996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Is CPO worth $4k

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:44 PM
PeterK is infamous around these parts
Is CPO worth $4k

I'm considering an 02 TT car. The car is currently under CPO warranty until sping. The dealer offered to renew the CPO for $4K, which would give me 2 years from the time of purchase and I'll forfeit the remaining warranty from the current CPO. Alternativly I can get fidelity platinum extended warranty for 4years for $2.5K, which will start after the cpo expires.

What say you? Is the CPO worth that much?

Last edited by PeterK; 10-28-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:12 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Depends upon the price/miles of that exact vehicle and if what you plan to do with it
will void the warranty or not. Good luck !

Old 10-28-2009, 03:21 PM
AdamW81 is infamous around these partsAdamW81 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PeterK
I'm considering an 02 TT car. The car is currently under CPO warranty until sping. The dealer offered to renew the CPO for $4K, which would give me 2 years from the time of purchase and I'll forfeit the remaining warranty from the current CPO. Alternativly I can get fidelity platinum extended warranty for 4years for $2.5K, which will start after the cpo expires.

I would just wait and get the fidelity when the current CPO expires. You have the piece of mind with the CPO that if there is any issue you missed before buying you'll find it before spring, plus when you get the mod bug that voids your warranty anyway you only have to wait until spring to get started

Old 10-28-2009, 03:22 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
How many miles on the car currently?

The Dealer CPO will cost (them and you) $2K but they may need to add $2K more to get it to CPO specs (tires, etc) are the most obvious things. Ask them if they need to do anything to the car to get it to the CPO level. Mine needed tires, a radio fix, new fog lights and a few other minor things.

I found it odd that they could CPO an 8 year old car but they knew the history and service which may make your car a good purchase as well.

If the local P-car dealer uses Fidelity and they have no problems with claims I might go with longer term. Keep in mind that you might be limiting your mods to keep the warranty intact.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:48 PM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
Just asked this question last week. It was about a 50/50split on for or against. I went for it for a little piece of mind.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:05 PM
PeterK is infamous around these parts
I think I'm leaning toward the fidelity then. I offered them $3.5 for the CPO status but they refused. Told me that tires are going to be a major expense as the current thread , while still above 50%, is below spec of 80% that is required for CPO. Therefore they'll have to replace all four tires. I'm on the other hand will likelly to get at least 5-8K miles out of these before the wear is at the thread mark.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Colt45ccg is just really niceColt45ccg is just really niceColt45ccg is just really niceColt45ccg is just really nice
I spent $3.5K on a 6yr fidelity warranty in June... I've already had the entire sunroof and subassemblies replaced to the tune of almost $3000. Fidelity just paid for the work with the dealer, it is by far the easiest experience I've had for warranty work.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:07 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I think I'm leaning toward the fidelity then. I offered them $3.5 for the CPO status but they refused. Told me that tires are going to be a major expense as the current thread , while still above 50%, is below spec of 80% that is required for CPO. Therefore they'll have to replace all four tires. I'm on the other hand will likelly to get at least 5-8K miles out of these before the wear is at the thread mark.
I think they are lying about the 80% cpo spec... last cpo checklist I looked at actually lists 4mm as the spec.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/shoppi...inspection.pdf

Make sure you get a PPI from any independent dealership or mechanic (not from the selling dealer!) Car dealers lie, period. they just can't help themselves....

Old 10-29-2009, 02:22 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
I think I also replied in the other thread but these cars are rock solid...and there's no reason for a warrenty company to offer these if they didn't think they would make money on it.

If it's stock, truly no point....if modded, i don't know if a warrenty would still hold water anyway. I'd say skip and use the $4K elsewhere or keep on the side for maintaince

Old 10-29-2009, 03:34 PM
IUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to behold
Anyone have experience with fidelity warranty with mods on the car? Since it is not through porsche, couldn't the techs 'look the other way'?

Old 10-29-2009, 04:04 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by IUkid
Anyone have experience with fidelity warranty with mods on the car? Since it is not through porsche, couldn't the techs 'look the other way'?

This touches on one problem with a CPO- the holder of the warranty and the mechanic are both "Porsche". (Not exactly, but if a dealer looks the other way, he can loose quite a bit)

As far as others 'looking the other way' it all depends on how the situation develops- you cannot bank on it, that's for sure.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:36 PM
DRMitchell is infamous around these parts
FWIW the extended warranty on my 02 has saved me 5-7k over the past couple of years.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:36 PM
kwonrad is infamous around these parts
Talking

Originally Posted by ard
This touches on one problem with a CPO- the holder of the warranty and the mechanic are both "Porsche". (Not exactly, but if a dealer looks the other way, he can loose quite a bit)

As far as others 'looking the other way' it all depends on how the situation develops- you cannot bank on it, that's for sure.

I got mine for half that, but then again, I live in New England where I'll only be using the car in good weather which is probably half the time you'll have in Texas So it's probably a wash.