996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Driver side headlamp "Flicker" ????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Alexcwt is infamous around these parts
Glad you find the problem. Good luck.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:41 PM
a66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Alexcwt
Glad you find the problem. Good luck.
I know where the problem is, just can't get to it.

Looking for anyone whom has experience with ripping in to the headlamp assemblies?

Old 11-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Alexcwt is infamous around these parts
I assume you check the continuity of the two prongs. I think it takes a special tool to open up the plug. Check Renntech.org

Old 11-28-2009, 02:30 PM
a66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to beholda66cobra1 is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Fixed

IT's FIXED!!!!!!

Today I set out to dig deep in to the headlamp assembly itself and discovered that at pin 12 on the main socket, there was supposed to be a ground that provided a ground to the low beam, high beam and the flapper. Got in there with the ohm meter and discovered that it had some resistance, more than normal, so I pinned out the other two ground points (Pin 6 and Pin 2) and they read perfectly. Sooooooooo, I went to fixing it, soldered all new connections and made the repair. WORKS PERFECTLY NOW!!!!

Thanks to those that helped me as well as those that tolerated my updates.

If anyone needs help fixing a headlamp, I am now more than capable.

Here are some pics of the final CUTS!!

Attached Images    
Old 11-28-2009, 03:13 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by a66cobra1
IT's FIXED!!!!!!

Today I set out to dig deep in to the headlamp assembly itself and discovered that at pin 12 on the main socket, there was supposed to be a ground that provided a ground to the low beam, high beam and the flapper. Got in there with the ohm meter and discovered that it had some resistance, more than normal, so I pinned out the other two ground points (Pin 6 and Pin 2) and they read perfectly. Sooooooooo, I went to fixing it, soldered all new connections and made the repair. WORKS PERFECTLY NOW!!!!

Thanks to those that helped me as well as those that tolerated my updates.

If anyone needs help fixing a headlamp, I am now more than capable.

Here are some pics of the final CUTS!!
Wow...that's a lot of troubleshooting. Nice job and contrats...must feel good to figure out the problem by yourself.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
Wow...that's a lot of troubleshooting. Nice job and contrats...must feel good to figure out the problem by yourself.
My wife said she could hear me all the way in the house from my garages... she said all she heard was a lot of screaming, commotion and something that sounded a lot like "CUSS WORD, CUSS WORD, Hell yeah VICTORY!!!!!!!!!"

That is pretty much how I remember it as well.

I am serious when I say, I know the headlamps to the tail lights inside out now.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:00 PM
DJM
DJM is just really niceDJM is just really niceDJM is just really niceDJM is just really nice
congrats I am glad you got it figured out

Old 11-28-2009, 06:27 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by a66cobra1
My wife said she could hear me all the way in the house from my garages... she said all she heard was a lot of screaming, commotion and something that sounded a lot like "CUSS WORD, CUSS WORD, Hell yeah VICTORY!!!!!!!!!"

That is pretty much how I remember it as well.

I am serious when I say, I know the headlamps to the tail lights inside out now.
LOL...I know exactly the feeling working on something that is tedius and frustrating.

It's time for:

Old 11-28-2009, 08:03 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
a66cobra1 vs technology: 1-0

Great work, dang that's persistent and I think anyone can respect that. Now we also have an expert in the field on the forum.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:13 PM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Cobra-
I am having the same issue with my pass. side light. Started not working... if I switched on and off several times it would work. Then that wouldn't do it..BUT it would work when it was raining. I have gone through most of the basic stuff, and although I tried another light switch, i have yet to try a ballast.

I have a question for you after reading this thread. You said pin 12, "there is supposed to be a ground that provided a ground..."

Do you mean the pin should be wired to ground inside the socket? did you get the socket apart and find a cold solder joint, or did you jump another ground over to it?

Thanks for the instructions...this is a huge help for me trying to figure this out!!!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by $manager
Cobra-
I am having the same issue with my pass. side light. Started not working... if I switched on and off several times it would work. Then that wouldn't do it..BUT it would work when it was raining. I have gone through most of the basic stuff, and although I tried another light switch, i have yet to try a ballast.

I have a question for you after reading this thread. You said pin 12, "there is supposed to be a ground that provided a ground..."

Do you mean the pin should be wired to ground inside the socket? did you get the socket apart and find a cold solder joint, or did you jump another ground over to it?

Thanks for the instructions...this is a huge help for me trying to figure this out!!!
I'll dig in the prints again tomorrow... but basically I had to jump a known good ground from a working light to the known bad ground at pin 12. There was just something going on inside the connector that I could not find. There are multiple good grounds in the overall pin-to-pin connector where the headlamp assy mates with the connector in the wheel well.

Give me a few hours and I'll pass that on to you. Trust me, it is 11:47 at night, been drinking with my buddies and you do not want me TS your 996TT.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:13 PM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Still hungover bro?!!!

Just bustin them.....by any chance do you have the wiring schematicfor the plugs?

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2010, 08:04 PM
GMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of light
I had the same issue with my driver's side headlight with slightly different fix. I too had an intermittent ground for the headlight. Rather than splicing off the blinker ground, i decided to get to the root of the problem.

So I took off the rear headlight cover, the leveling mechanism, the low beam projector and highbeam reflector to get access to the plug.

I slid the purple clip to the right off to the plug.
Name:  90671b75.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  73.0 KB

Using two tiny flat-head scewdrivers, I uncliped the connector towards the inside of the headlight.

The male blade connector is crimped in the middle, then a box is pressed round it. The "box" secures it to the plug. The connector broke inside the box leading to intermittent contact. After wiggling the connector, it came apart. Here's the blade side of the connector with the box.
Name:  534c1b82.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  28.9 KB

Here's the wire side of the connector
Name:  ba4f3542.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  31.5 KB

Here's the connector back together
Name:  e2fef95e.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  24.5 KB

... and here's my fix. I soldered the two pieces back together
Name:  c0e82281.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  18.7 KB

... and put the headlight back together in reverse order.

Hope that helps