996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Blew my motor! :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 01:46 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
Blew my motor! :(

On the way to Ca. Speedway on Sun to run the POC event, i blew my motor! I'm still trying to assess the damage, but here is how it happened. I have a lot of things to figure out before I make a decision... any advice, similar experiences shared would be greatly appreciated.

I was getting on the freeway, 3rd gear, maybe 4500 rpm and I heard some metal grinding noises... (it sounded like my tranny, or at least felt like that), and I can feel the car lose compression so I thought maybe it popped out of gear, but immediately after, lots of flashing lights turned on in my dash, one of which read low oil. I looked in my rear view mirror, and saw a ton of smoke, so pulled over on the side of the freeway and shut her down. When I stepped out of the car, I can see lots of oil dripping and knew it was bad. My car was maybe hitting .6 to .8 bars max at that speed and in that gear. I wasn't pushing her hard in anyway...literally, just accelerating onto the freeway. I was shocked because I wasn't even pushing the car very hard... called AAA, got her towed.

This morning, had the oil drained out, and can see bearings from the oil pump drain to the bottom. Lots of little metal parts coming out as well. Talked to Betim this morning and we're thinking maybe oil pump failure led to damaging the rods... there's a pretty nice crack on the casing as well... so we assume that there's definitely some significant damage inside. We'll probably get her opened up sometime this week to see exactly what happened.

I have a few choices, and would like some input from guys who have done motor builds. This will be my first time if I proceed with a build. Rods, studs, upgrade the oil pump... anything else recommended at this time? Yesterday, I wanted to dump this b*tch in the ocean, but now that I'm a bit calmer, I want to make a good decision in terms of what to do with her. I may explore options of selling the vehicle without the motor... but would have to find a buyer looking to do a motor build as well... so that's a long shot. I don't believe at this time this has anything to do with my Proto tune, as the car wasn't even pushed...I raced her last weekend with no issues, we did multiple dyno pulls as well. It would seem to make sense that maybe the oil pump failure led to things getting much worse. Anyways... HELP!

Old 10-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Platinum Sponsor
WHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond repute
WOW that sucks!! BUILD it for more power keep us posted..

1.866.519.4335 ext 2103
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: Jonathan@wheelsboutique.com

#1 HRE Dealer Worldwide / DPE Wheels / Vertini / Work Wheels / D2 Forged / TechArt / Novitec / Brabus / Carlsson / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Kooks / Corsa / RENNTech / WALD / Milltek / Tubi / Champion Motorsports / AWE / RSS / BBS / Brembo / Hamman / Eisenmann / KW / H&R / Nitto / Pirelli / Michelin / Dunlop / Goodyear / Falken / Continental and tons more....
Old 10-26-2009, 01:53 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
That totally sucks. Did you get any other CEL's prior to the failure? Any warning signs at all? What has been your max boost lately? Are you using a Greddy EBC?

Old 10-26-2009, 01:57 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
Yeah, sucks so bad bro. No cels at all, the car has been running flawlessly. I purchased the Greddy Profec II from Vivid actually. I was hitting like 1.35 bars of boost on 91 + meth on both my recent races as well as on the dyno. AFR's were in the low 12's... but in this situation, I couldn't have possibly hit more than .8 bars based on my rpm and gear. I wasn't close to redline, it was a routine getting on the freeway type of situation.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhuang25
Yeah, sucks so bad bro. No cels at all, the car has been running flawlessly. I purchased the Greddy Profec II from Vivid actually. I was hitting like 1.35 bars of boost on 91 + meth on both my recent races as well as on the dyno. AFR's were in the low 12's... but in this situation, I couldn't have possibly hit more than .8 bars based on my rpm and gear. I wasn't close to redline, it was a routine getting on the freeway type of situation.
Any idea what kind of ignition timing you were running on 91 + meth @ 1.35?

Old 10-26-2009, 02:02 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
I was looking for some turbos on ebay and here's what I came across the other day.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fAccessories

Old 10-26-2009, 02:10 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Sorry to hear man...=(

Old 10-26-2009, 02:12 PM
anyone ever hear of a car throwing a rod when the cars not even being pushed hard? i mean, in my situation, i wasn't putting the car under any real load...

Old 10-26-2009, 02:34 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
anyone ever hear of a car throwing a rod when the cars not even being pushed hard? i mean, in my situation, i wasn't putting the car under any real load...
It could have very well been oil pump failure related. Once the pump stops pumping, it's just seconds of any RPM for the bearings to immediately turn to dust. How long until you die when your heart stops pumping? Sorry to hear bro...

Old 10-26-2009, 02:36 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Sure does happen. Hard driving then latter, boom. Sorry to hear the news. I was all ready to meet up on Sat.

Last edited by robertp; 10-26-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:43 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Dude so sorry to hear and glad you did not dump her in the Ocean I would have kicked you a$$ for that one. I guess your car is going for a light B9R upgrade now. Good luck J and hang in there, it will be good at the end. Be happy you didn't blow a tire at 200+

Old 10-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I'm really sorry to hear the news. Good luck to you with your build plans going forward.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by robertp
Sure does happen. Hard driving then latter, boom. Sorry to hear the news. I was all ready to meet up on Sat.
Yeah... definitely could've been just years of abuse... i did drive the car the way it was meant to be driven, haha. Such a bummer i never even got to do the 60-130 numbers before this happened.

Originally Posted by art4iza
Dude so sorry to hear and glad you did not dump her in the Ocean I would have kicked you a$$ for that one. I guess your car is going for a light B9R upgrade now. Good luck J and hang in there, it will be good at the end. Be happy you didn't blow a tire at 200+
Thanks Art, looks like I may be headed in that direction. I knew eventually I would probably head down that road, but this is much sooner than I expected. I think I'll be picking your brain in the near future!

Old 10-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by ttboost
It could have very well been oil pump failure related. Once the pump stops pumping, it's just seconds of any RPM for the bearings to immediately turn to dust. How long until you die when your heart stops pumping? Sorry to hear bro...
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
I'm really sorry to hear the news. Good luck to you with your build plans going forward.
Thanks guys.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:03 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
On the way to Ca. Speedway on Sun to run the POC event, i blew my motor! I'm still trying to assess the damage, but here is how it happened. I have a lot of things to figure out before I make a decision... any advice, similar experiences shared would be greatly appreciated.

I was getting on the freeway, 3rd gear, maybe 4500 rpm and I heard some metal grinding noises... (it sounded like my tranny, or at least felt like that), and I can feel the car lose compression so I thought maybe it popped out of gear, but immediately after, lots of flashing lights turned on in my dash, one of which read low oil. I looked in my rear view mirror, and saw a ton of smoke, so pulled over on the side of the freeway and shut her down. When I stepped out of the car, I can see lots of oil dripping and knew it was bad. My car was maybe hitting .6 to .8 bars max at that speed and in that gear. I wasn't pushing her hard in anyway...literally, just accelerating onto the freeway. I was shocked because I wasn't even pushing the car very hard... called AAA, got her towed.

This morning, had the oil drained out, and can see bearings from the oil pump drain to the bottom. Lots of little metal parts coming out as well. Talked to Betim this morning and we're thinking maybe oil pump failure led to damaging the rods... there's a pretty nice crack on the casing as well... so we assume that there's definitely some significant damage inside. We'll probably get her opened up sometime this week to see exactly what happened.

I have a few choices, and would like some input from guys who have done motor builds. This will be my first time if I proceed with a build. Rods, studs, upgrade the oil pump... anything else recommended at this time? Yesterday, I wanted to dump this b*tch in the ocean, but now that I'm a bit calmer, I want to make a good decision in terms of what to do with her. I may explore options of selling the vehicle without the motor... but would have to find a buyer looking to do a motor build as well... so that's a long shot. I don't believe at this time this has anything to do with my Proto tune, as the car wasn't even pushed...I raced her last weekend with no issues, we did multiple dyno pulls as well. It would seem to make sense that maybe the oil pump failure led to things getting much worse. Anyways... HELP!

According to some experts...this shouldn't happen! I feel your pain . You need to open her up see whats damaged & take it from there. A must is rods & oil pump. the rest is optional. The damage to the motor didn't have to happen that particular day, it could of been accumulative over time. I'm sure BBI will take care of you.You might want to weigh your options on the rest maybe head work, cams, crank it all depends on what you want & your budget...Good luck. This is sad to hear...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blew my motor! :(