996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Thanks 911tuning aka Markski!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:22 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Powell
Now if you just would have stayed AWD you could be out testing right now J/K bro!!!!
Bro i would be out testing now if they plowed the roads! LOL

Old 12-07-2009, 08:23 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Palette - much drone from the exhaust? I look forward to you finding a place to upload the sound clips

Marksi - I'm surprised that the air filters aren't holding you back at all - have you tested with them pulled to see if there's a difference? If those are good enough for 800 or even 1K HP that's awesome! Certainly blows away the OEM intake setup for sure. Is the MAF difficult to rewire? I need to recover from some bills but by Spring I hope to be doing intercoolers at least and would love to do a MAF swap as well. Replacing the existing crap intake piping is pricey so I might as well consider swapping to a blow-thru MAF I think. Has anyone run meth through one of those and if so were there any issues? I think that would be a concern of mine although at this point I'm not quite ready to run meth on this car, not sure I need it....

Thanks!
Pm me your email i can email them to you

Old 12-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PALETTE
Bro i would be out testing now if they plowed the roads! LOL
Pshhh it snowed here Friday for like uhmmmm... 30 minutes (which is a VERY rare occasion in Houston because its back at 65* today)... But thats beside the point! Grow a pair and get out there!!!!! J/K! Hope the weather clears up some for you guys up North!!!

Old 12-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Powell
Pshhh it snowed here Friday for like uhmmmm... 30 minutes (which is a VERY rare occasion in Houston because its back at 65* today)... But thats beside the point! Grow a pair and get out there!!!!! J/K! Hope the weather clears up some for you guys up North!!!

HAHAHA!!!

houston.... snow... What did someone drop coke out of a plane??? J/K DR J might get excited

Old 12-07-2009, 09:00 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Ugh Chris we are getting hammered with crappy weather up here , sat we got 4 in out of the blue

Old 12-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by unvmy996
Ugh Chris we are getting hammered with crappy weather up here , sat we got 4 in out of the blue
Ouch man! Yeah we had a freak "snow flurry" that shut down Houston. Justin and I were rolling home in the 28* weather tuning the Porsche a little bit. No ice or snow for us luckly!

Old 12-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
We got a foot last week. Now it's -25'

Old 12-07-2009, 10:07 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
Skip the meth for now.. but yes it has been done...
as far as the filters on or off we seen 30rwhp at 800 to 1000 rwhp set up... but thats not because the filter is not blocking the ICs... thats because the filters are off... do that to a Evo( I did) a supra etc etc and you will gain the same thing... if not more...
this set up has been proven for 5+years.. its not new... we optimize the the air massage... before and after the turbo by going minimum 2.5" on piping.. all hard piping...
here is another example...
For some reason 30WHP sounds significant although I guess at 800HP not so much I did try pulling my filter on my Supra but I cannot recall that there were huge gains or really very much in the way of gains - it's been a long time. The filter on that car was also as long as I could fit and as big around as I could manage - it was on a 4inch diameter pipe in an insulated box I built. I recognized how important a big filter was and mine was heyuge and crammed in there lol.

If you use the larger filters from the 1K setup on a car making say 800 do you see less of a gain removing them? I'm just wondering if a larger filter would be less of a restriction. I know that the suction side is pretty sensitive to any restriction so the difference might not be worth it, especially if there's a fitment issue. I appreciate the additional pics, the pics of the Y-pipe in particular. I have a dyno sheet for my car RWD showing a hair over 600RWHP but have not dyno'd myself and the car is back to AWD - it's tuned for 1.2BAR - larger injectors onboard but no additional pumps. I need to put in a W/B one of these days but see no good place to mount the display! Inlet piping and intercoolers are highest on my list although a droneless exhaust might trump all of that! Turbos and exhaust have been done on my car, headers and DVs as well blah blah. Just looking to make things more efficient primarily and if I'm in there doing ICs then intake pipes make sense which means MAF - it sort of snowballs I will ASSume a retune for the MAF, Tony has his tune on my car from the previous owner. Judging from some other posts I wonder if I might not begin to run out of pump if I freed the intake too much May I ask why you feel I should skip meth? My reasons are that I simply don't want the hassle right now but I'm curious. I've run it before, it helped, but I was also in a position to tune for it myself and am not on this car.

unvmy996 - thanks for that on the rewiring. If it's a simple snip and extend or rewire then awesome, that's cake. Running wires to the ECU less awesome as I've not had any panels apart and would be learning all of the screws and widgets to pull it apart from scratch. Clean install though and freeing up various restrictions is a bit of a peeve of mine - and why the Supra ran such a big filter. I cannot swing it right now but this is looking like a damned smart way to go vs trying to swap OEM intake pipes for something like it. So long as driveability remains stock feeling with no glitches then a blow thru sounds damned good to me!

Old 12-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I experimented with 3 different filters...
my point was and still is is that the filter in that position does not do harm to the cooling ... we actually make a cavity with my ICs by making side plates to trap the air... I seen some turners use small filters and some bigger ones... all run big numbers... honesty look at the 18 inches the air needs to travel and then its in the turbo... vs the long maze like path it goes thru in the stock config.
It works well. its not for everyone.. nor am I saying that its superior...
mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 12-08-2009, 10:19 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
I experimented with 3 different filters...
my point was and still is is that the filter in that position does not do harm to the cooling ... we actually make a cavity with my ICs by making side plates to trap the air... I seen some turners use small filters and some bigger ones... all run big numbers... honesty look at the 18 inches the air needs to travel and then its in the turbo... vs the long maze like path it goes thru in the stock config.
It works well. its not for everyone.. nor am I saying that its superior...
mark
Gotcha' and no I didn't think cooling would be impacted although removing ducting would give me some pause if this were a track car. Absolutely this is lightyears ahead of the maze of tubing the OEM car uses, the increase in airflow has GOT to be huge! I wonder if there's any ram effect to the intakes Good stuff, when I get my budget for the new year figured out something like this is on the list for sure. Intercoolers, intake, MAF. Then hope I'm not out of pump! Thanks!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I have the 2nd pump figured out to a T... I even have a custom Cnced fitting so its a 5 minute job...

here is my current set up... those fiters are from Italy and we did back to back dynos and it did not loose any HP.. but they cost me $300/unit.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 12-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Ah, I like what you did with the pump! Running them serial it looks like? I have injectors already so the pump alone would be perfect. Sounds like the way to go especially if it's as straightforward as minutes! As for the air filters, I wonder what was so different about them that they flowed so well. They look bigger around which would certainly help - I assume they had filter on the nose rather than a flat top or cap? Hrm, how far is Chicago from VA? ;-) You're a bad bad man tempting me this way! I've been talking to your customer with the new exhaust too - it sounds pretty nice and he's not having drone issues, me likes!

Old 12-09-2009, 06:48 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Not that far LOL. will make for a good road trip.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:16 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Marek
Fantastic looking stuff you have created....
Congrats
R

Old 12-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Ah, I like what you did with the pump! Running them serial it looks like? I have injectors already so the pump alone would be perfect. Sounds like the way to go especially if it's as straightforward as minutes! As for the air filters, I wonder what was so different about them that they flowed so well. They look bigger around which would certainly help - I assume they had filter on the nose rather than a flat top or cap? Hrm, how far is Chicago from VA? ;-) You're a bad bad man tempting me this way! I've been talking to your customer with the new exhaust too - it sounds pretty nice and he's not having drone issues, me likes!
Anytime i can help. If i could post those Sound clips i am sure they would sound better on the PC speakers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thanks 911tuning aka Markski!