996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Blew my motor! :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:04 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
It's funny how this all turned against meth. Used correctly, as I clearly stated before, it works! My car ran well over a year using it every single time I took it out. I mixed water and meth, then mostly meth, then almost all meth... no issues. I went through many many 5 gallon jerry cans of it. Race gas here doesn't come in a can, it comes out of a drum. you never know how old that drum is, you never know if it's gotten water into it, and it cost WAY more than pump. Certainly I made more power on real race gas but I also made a good bit more on methanol. So far I've not heard any solid reason not to run meth if you properly set it up, instead it's all superstition about "that stuff". It's a fuel with different properties, run it correctly and you're fine. Heck I even knew guys that were mixing Nitro meant for RC cars into their meth tanks without problems. Thing is they understood what they were doing and were cautious. Propane is another interesting fuel, so is E85 which I'd run for sure if it were available to me in quantity. Stop the knee jerk at the unknown and educate yourself...

Old 10-27-2009, 07:04 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dan@SharkWerks
May as well also do these while you're there:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=251
+1 for the sharkster

Old 10-27-2009, 07:27 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
It's funny how this all turned against meth. Used correctly, as I clearly stated before, it works! My car ran well over a year using it every single time I took it out. I mixed water and meth, then mostly meth, then almost all meth... no issues. I went through many many 5 gallon jerry cans of it. Race gas here doesn't come in a can, it comes out of a drum. you never know how old that drum is, you never know if it's gotten water into it, and it cost WAY more than pump. Certainly I made more power on real race gas but I also made a good bit more on methanol. So far I've not heard any solid reason not to run meth if you properly set it up, instead it's all superstition about "that stuff". It's a fuel with different properties, run it correctly and you're fine. Heck I even knew guys that were mixing Nitro meant for RC cars into their meth tanks without problems. Thing is they understood what they were doing and were cautious. Propane is another interesting fuel, so is E85 which I'd run for sure if it were available to me in quantity. Stop the knee jerk at the unknown and educate yourself...
You bring up valid points, let me make a couple more. I used meth in three of my cars. one problem is when you use the meth not for its cooling charge ability but as additional fuel (100 %) injected. When this is done you tend to get more aggressive on your tune hence adding more timing and boost. Then when lets just say the pump fails at 7k Rpm your 20K motor is toast. Or Your un built motor cant handle the stress you put on it, or the meth travels through the intake but only reaches SOME of your cylinders I only used a mix of 50-50 mix water/meth with a less aggressive tune . !00 % meth will make more power but at a high risk. the mix will give you the cooling while preventing detonation.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
I don't think it's turned against meth. I think that the workings of these engines is not understood by those designing mist systems for them sometimes. Explain how your meth system was plumbed and what vehicle you used it in?

Old 10-27-2009, 08:00 PM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Prche951
I don't think it's turned against meth. I think that the workings of these engines is not understood by those designing mist systems for them sometimes. Explain how your meth system was plumbed and what vehicle you used it in?
are you saying the 996 motor is different from other motors people use meth injection kits on?

Old 10-27-2009, 08:00 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
There are plenty of threads about Meth. Meth was not the enemy here...

Old 10-27-2009, 08:24 PM
007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of
I have to say at this point there are far too many factors to determine the cause of failer without opening the motor and seeing what really happened. Meth may have been a factor if he is supplimenting a substantial part of his fueling with it also it can be the fact that he was running a 7500 rpm redline on an unbuilt motor or may just been an inherent failer from a faulty oem part. We all have to wait and see what happened.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by audikp
are you saying the 996 motor is different from other motors people use meth injection kits on?

nope, I am saying that the intake system is. is it a wet intake or dry intake

Old 10-27-2009, 09:20 PM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
There is such a thing as wear and tear, stock or not. Engines don’t last forever. Who knows your engine could have had a slight flaw from the factory. Some can go to 600-700 with stock internals for many miles, some blow up stock motors on cars that were well looked after and never even pushed. Its good to look ahead at costs of a major issue such as this when you’re buying or own a high-end car. The thing that sucks is the value of the car vs. the cost of parts and repairs. Your car wouldn’t be the first 996tt sold without a running engine believe me! Speculating over what happed is rhetorical and dumb at this point imo. You either open up the engine and ecu to find out the real story or don’t. It’s starting to sound like a bad bar room conversation in here. I’m guessing some of you know which way the stock market is going too, maybe who will win the World Series?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:26 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
nope, I am saying that the intake system is. is it a wet intake or dry intake
Oh geez, here we go. I sprayed it into an intake meant for dry too. It was a Supra and I was spraying a single nozzle 6 inches down from the TB. This is fine until you try to flow too much and use it for supplemental fuel and not just some octane boost and cooling. I watched my knock sensors, I checked my clean shiny plugs, my motor was plenty happy. <shrug>

As stated above - we don't know what killed this motor. But every time someone says meth the drums begin to bang and people say don't run it. The RPM or possibly the timing could both have had something to do with this failure, maybe even the oil getting polluted from too much meth. No way to know just yet.

Personally if I can get my stupid boost issue resolved I am pondering running meth on my current car. We'll see, since *I* won't be able to tune it then it might be pointless.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:48 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kevin
flash68, the question you ask is a Catch 22... The question is "IF" you catch the rod failure. If the rod breaks, the rod will saw the engine case apart. It will tear up the internal webbing and knock out the intermediate shaft and oil pump. 9 of 12 individuals that I know of in the last 2 years (engine failures)it WAS cheaper to buy a used engine or Porsche crate engine. Call your local Porsche dealer and ask them what the cost for a new engine case> todays current price is $5401.72 Then price out a oil pump and intermediate shaft. These costs will make you sick.

There are very few used engine cases around. Most of the used engines that are available have come from wrecked cars >buyer beware.

flash68, if you can hear the rod knocking and shut the engine down, you can save alot of monies. Most likely the crankshaft can be repaired. It is very good practice to remove and replacing your oil filter sooner than changing your oil, and inspecting each pleat for metal. Metal stuck in the pleats will be one of the first signs of possible bearing damage.
Kevin, thank you for addressing my questions.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:27 PM
GT640 is infamous around these parts
Feesh. You know how sorry I am for your loss. Slam the Audi...

Old 10-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Oh geez, here we go. I sprayed it into an intake meant for dry too. It was a Supra and I was spraying a single nozzle 6 inches down from the TB. This is fine until you try to flow too much and use it for supplemental fuel and not just some octane boost and cooling. I watched my knock sensors, I checked my clean shiny plugs, my motor was plenty happy. <shrug>

As stated above - we don't know what killed this motor. But every time someone says meth the drums begin to bang and people say don't run it. The RPM or possibly the timing could both have had something to do with this failure, maybe even the oil getting polluted from too much meth. No way to know just yet.

Personally if I can get my stupid boost issue resolved I am pondering running meth on my current car. We'll see, since *I* won't be able to tune it then it might be pointless.
well first, I am not saying that meth killed this engine, cause of death remains to be seen. OP himself stated that proto did not change their tune for the added water/meth, so the tune was never changed, so advanced timing on 91 octane seems a little nuts here doesn't it?

These cars have a 90 degree plenum, it is a big air chamber with no direction of feed to any cylinder. This big chamber receives air and directs it to all cylinders. The fluid mechanics of this system is designed for the density of air, not water/meth. If you inject water/meth into this chamber you are gambling on which cyliner gets what. You cannot tell in any way what cylinders will get most of the meth or none of it or some. The plenum is not directional and there are no individual runners to each cylinder. If you installed six injectors, one near each cylinder this would help, but this is not how it's done to my knowledge. This intake was not designed to spread a water/meth mix. You would need a wideband at every cylinder to really know. So based on this, I would like to know how you can guaranty that each cylinder gets meth equally?

as for OP's car, timing is way advanced at high rpms, and 7500 rpms is way to high, we do know that much.

Originally Posted by 19000rpm
There is such a thing as wear and tear, stock or not. Engines don’t last forever. Who knows your engine could have had a slight flaw from the factory. Some can go to 600-700 with stock internals for many miles, some blow up stock motors on cars that were well looked after and never even pushed. Its good to look ahead at costs of a major issue such as this when you’re buying or own a high-end car. The thing that sucks is the value of the car vs. the cost of parts and repairs. Your car wouldn’t be the first 996tt sold without a running engine believe me! Speculating over what happed is rhetorical and dumb at this point imo. You either open up the engine and ecu to find out the real story or don’t.
I think a flaw is always a possibility. However, there are many dead motors on this forum, that haven't gotten air time. It would be nice to know what killed them. But people don't talk. If someone runs a race file and uses pump gas, well, shame on them and we know what happened. On the other hand if a tuner provides a race file by mistake and indicates it is a pump file, well shame on him and we also know what happened and we learn. Speculating is all we have when the answers get shoved under the rug.

I do know that I do not want to be in OP's position and hence I do want to know what is going on so I know what to do or not to do to my car.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:54 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kevin
f It is very good practice to remove and replacing your oil filter sooner than changing your oil, and inspecting each pleat for metal. Metal stuck in the pleats will be one of the first signs of possible bearing damage.

For $30 and 3 oz of oil you can get regular used oil analyses and track all kind of wear metals, oil conditon, etc, etc.

This can only detect issues that develop slowly, but I suspect there are a good many catastrophic failures that begin as compromised oiling with telltale signatures along the way...

Old 10-27-2009, 11:12 PM
007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ard
For $30 and 3 oz of oil you can get regular used oil analyses and track all kind of wear metals, oil conditon, etc, etc.

This can only detect issues that develop slowly, but I suspect there are a good many catastrophic failures that begin as compromised oiling with telltale signatures along the way...
Where would this test be done?

I'm just curious what type of oils do you guys run? I have been using the royal purple 0w40. Do any of you run any additives with your oils like lucus oil stabilizer?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blew my motor! :(