996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Blow Off Valve vs. Diverter Valve?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:18 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Sorry, I don't buy it. Unless that air is directed right into the turbine inlet - which I think some rally cars may have done - the air isn't going to show any measurable benefit IMO. Someone's going to have to find a citation showing some measured difference before I'll be convinced. The volume of air moving in an intake tract to the turbo is enough that I don't see this helping - especially since one end is essentially open to atmosphere anyway out the air cleaner! If you put a gauge on that intake tract at the turbo I predict you'd see no pressure rise when the DVs pop and no measurable difference in spool vs blowing to atmo. Pressure on a good shift returns so fast it's amazing.

FWIW I'm very aware as to how fast this all occurs. My Supra blew to atmosphere and I did more datalogging on that car car than anyone I know short of a pro tuner - hundreds of hours at least under all sorts of conditions. You'd be surprised at how fast the turbo is back up to speed when you crack the throttle back open and the BOV closes. I logged turbo response specifically when folks tried to tell me I had used "too big" an intercooler on my car for the stock turbos and would see "lag". Yes, I logged it with a few other single turbos too As is often the case this turned out to be "common sense" not being true. When you consider the volume of air it takes to pressurize a running engine it's pretty amazing to watch how fast boost recovers on a shift - big IC or not. Even if the BOV returned the piping completely to ambient pressure (I'll bet it doesn't) the turbo moves some serious air and re-pressurizes in the blink of an eye.

BTW if you've ever wondered what it's like to not run a BOV or DV at all listen to a stock or lightly modded Buick GN. When you get off the gas in one of those you get to hear all sorts of noises as the turbo chokes on the bounced airstream. THAT most certainly has to have an effect!

P.S. FWIW I'm not a big fan of whistles, chirps, and other crap done on these things - some Japanese BOV literally had whistles in them! While maybe fun for a couple of shifts it quickly becomes VERY annoying - yes I tuned a car with one of these for over a week. That said blowing to atmo reduces plumbing clutter a GREAT deal. No goofy F-hoses or badly crimped intake tracts and the valve can be placed darn near anywhere without regard to having to get the air to the backside of the MAF through some tortured path. Going blow-thru to get this simplicity is pretty tempting since I happen to be chasing a boost loss issue right now with the DV circuit being a prime suspect!
i agree with this also.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:36 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Sorry, I don't buy it. Unless that air is directed right into the turbine inlet - which I think some rally cars may have done - the air isn't going to show any measurable benefit IMO. Someone's going to have to find a citation showing some measured difference before I'll be convinced. The volume of air moving in an intake tract to the turbo is enough that I don't see this helping - especially since one end is essentially open to atmosphere anyway out the air cleaner! If you put a gauge on that intake tract at the turbo I predict you'd see no pressure rise when the DVs pop and no measurable difference in spool vs blowing to atmo. Pressure on a good shift returns so fast it's amazing.

FWIW I'm very aware as to how fast this all occurs. My Supra blew to atmosphere and I did more datalogging on that car car than anyone I know short of a pro tuner - hundreds of hours at least under all sorts of conditions. You'd be surprised at how fast the turbo is back up to speed when you crack the throttle back open and the BOV closes. I logged turbo response specifically when folks tried to tell me I had used "too big" an intercooler on my car for the stock turbos and would see "lag". Yes, I logged it with a few other single turbos too As is often the case this turned out to be "common sense" not being true. When you consider the volume of air it takes to pressurize a running engine it's pretty amazing to watch how fast boost recovers on a shift - big IC or not. Even if the BOV returned the piping completely to ambient pressure (I'll bet it doesn't) the turbo moves some serious air and re-pressurizes in the blink of an eye.

BTW if you've ever wondered what it's like to not run a BOV or DV at all listen to a stock or lightly modded Buick GN. When you get off the gas in one of those you get to hear all sorts of noises as the turbo chokes on the bounced airstream. THAT most certainly has to have an effect!

P.S. FWIW I'm not a big fan of whistles, chirps, and other crap done on these things - some Japanese BOV literally had whistles in them! While maybe fun for a couple of shifts it quickly becomes VERY annoying - yes I tuned a car with one of these for over a week. That said blowing to atmo reduces plumbing clutter a GREAT deal. No goofy F-hoses or badly crimped intake tracts and the valve can be placed darn near anywhere without regard to having to get the air to the backside of the MAF through some tortured path. Going blow-thru to get this simplicity is pretty tempting since I happen to be chasing a boost loss issue right now with the DV circuit being a prime suspect!
Your points are very well taken (and expressed). Especially regarding piping and clutter and more places to leak etc. But respectfully I will still stick with my every little bit helps principle.

I am sure my testing was not a thorough as yours, but on the Lotus TT We definately noticed a turbo lag decrease when vented to the turbo inlet. Now all that being said, those 2.5 Garrets were notorious for slow spooling to start with.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:41 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
Your points are very well taken (and expressed). Especially regarding piping and clutter and more places to leak etc. But respectfully I will still stick with my every little bit helps principle.

I am sure my testing was not a thorough as yours, but on the Lotus TT We definately noticed a turbo lag decrease when vented to the turbo inlet. Now all that being said, those 2.5 Garrets were notorious for slow spooling to start with.
How were you testing? Were you datalogging from the ECU or from seat of the pants? Where were you venting - into the turbo inlet itself or someplace else in the piping like on our cars? I do recall, but cannot reference, hearing about the crazy rally teams doing something to vent directly into the turbo inlet and that this helped measurably. That would seem to make sense if there was any velocity to the venting. However vented up at the top of the engine as our's are now I just don't see there being any real chance of improvement. There is some pretty decent amounts of air moved when a BOV pops off but I believe it would dissipate quickly in the intake tract unless directed.

An anecdotal story about BOV... Helped tune a turbo Ford 351+W motor in a drag car on the dyno. Owner had moved from a supercharger to a CHEAP single turbo setup with flipped headers and muffler clamps but the chassis was first class tubbed etc. Anyway, they used a water\air IC with ice in the passenger seat space and had heyuge pipes coming in. They placed the BOV in the passenger compartment pointed towards the driver. First pass it vented FOG right into the driver's face! Smart guy draped a towel over it. 2nd pass he got a towel in the face. (lol) This thing had a sheet metal Hogan's intake that actually swelled when the turbo came on boost and it beaded water from the cool intake temps. Car made 1KRWHP on moderate boost through a powerglide, melted lots of ice. On one pass we checked a plug and someone left the wire off, car ran perfectly but pulled 100HP less and had us freaking looking for the problem. That thing really was pretty sick to work on and made a real impression on me - especially when you saw how the turbo "system" had been built!

Anyway, that intake piping carried MASSIVE amounts of volume and the BOV was as big as my fist and vented air like crazy. Put THAT much air directly into the intake of a turbo and I can see it pushing things along but 3feet away from the turbo and I think air would take the path of least resistance and not be much benefit. I'm open to being swayed and I love to learn and debate but it's going to take some data. IMO manufacturers recirculate for NVH, emissions, and to make air metering easier not for any performance benefit. <shrug>

Old 10-18-2009, 01:51 PM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
BLKMGK:

We did use a data logger but only measured sustained boost (MAP output). The Lotus has a short run between the air filter and the turbo inlets and we fed the valves back to the exit of the filter but not directly into the turbos (About 12" from the turbo inlets). It was actually easy to do as there are 2 filters one left and one right. The air comes in as it does for the intercoolers on the Porshe behind the doors, but instead of going to the intercoolers it goes into the air intakes gets filtered and then goes directly to the turbos. The Lotus V8 TT has no stock intercoolers (Stupid Really).

Honestly, it was not the best installation but it did serve a purpose, and they sounded really obnoxious if left vented to atmosphere.

Here is one of the entries to the airbox plugged for testing.

http://impconcepts.com/espritv8bov/leftairboxreturn.jpg

Here is the left Valve.

http://impconcepts.com/espritv8bov/l...rightvalve.jpg

Again, I understand where you a coming from as a lot of the Air could in fact bleed back through the filter at slower speeds.

The Tube inside the airbox was fed into the Turbo inlet pipes.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Bluprint is infamous around these parts
i currently have a Agency Power BOV and i am planning on installing it, but i want to know which hole to plug or which to put the actual BOV on. the top of the "F" or the middle?

also, if i vent it 50/50 how loud will it be, anyone have experience with the 100% vs 50/50 vent

i also want to know how the Topic Starter got the HKS SSQ on his car. is it the universal BOV or is it a 996tt kit?

Old 10-22-2009, 08:17 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
you can use a HKS ssv BOV in recirc mode ive seen the kits but not for a 996tt

Old 10-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Bluprint is infamous around these parts
i might as well just use the Agency Power one, does anyone have experience with these?