996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Blew my motor! :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:07 PM
sc_trojan has a spectacular aura aboutsc_trojan has a spectacular aura about
sorry to hear about this. I am sure this is a nightmare for you since you just recently put your car together. It sounds like you did your homework and went through a good shop and reputable tuner. Your mods seem somewhat conservative and this happens- damn. Funny thing is that I am going down a similar path. I am sure everyone here would like to learn from your experience.

question to anyone that knows more than I do- if you had a secondary oil pump would it have helped? if so, would the secondary pump need to be parallel or series?

good luck and keep us posted.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:15 PM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Suncoast had reman'd X50 motors for 18 grand a couple weeks back. Warranty and NO core charge!

sorry to hear it bro.....

Old 10-26-2009, 07:27 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Damn bro this really sucks... hate reading this.

I just had meth injection installed this weekend too.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:28 PM
bone_doc s4 has a spectacular aura aboutbone_doc s4 has a spectacular aura about
sorry about that J, hope you get it sorted out smoothly...

Old 10-26-2009, 07:32 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Based on what you described your oil pump quit, the rods starved for oil and a rod let go. That is the only way you could have cracked your case along with having oil pump bearing material in your oil.

It sounds like there won't be much left to salvage.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:44 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
I know how it gets when things go wrong bro. I've been through this road as well. I had problems with my heads before too and don't want to go there, Mike can tell you. Be positive and wish you nothing but the best.

Originally Posted by jhuang25
I agree Art. Of course, there are so many things that could've gone wrong, but as I stated earlier, I do not believe the tune nor the install were the reasons why this came about.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:45 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bone_doc s4
sorry about that J, hope you get it sorted out smoothly...
Thanks bro. hope to be back out there running with you guys again soon.

Originally Posted by cjv
Based on what you described your oil pump quit, the rods starved for oil and a rod let go. That is the only way you could have cracked your case along with having oil pump bearing material in your oil.

CJV, thanks for the input. That's what the theory is right now based on what we've seen. Is the oil pump failure common? Any way to check it out before it goes like this?

Old 10-26-2009, 07:50 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
man total bummer!! been there a couple of times myself... pm me i have a couple of tips for you...

Old 10-26-2009, 08:16 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv

Definitely nothing to salvage... the pump could of failed because it got metal stuck in it after something let go...Just a thought, either way not good.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:19 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
I hate to hear that. I don't think it had anything to do with your tune. I believe that it was a mechanical failure most likely due to a failure of your oil pump. Until you do the "autopsy" you won't know for sure but I think Betim has a very good idea as to what went wrong.
Since you asked for our input, if I were to ever build an engine I wouldn't go much past rods, headstuds and maaaybe a light porting of the heads. Anything after that can get extremely expensive.
Again, I'm really sorry to hear about your engine.

Last edited by ReeknHavic; 10-26-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:24 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhuang25
Thanks bro. hope to be back out there running with you guys again soon.

CJV, thanks for the input. That's what the theory is right now based on what we've seen. Is the oil pump failure common? Any way to check it out before it goes like this?
My personal opinion is your problems started and compounded when you were dyno testing above 7100 rpm's. Attaining 7549 rpm's was punishing the stock crank, rods, bearings, liners (via liner oilers) and oil pump well beyond the danger zone. I know, I did it. Funny thing was we made the most power at 7500 rpm's.

The other thing that could have happened is you bent a rod so badly that it clipped the crank counter weight, broke and then destroyed the case.

Last edited by cjv; 10-26-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:29 PM
legendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud of
Sorry to hear the terrible news...hopefully you get everything built back

Old 10-26-2009, 08:33 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I will point out one thing... on ure meth it is possible to contaminate the oil with methanol. When this occurs bad things happen. I used to run water\meth on my Supra and eventually nearly pure meth - I used a top end lube in order to help prevent this. Klotz is what I used if memory serves and some methanol suppliers have it premixed.

Anyway, it might be worth checking into with an oil analysis. If you were using methanol for a significant portion of your fueling and NOT just for some octane boost and cooling then this is a real possibility and would appear to be an oil failure...

Methanol likes timing, it is oxygen bearing too. In my experience it makes great power pig rich but this also means you have to watch how much gets into the oil. Ask any racer who runs it full time, methanol can be hard on components. If this car had no fuel system and was on **** water 91 then how much meth it was running MIGHT be a factor. Something to consider for sure especially if the oil in the car was already light weight. Cannot say this did it for sure and it wouldn't change the outcome either but perhaps something others should ponder. FWIW, I wouldn't hesitate a second to run methanol again, on the Supra I was actually planning on using it or race gas in a second tank with a separate fuel system for serious fun on the street :-)

Old 10-26-2009, 08:50 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
+1 or 6 broke and took out the oil pump
Originally Posted by cjv
My personal opinion is your problems started and compounded when you were dyno testing above 7100 rpm's. Attaining 7549 rpm's was punishing the stock crank, rods, bearings, liners (via liner oilers) and oil pump well beyond the danger zone. I know, I did it. Funny thing was we made the most power at 7500 rpm's.

The other thing that could have happened is you bent a rod so badly that it clipped the crank counter weight, broke and then destroyed the case.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:14 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
I will point out one thing... on ure meth it is possible to contaminate the oil with methanol. When this occurs bad things happen. I used to run water\meth on my Supra and eventually nearly pure meth - I used a top end lube in order to help prevent this. Klotz is what I used if memory serves and some methanol suppliers have it premixed.

Anyway, it might be worth checking into with an oil analysis. If you were using methanol for a significant portion of your fueling and NOT just for some octane boost and cooling then this is a real possibility and would appear to be an oil failure...

Methanol likes timing, it is oxygen bearing too. In my experience it makes great power pig rich but this also means you have to watch how much gets into the oil. Ask any racer who runs it full time, methanol can be hard on components. If this car had no fuel system and was on **** water 91 then how much meth it was running MIGHT be a factor. Something to consider for sure especially if the oil in the car was already light weight. Cannot say this did it for sure and it wouldn't change the outcome either but perhaps something others should ponder. FWIW, I wouldn't hesitate a second to run methanol again, on the Supra I was actually planning on using it or race gas in a second tank with a separate fuel system for serious fun on the street :-)

thats really interesting information, never heard of this before but I will bring it up to Betim tomorrow and see. I'm running 100% meth, and we were talking about possibly installing a larger nozzle later for MORE meth. Anyone else ever heard of this issue before?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blew my motor! :(