convicted an off duty police officer for speeding. He never has because cops don't ticket other cops. Then tell him you cite the equal protection clause of the fourth amendment and want the same treatment as the off duty cop.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:09 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
check with city if the street has been approved for redar in the old days they had to do this every two years...ya gotta make the judge like ya. remember ha has a badge too and does not get tickets

Old 10-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
Ask the judge when was the last time he convicted an off duty police officer for speeding. He never has because cops don't ticket other cops. Then tell him you cite the equal protection clause of the fourth amendment and want the same treatment as the off duty cop.
Don't you mean the 14th Amendment?

Old 10-14-2009, 07:16 PM
ag_boxster is infamous around these partsag_boxster is infamous around these parts
You might try listening to Rule Of Law Radio at www.ruleoflawradio.com Monday, Thursday 8 to 10 Central, and Friday nights 8 to Midnight. I think they do traffic mostly Mondays and Fridays. Anyway, worth a try.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:52 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Don't you mean the 14th Amendment?
You may very well be right. History was not my best subject.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:34 AM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
From an article:

It is not unheard of for people to establish that the police did not properly maintain such a device, and thus that the reading is not admissible. Please note that this type of defense requires that you be proactive in advance of your court hearing, and obtain relevant police reports, as well as manufacturer instructions, regulations and maintenance logs for the equipment at issue.
It is also worth checking the maximum range at which the device used by the officer is considered functional. If the manufacturer says that the device works at 50 to 600 feet, and the officer claims to have taken your speed at 1,000 feet, it may be possible to exclude the radar or laser reading on that basis.

And this:

The discovery request should be made immediately. Some examples of the kinds of information requested through the discovery process are:
  • Copies of the arresting officer's log books for the particular day or hour,
  • Copies of both sides of the arresting officer's copy of the ticket,
  • A description of the device used to measure your speed, and
  • The officer's training records on that device.
California v Kruger, Pantos, Payne-Municipal Court of Sacramento California, 887092, DP44339, DP54571. The court ruled, “The lack of adequate training by the Sacramento Police Department has caused this court to conclude that there should be a presumption against the admissibility of radar readings when presented by an officer of that department. This court urges the Sacramento Police Department to immediately embark on a training program in accordance with NHTSA standards. The training program should be conducted by highly qualified radar operators and not by manufacturer’s representatives.”

Check out this site too: http://tipmra.com/sample/tipmra_sample.htm
Read this carefully and more than once. Lots of really good stuff

Old 10-15-2009, 05:51 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet

Not true, go to Fredericksburg, VA and see how nice the troopers are down there. They ticket everyone, and are the biggest aholes I have ever met. I have cop friends who rolled through there in a caravan for work, they were going to help in new orleans for the floods. They got pulled over near exit 248 by one idiot trooper. They explained where they were going, he said to keep it at the speed limmit. they took off again and were doing about 8-9 over and this time the trooper called his buddies and they pulled them all over and gave them all tickets.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:53 AM
I think your example is extremely rare. My brother-in-law is a states attorney and ex-cop, and he told me they never ticketed each other as a professional courtesy.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:09 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
I thought the have not proven lidar to be an acceptable form of speed detection in the state of CA??? I would say you need to do a lot of research on this. There is a radar detector forum that has a lot on info on this.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:19 AM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
A friend of mine was a cop in Hawaii, and then went to the CHP. Decided after a few years being in law enforcement here in CA, it was not for him anymore. A short time later after joining the cilivian ranks he gets pulled over by a CHP officer, and turns out to be his "buddy" from the CHP training academy. TICKET ISSUED.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fighting LASER Radar ticket - suggestions?