996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

/// EVOMS [S-351] 1000 HP Monster Build Begins - Project Name to be Determined \\\

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:34 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
Why do they call it "trapping" when referring to speed?
  • It can't really be a trap if you know about it up front
  • They don't actually detain you (not that they could at that speed)
  • And there is no punishment for entering the trap or fine to leave the trap
Hmmmmm

One thing is for sure, Bryant did not spend my time in this "trap" with the Silver Bullet.

The instrument in catching or recording the car at the end of the quarter is referred to as a trap or trapping the speed. Not positive but I understand it actually takes the average speed over the last so many feet of the run.

Last edited by cjv; 05-04-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:38 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
I believe before the end of summer this year one of these cars will do somewhere around a 8.98 at somewhere close to 173 mph.
Maybe so Chad, but we have been hearing that for years now. Regardless, I hope you do finally achieve everything you hoped for in your 6 year build. It has helped push the technology forward....

Old 05-04-2010, 11:44 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
I believe before the end of summer this year one of these cars will do somewhere around a 8.98 at somewhere close to 173 mph.
Is Joe taking his car to the track and I dont know about it....

Old 05-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Counting down the days till we see a 996TT low 9sec car or 8second pass. People don't realize how hard it is to do so. Sloss and maybe a few others (like myself) who have owned an 8second car already know it's not a easy feat to do so. Then you add a 6speed into the mix it's even more fun. These cars don't have the suspension and IRS that's as strong as a Viper or Supra. The Vettes have been a best of like 8.4s (HUGE Turbo setup that makes 1300-1400rwhp and its an automatic) on IRS and I think they are beefier than the Porsche. I don't think we'll see Porsche's cutting 1.3-1.4 60fts which is what it's going to take to break into the 8s.

I'm all for someone developing an automatic setup that would take the abuse and then have a Porsche REALLY haul ***. But then again most of the owners aren't into drag racing, much less side by side racing anyway.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:55 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
Maybe so Chad, but we have been hearing that for years now. Regardless, I hope you do finally achieve everything you hoped for in your 6 year build. It has helped push the technology forward....
Not really "hoping" for anything. These are numbers that have been thrown out by others working on the build.

What it is it is. We have done everything we could think of and will be satisfied with whatever the outcome is. I am very happy to see what sloss has attained on the strip with the output of his dyno numbers.

Last edited by cjv; 05-04-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Because of the slower 60ft it requires the HP to make up for which is the HARDEST way to run a good ET.. You can add 300HP to a car and it wont move the ET .3 but .2 in the 60ft moves it .4..

We have run 8.98 @ only 156mph because of the 330ft.. When you get REAL fast the 60ft means alot but the 330ft means even more.. thats your 1-2 shift.. if the 1-2 shift can be flat footed WOT then the car will fly.. If you have to pause to get the car to shift the ET is shot for the most part and getting 8s will be very hard..

I would expect this car as it sits to be able to run 9.2-9.4 without an issue and a mediocre 60ft of 1.8-1.9.. If the car is on kill mode with a 1.6 60ft & 3.8 330ft it will run 8's IMO..

Thats Bench Racing at its best.. Now we will see who gets it done behind the wheel.. I am sure it has it in it..

Mike

Old 05-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Powell
Counting down the days till we see a 996TT low 9sec car or 8second pass. People don't realize how hard it is to do so. Sloss and maybe a few others (like myself) who have owned an 8second car already know it's not a easy feat to do so. Then you add a 6speed into the mix it's even more fun. These cars don't have the suspension and IRS that's as strong as a Viper or Supra. The Vettes have been a best of like 8.4s (HUGE Turbo setup that makes 1300-1400rwhp and its an automatic) on IRS and I think they are beefier than the Porsche. I don't think we'll see Porsche's cutting 1.3-1.4 60fts which is what it's going to take to break into the 8s.

I'm all for someone developing an automatic setup that would take the abuse and then have a Porsche REALLY haul ***. But then again most of the owners aren't into drag racing, much less side by side racing anyway.
We will be scrutinized so bad with an AUTO trans.. It will put the car in the 8s but then it still wont be even close to the SUPRAS and VIPERS anyway.. We need to work with what we have in 6spd.. I know 100% the missing link in the entire equation of these cars.. They have HP already, they have the Tilton Carbon, they now just need THE PROPER H Pattern Trans to be built by the right company.. I have already had lengthy discussions with who i have in mind..

Mike

Old 05-04-2010, 01:03 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Because of the slower 60ft it requires the HP to make up for which is the HARDEST way to run a good ET.. You can add 300HP to a car and it wont move the ET .3 but .2 in the 60ft moves it .4..

We have run 8.98 @ only 156mph because of the 330ft.. When you get REAL fast the 60ft means alot but the 330ft means even more.. thats your 1-2 shift.. if the 1-2 shift can be flat footed WOT then the car will fly.. If you have to pause to get the car to shift the ET is shot for the most part and getting 8s will be very hard..

I would expect this car as it sits to be able to run 9.2-9.4 without an issue and a mediocre 60ft of 1.8-1.9.. If the car is on kill mode with a 1.6 60ft & 3.8 330ft it will run 8's IMO..

Thats Bench Racing at its best.. Now we will see who gets it done behind the wheel.. I am sure it has it in it..

Mike
Mike,

You have considered the 300 more hp ..... now consider 500 to 700 more hp. You have consider the cars stock gearing ......... now consider gearing with fewer shifts. You have considered a GT2 ...... now consider a real awd with an electronic front ramp differencial and new type viscas capable of handling 90% of the power. People are familiar with a 996tt with 3.6 to 3.8 liters and it's torque curve ..... now try to visualize 4.4 to 4.5 liters harnessed with an ultra responsive 6 throttle body system and dual injectors and nitrous.

The above with the exception of the new plenum has been real world tested on an engine dyno a few times. As for behind the wheel ........ this summer. The times produced will speak for themselves, whatever happens ...... no excuses as I have done the best I can.

In 2003, this car put down a 1.6 second 60 foot with Dave Colman from Excellence doing the testing for his April 2004 article. Soon after we bent all six rods.

Last edited by cjv; 05-04-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by cjv
Mike,

You have considered the 300 more hp ..... now consider 500 to 700 more hp. You have consider the cars stock gearing ......... now consider gearing with fewer shifts. You have considered a GT2 ...... now consider a real awd with an electronic front ramp differencial and new type viscas capable of handling 90% of the power. People are familiar with a 996tt with 3.6 to 3.8 liters and it's torque curve ..... now try to visualize 4.4 to 4.5 liters harnessed with an ultra responsive 6 throttle body system and dual injectors and nitrous.

The above with the exception of the new plenum has been real world tested on an engine dyno a few times. As for behind the wheel ........ this summer. The times produced will speak for themselves, whatever happens ...... no excuses as I have done the best I can.
I consider all of those things.. and with all due respect at the end of the day everything you listed would be somewhere around a mid 7 second Supra thats only 3.4L.. But it is to each his own on what they like to build.. We all know you can take a fox body mustang and make a 6 second car out of jegs.. So dont get me wrong with my statement.. I just see Porsche as the wrong platform for an 1800hp drag car.. I think where this car is at is about right.. 1100hp , streetable, reasonable while VERY expensive build.. This is my .02 thats all..

I wish you luck with your build, if it works out as you visualize it will be something the whole WORLD will admire..

Mike

Old 05-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
We will be scrutinized so bad with an AUTO trans.. It will put the car in the 8s but then it still wont be even close to the SUPRAS and VIPERS anyway.. We need to work with what we have in 6spd.. I know 100% the missing link in the entire equation of these cars.. They have HP already, they have the Tilton Carbon, they now just need THE PROPER H Pattern Trans to be built by the right company.. I have already had lengthy discussions with who i have in mind..

Mike
Mike it's not just a transmission that's going to make it all work as you and I both know. Rearends (because staying AWD like you can on the EVO, WRX, etc. is not possible), suspension, etc.. all play a roll. I mean if it were just that easy someone could just throw in a pro-shifted tranny and a slipper clutch and really knock out some numbers.

Regardless you will not see a stock DME car come out with a wild 60ft without some sort of anti-lag or hit of n2o out of the hole. The 2 steps built into the DME on HUGE turbos just don't cut it enough. I did not get to test my anti-lag setup because of a wiring issue, but then again I do have a standalone. Next time I'm able to go to the track I should have a working Anti-lag, but we are really concerned about blowing stuff up as I still have stock axles, rearend, etc.. Just have a Tilton Clutch and some big drag radials.

I still stand behind my word that even trying to power it down the track isn't going to net a 8sec pass. It still requires a half *** 60ft and 1/8th mile. I personally think the 1/8th mile is going to determine a good pass or not.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:16 PM
If a Porsche makes 1800rwhp and only traps 170-175mph I'd be pissed! I'll give you a hint Streetking aka SW makes about 200rwhp less and has been 191mph in the 1/4 in a 6speed Supra!

I am really interested to see how all these big dogs run all out in the 1/4. Wish we could organize some event that was in the middle for everyone. Get together and have some fun at the track. I'll probably be supporting the stock bottom end guys because I have decided building a Patio will actually give me a return investment when I sell my house, compared to putting that same amount into a motor that will gain me nothing. But not to worry the motor will still come, but I'm just putting money into the house first. I guess it's called getting older or something, as I never would put anything in front of my car until now LOL!

Old 05-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Former Vendor
Mike it's not just a transmission that's going to make it all work as you and I both know. Rearends (because staying AWD like you can on the EVO, WRX, etc. is not possible), suspension, etc.. all play a roll. I mean if it were just that easy someone could just throw in a pro-shifted tranny and a slipper clutch and really knock out some numbers.

Regardless you will not see a stock DME car come out with a wild 60ft without some sort of anti-lag or hit of n2o out of the hole. The 2 steps built into the DME on HUGE turbos just don't cut it enough. I did not get to test my anti-lag setup because of a wiring issue, but then again I do have a standalone. Next time I'm able to go to the track I should have a working Anti-lag, but we are really concerned about blowing stuff up as I still have stock axles, rearend, etc.. Just have a Tilton Clutch and some big drag radials.

I still stand behind my word that even trying to power it down the track isn't going to net a 8sec pass. It still requires a half *** 60ft and 1/8th mile. I personally think the 1/8th mile is going to determine a good pass or not.
The 1/8th mile is 100% relative to the 60 and 330ft.. certainly if the 60ft and 330 are good its really hard to F up the 1/8th mile as a proper geared trans pulls 4th right at the 1/8th mile and thats a pretty easy gear to get..

I agree powering a car down the track will not net the 8 second pass.. i think itll need to a 1.6 or better 60ft to get it done from the slip i have seen from this car..Math is math.. .1 on the 60 is .2 at the end if all gears are grabbed the same on each run..

I didnt say it just needs a trans to be RELIABLE.. I am saying it just needs a TRANS to get it DONE.. It wont ever be consistent without the entire package.. an EVO is near impossible to make run consistent 8s in heavy form but it can get done 1-2 passes at a time..

Mike

Old 05-04-2010, 01:20 PM
cjv
I consider all of those things.. and with all due respect at the end of the day everything you listed would be somewhere around a mid 7 second Supra thats only 3.4L.. But it is to each his own on what they like to build.. We all know you can take a fox body mustang and make a 6 second car out of jegs.. So dont get me wrong with my statement.. I just see Porsche as the wrong platform for an 1800hp drag car.. I think where this car is at is about right.. 1100hp , streetable, reasonable while VERY expensive build.. This is my .02 thats all..

I wish you luck with your build, if it works out as you visualize it will be something the whole WORLD will admire..

Mike
I agree with much of what you say. How many minutes do you think a 1800 hp boxster motor will last. Maybe 5 minutes? I intend to make one run at maximum boost and retire it to a street motor producing 1000 hp @ 1 bar boost.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by cjv
I agree with much of what you say. How many minutes do you think a 1800 hp boxster motor will last. Maybe 5 minutes? I intend to make one run at maximum boost and retire it to a street motor producing 1000 hp @ 1 bar boost.
I dont know how long it will last, i dont even know if it will ever make that HP.. Your in unchartered waters where the MOST PROVEN 6cyl motor of all time the 2jz even has trouble holding 1800hp for long.. I wish you luck though because if you pull it off it will be a sight to see..

Mike

Old 05-04-2010, 01:34 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
I have decided building a Patio will actually give me a return investment when I sell my house, compared to putting that same amount into a motor that will gain me nothing. But not to worry the motor will still come, but I'm just putting money into the house first. I guess it's called getting older or something, as I never would put anything in front of my car until now LOL!
Getting old SUX!!!!!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: /// EVOMS [S-351] 1000 HP Monster Build Begins - Project Name to be Determined \\\