996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Y pipe options/ opinions if you dont want Fenderwell intakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 01:52 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Y pipe options/ opinions if you dont want Fenderwell intakes

okay guys, at this point until otherwise convinced that having my airfilters out of site n such is a good idea. lets discuss setups out there

i know Speed Tech has a y pipe looks pretty good.

who has noticed improvements or played with a setup with the Hitachi MAf

i Have a V-Flow intake no Maf problems yet.

anyone whos played with this Y pipe or a setup other then fenderwell intakes please chime in n let me know what you felt for gains in power or responce or anything.

thinking about doing a speed tech y pipe larger TB and IPD plenum but unsure if the $ is worth the outcome.

in case anyone's wondering yes i sifted through many searched threads before posting this as not everyone has posted their builds with products n such i hope for some new members insite.

Last edited by OS Inspector; 10-29-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:00 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
well , this is only with the protomotive( maf) set up.... I do make these..
gains? well so far they make 1100 rwhp...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-29-2009, 02:21 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Looks Sexy marksi, and thank you for your help Via Pm's

im hoping to not put my filters in the fenderwells if you have any options that work for that speak your mind here or in Pm's

Btw hows the oval 3" coming along?

Old 10-29-2009, 03:04 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
Looks Sexy marksi, and thank you for your help Via Pm's

Btw hows the oval 3" coming along?
no go on the ovals... we tried but cannot make appropriate turn because the oval looses the 180 degree ability... so back to 3 inch or 2.75 ...

this is the 3 inch on my car....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-29-2009, 08:56 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
William,

With the Fenderwell intake i noticed a dramatic increase in spool. Infact so much so that I can say that my 24/20's spool faster and harder than my 24/18's ever did without the intake setup.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
FWIW, I have used both style systems on my car (Proto and SpeedTech), back to back and could not tell any difference in spool with K24/18G's. I think that upgrading the turbo inlet path and the intake/Y-pipe section, regardless of specific style will have the same effect. Additionally, Joe's TX mile record run used an enlarged conventional design. Both are good - I think it's more a matter of which style do you prefer.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 10-29-2009, 05:35 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
I'd like to upgrade the intake path myself honestly. However I'm betting the expense of switching over to the blow-thru MAF etc. is higher than I'd like - does it require ECU programming? I'd be pretty happy with just some larger pipes going to the turbos and the stock air box. Is the Y-pipe much of a restriction? I like John's Y-pipe but $1400 stings, are there any back to back dynos to show performance differences?

Markski - are those fenderwell filters big enough? Figure each one is going to be having to move a good 300+ worth of air. Has anyone tried putting a vac gauge on the inlet to see if it's restricted at all? Any issues with tire clearance? I really like that location although doing anything with the filters would be a PITA. Being able to vent BOV there is also nice and would make for less complexity for sure!

Old 10-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Yes you need a retune for the ford maf setup

Old 10-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
BLKMGK, the 6-speed member cost for our Y-Pipe kit is $1,125.00 and that includes the larger 2 1/2" silicon hoses, clamps, etc. to connect to the intercoolers and Y-Pipe. Powder coating the Y-Pipe is an additional $129.00 - That's just the tip of the iceburg, though, as you really need larger turbo inlet ducts and proper IC's to take full advantage of an air flow upgrade. This is because the OEM IC's and the OEM inlet pipes are both very restrictive points in the system. If you would like to clean up the air path for increased performance/better flow, it should done completely, so that any and all restrictions are eliminated. It's not an inexpensive thing to do, as there is a lot of hardware to buy if you are starting from scratch, but if you desire to maximize your car's potential, it is one of the things you will have to do at some point.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
Old 10-30-2009, 12:07 AM
AdamW81 is infamous around these partsAdamW81 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
BLKMGK, the 6-speed member cost for our Y-Pipe kit is $1,125.00 and that includes the larger 2 1/2" silicon hoses, clamps, etc. to connect to the intercoolers and Y-Pipe. Powder coating the Y-Pipe is an additional $129.00 - That's just the tip of the iceburg, though, as you really need larger turbo inlet ducts and proper IC's to take full advantage of an air flow upgrade. This is because the OEM IC's and the OEM inlet pipes are both very restrictive points in the system. If you would like to clean up the air path for increased performance/better flow, it should done completely, so that any and all restrictions are eliminated. It's not an inexpensive thing to do, as there is a lot of hardware to buy if you are starting from scratch, but if you desire to maximize your car's potential, it is one of the things you will have to do at some point.
Is there any benefit to this on a k16 or k24 car (or small k16 hybrid) or do the gains only make sense with higher hp cars? Would a car making say 550whp or less see any significant gains under the curve (I'm assuming peak numbers won't change much at this level)?

Old 10-30-2009, 12:24 AM
Basic Sponsor
The larger intake systems are geared for cars with larger turbos and associated upgrades, which can process more air flow. For example, it is generally agreed that the enlarged intake piping is advantageous on a K24/18G car and absolutely neccessary on a K24/20 car.

2022 Cayenne White
Old 10-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I'm installing EVO ICs, larger boost hoses and John's Y pipe as we speak. Should be ready today or Monday.

I plan on going back to GIAC for a dyno review and a possible bump in map aggression. Plus I expect to fix a boost leak / or stuck diverter that's keeping boost at 1.2 BAR max. Should be nice pop.

Either way this is my last mod on this car. It's very fast, fast enough that I'm going to start saving for another car to occupy my time and garage (besides this one of course).

Old 10-30-2009, 10:04 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
i also must add that intakes in the fender wells kick *** !! the spool difference was very noticeable, not just by me either, but for a few others that drove my car also.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by ari
I'm installing EVO ICs, larger boost hoses and John's Y pipe as we speak. Should be ready today or Monday.

I plan on going back to GIAC for a dyno review and a possible bump in map aggression. Plus I expect to fix a boost leak / or stuck diverter that's keeping boost at 1.2 BAR max. Should be nice pop.

Either way this is my last mod on this car. It's very fast, fast enough that I'm going to start saving for another car to occupy my time and garage (besides this one of course).
no inlet hoses? for fresh air to the turbos?

Old 10-30-2009, 05:33 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
no inlet hoses? for fresh air to the turbos?
Agreed. I am placing a very high priority on the inlet piping - will do before the Y-pipe and TB. I guess it's just a matter of priority and order. All of these help in the grand scheme obviously...

Should see some nice gains Ari.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Y pipe options/ opinions if you dont want Fenderwell intakes