996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Blew my motor! :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhuang25
Yeah, sucks so bad bro. No cels at all, the car has been running flawlessly. I purchased the Greddy Profec II from Vivid actually. I was hitting like 1.35 bars of boost on 91 + meth on both my recent races as well as on the dyno. AFR's were in the low 12's... but in this situation, I couldn't have possibly hit more than .8 bars based on my rpm and gear. I wasn't close to redline, it was a routine getting on the freeway type of situation.
did you get the meth kit from protomotive and was it tuned for it?
sorry to hear about it..
mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-26-2009, 03:06 PM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It's something noone ever wants to happen. I think Art and Betim will steer you in the right direction. Art and I spoke about optimal power levels etc and he has pretty good perspective on the different power levels.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I am very very sorry about your loss. I agree that something must have been seriously wrong, like an oil pump.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Oh man. This is the worst case scenario. Makes you think twice about wanting to push the envelope.

So sorry to hear.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:17 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by topgun
According to some experts...this shouldn't happen! I feel your pain . You need to open her up see whats damaged & take it from there. A must is rods & oil pump. the rest is optional. The damage to the motor didn't have to happen that particular day, it could of been accumulative over time. I'm sure BBI will take care of you.You might want to weigh your options on the rest maybe head work, cams, crank it all depends on what you want & your budget...Good luck. This is sad to hear...
Thanks dude. I was obviously hoping at my power level of 550 to the wheels, that I would be safe for awhile, but then again, how can you know or prevent the oil pump from going when it decides to go? We'll definitely have some answers when we open her up. Honestly, I was really ok with that power level I was at, unfortunately, this really opens up a can of worms in terms of how much more power I'm going to want.

Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
did you get the meth kit from protomotive and was it tuned for it?
sorry to hear about it..
mark
Hey Mark,

Proto did not supply the meth kit... but Todd was on hand when we were on the dyno at BBi, and looked at everything closely and specifically told me that he didn't see a need to change anything to my file after we added meth. He was datalogging the dyno pulls on site... so I did assume that everything was looking ok.

Originally Posted by bmoores
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It's something noone ever wants to happen. I think Art and Betim will steer you in the right direction. Art and I spoke about optimal power levels etc and he has pretty good perspective on the different power levels.
Thanks Ben! quote from Betim this morning, "your next engine will be bullet proof". haha.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:22 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
I am very very sorry about your loss. I agree that something must have been seriously wrong, like an oil pump.

Originally Posted by ari
Oh man. This is the worst case scenario. Makes you think twice about wanting to push the envelope.

So sorry to hear.
Thanks guys. It's funny because I tried to do everything right with this build, going with a well respected tuner, adding meth and was at a very conservative power level for a stock motor(550 rwhp)... but in the end, it might've been something like an oil pump busted on me and everything is up in smokes.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:29 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Dude, I came down all the way from Cali and you did not even come down to say hello?? How the heck is your shoulder now?

Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu

Old 10-26-2009, 03:30 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
J , im willing to bet that your oil pump took a ****. especilay since you said you heard metal grinding them bam...

that sux, sorry to hear. now you just a slight motot build, and unless your going for BIG power keep it simple, rods gasket , headstuds , and call it a day.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:34 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear this. I'm not sure I am reading your datalog correct but did it say 36 degrees timimg advance at 7k rpm? I know zip about meth tuning but I know you have 10 degrees minimum on my tune, maybe more. Good luck in the future and once again sorry. Kevin

Old 10-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
Sorry to hear this. I'm not sure I am reading your datalog correct but did it say 36 degrees timimg advance at 7k rpm? I know zip about meth tuning but I know you have 10 degrees minimum on my tune, maybe more. Good luck in the future and once again sorry. Kevin
I didnt want to be the first the mention it....
Your about 6-14 degree hotter on timing then I am on 93+ meth. c16 doesnt even need as much timing as you have in some spots.

Are you running 100% meth or 50/50. Would be interesting to see the piston tops or plugs...

Last edited by Tony@epl; 10-26-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:39 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
How much racing do you do? How much dyno time did you have? Do you always run up to 7300-7500? I was just reviewing you timing logs and happen to notice that you seem to have a LOT of timing up top for only 91, even with Meth. I run 93oct and 100% Meth and my timing is not that aggressive. I only ask, as this could promote some bearing wear and possibly other things? I realize that you were just cruising onto the highway, but the damage could have already been done. Also, do NOT mistake this as stab at yur or ANY tuner, this could be learning curve for all of us that have meth and think we are safe, if in fact it turns out, that your oil pump is fine.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by unvmym3
J , im willing to bet that your oil pump took a ****. especilay since you said you heard metal grinding them bam...

that sux, sorry to hear. now you just a slight motot build, and unless your going for BIG power keep it simple, rods gasket , headstuds , and call it a day.
Thanks bro... if i do the build, I will definitely keep it simple.

Originally Posted by KPG
Sorry, that's ignition angle you are looking at. The timing was like high 13's to low 14's in the high rpm range.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear about your loss man

Ignition Angle refers to the amount of timing. 13s/14s would be 6-7* below what you should run on pump gas as far as timing goes. Now maybe A/Fs would be in the 13s/14s, but even then that's ENTIRELY to lean for a FI car.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
I didnt want to be the first the mention it....
Your about 6-14 degree hotter on timing that I am on 93+ meth. c16 doesnt even need as much timing as you have in some spots.

Are you running 100% meth or 50/50. Would be interesting to see the piston tops or plugs...
To be honest with you, I have no idea what timing I should be at... but we are running 100% meth.

Originally Posted by ttboost
How much racing do you do? How much dyno time did you have? Do you always run up to 7300-7500? I was just reviewing you timing logs and happen to notice that you seem to have a LOT of timing up top for only 91, even with Meth. I run 93oct and 100% Meth and my timing is not that aggressive. I only ask, as this could promote some bearing wear and possibly other things? I realize that you were just cruising onto the highway, but the damage could have already been done. Also, do NOT mistake this as stab at yur or ANY tuner, this could be learning curve for all of us that have meth and think we are safe, if in fact it turns out, that your oil pump is fine.
My car has 39K miles... and I don't commute in it very much. Most of the miles have been driven pretty hard whether it's our early am runs, or on the track. I definitely don't want this thread to be about tuner bashing... I went with Proto because they are generally well respected and many guys local to me have used their tune with great results. EPL was on the top of the list as well but there just weren't any EPL cars around here that I could see up close... Todd looked at the data I posted, and said to me "i don't see anything that needs to be changed", and since I'm not a tuner, nor do I know how to analyze all the data, it's hard for me to argue that.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Sorry, that's ignition angle you are looking at. The timing was like high 13's to low 14's in the high rpm range.
Look a column back to the left.

Last edited by Tony@epl; 10-26-2009 at 03:59 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blew my motor! :(