996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Y pipe options/ opinions if you dont want Fenderwell intakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flash68
Agreed. I am placing a very high priority on the inlet piping - will do before the Y-pipe and TB. I guess it's just a matter of priority and order. All of these help in the grand scheme obviously...
You do not need the TB nor the splitter behind it... Most make 800+ rwhp on stock 700mm TB etc...
Its all the piping that is restrictive that is the issue.. that is why set Y pipe with the inlets above the Ics take care of it all... that mixed with good ICs with 2.5 inch piping and you are done... that is where the money ought to be spent...
patching up one part of the system doesn't do the job.... you need the cooling and the free flow on both pre IC and after IC.... this is how it should be done....
Do it once but do it right....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-30-2009, 08:57 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
IMO the inlet pipes to the turbos needs to be first. The pipes are long and they're restrictive. If the turbos can't suck air the rest doesn't matter, spool and power suffers. I REALLY want to slap a vac gauge on that hose and see exactly how bad it is. Until I've upgraded those pipes the rest will be left alone except maybe for the intercoolers. Turbos are already done, I have little doubt they're not happy with the stock pipes...

Old 10-30-2009, 09:19 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Don't wanna threadjack, but I think this is somewhat relevant to this discussion..... here is a new inlet piping option from Kevin @ UMW I saw recently. And they are bigger in diameter than the EVOMS piece. I am considering this...

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ml#post7033177

Old 10-30-2009, 10:26 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Don't wanna threadjack, but I think this is somewhat relevant to this discussion..... here is a new inlet piping option from Kevin @ UMW I saw recently. And they are bigger in diameter than the EVOMS piece. I am considering this...

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ml#post7033177
I like the looks of that but I'd like to see the inside diameter, is it ribbed like the outside? If so that's going to cause turbulence for sure but what real world impact that will have I don't know. I also think the price is a bit high. That may be specialized tubing, and there's some machined\welded fittings, but that's pushing $1700. Owwie! Overall I like the looks and they appear to have ported the cast piece too but I'd have to see some real HP numbers and perhaps some comparison vac readings before I'd be completely sold on it.

His comment about "spa tubing" made me chuckle though and I can imagine which system he's talking about!

P.S. Goodyear suction rated hose in 3inch sizing and rated to 180degrees\29inches vac runs about $8 a foot.

Last edited by BLKMGK; 10-30-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:58 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
products like those FVD pipes make me want to run down buy a aluminum spool gun as fast as i can and find someone local with their motor on the ground and have some new products in couple hours =)

Kevins product has quite a bit more thought put into it then what the FVD ones had. atleast his dont have alot of restrictive surface on the inside of the pipe if its the kind of hose i think it is.

definately an upgrade now 1700$ worth hrm i dont know about that.

Last edited by OS Inspector; 10-30-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:57 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Gotta love that Porsche tax that continues with its 10000% markups.

I would say his $1700 price is very strategically priced at a couple hundred below the competition's next lowest price.

I gotta say it looks like the best option and size for the money so far, albeit very expensive for what it is.

Last edited by flash68; 10-31-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:06 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
it'll sell thats for sure, looks to be a good setup.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:09 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Be very carefull with your choice of tubing on the turbo inlet side. A puncture means rocks, dirt and debris gets sucked into your turbos and motor. You are playing with fire, if the tubing is not up to the task. You want something very thick, strong, punture-proof and secure. Do this piece right, as it can take a high speed hit from something under the car and must be able to survive.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 10-31-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Be very carefull with your choice of tubing on the turbo inlet side. A puncture means rocks, dirt and debris gets sucked into your turbos and motor. You are playing with fire, if the tubing is not up to the task. You want something very thick, strong, punture-proof and secure. Do this piece right.
I agree John. I am glad I did not end up getting a used carbon fiber inlet pipe kit that was for sale recently. Read some bad stories about cracking and killed turbos. No thanks.

As you can see on that thread on rennlist, I asked Kevin about the strength and am waiting for his response. It is an important question.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:23 AM
I agree that puncture protection is a big deal. The hoses I was looking at on MSC all appear to be pretty strong and I'd imagine that the one they are sourcing is at least as good - I just hope the inside is smooth! I'll be watching that thread too as I'll be interested to hear what he says. Honestly if there are portions of hose exposed to debris some sort of protection, say a fire sleeve or something else might be in order. I think the issue of thrown rocks in general is solvable. Popping one of those open on a hard pull would put you instantly lean though - bear that in mind!

I still REALLY like the fenderwell inlets and the aluminum piping solution. The inlet length is WAY shorter but filter size concerns me a little bit. If the blow-thru MAF portion of this wasn't a mint I'd be MUCH more interested. Having to take it to a shop, get tuned, etc. etc. dampens the prospect - I'm not made of money :-(

P.S. Going to a vendor web site and finding pretty much zero information on what they offer drives me crazy. I research the heck out of anything I buy and if the onyl way I fond out anything about something is word of mouth I'm usually pretty grumpy. <sigh> Is it so hard to put up a decent site? Several vendors have excellent sites, others not so much - PDF catalogs for instance ain't real interactive!

Last edited by BLKMGK; 10-31-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:47 AM
agreed BLK MGK i looked at his site n left me well not in the mood i was when i clicked on the link =)

Old 10-31-2009, 11:50 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
blk magic pm markski and see what he can do for you , for what you get his prices are awesome...

Old 10-31-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by unvmy996
blk magic pm markski and see what he can do for you , for what you get his prices are awesome...

you got that right top notch Fab work and proven methods and reasonable prices what more can u ask for?

Old 10-31-2009, 12:31 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Gotta love that Porsche tax that continues with its 10000% markups.

No kidding! This is $300-400 in parts from burns and mcmaster and a saturday in the garage.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by earl3
No kidding! This is $300-400 in parts from burns and mcmaster and a saturday in the garage.

the vendors says Shh little man get outa here we have to count our money

about hit the floor when i saw the FVD intake hose

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Y pipe options/ opinions if you dont want Fenderwell intakes