996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

/// EVOMS [S-351] 1000 HP Monster Build Begins - Project Name to be Determined \\\

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Jim Campbell is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Prche951
Many reasons. First of which is the 6 speed versus an AUTOMATIC which is infinitely easier to launch if you are a drag racer. Second is that there is lots of weight over the rear which gives lots of grip. problem is that the suspension was designed for handling not drag racing, so you get wheel hop. 911's have always had this issue. As for weight, where do you think that they are close in weight? the GTR is 3800 lbs. My turbo stock weighed in at 3360 lbs, no mods except exhaust.

If the 996tt had come out with pdk in it's day it would have easily been as fast as a GTR stock. probably faster. I met a GTR owner this weekend. Seems like everyone I meet who is not a fanboy says the same thing. "it's a fast car, but it has it's issues. one being quality and the owner has the new launch control which goes at 2500 rpm instead of 4200 rpm. He did one launch and the trans now does not feel like it use to, it shifts slower and is generally more sluggish and clunky. He also said that at the track it was fast for one or two laps then when everything got hot it started to slow down big time. Again, the difference in quality between a 996tt that sold new for 130+k versus a GTR at 75k (with it's 22k tranny) is quite obvious.
Sorry 951 i should have clearer when talking about GTR's i was referring to R32, R33 and R34. The ones with the RB26DETT engine and the manual trans(except the R32 with the Jatco in the vid i posted above)

I agree with what you said about the differences between the 996 turbo and the R35 GTR.

So is wheel hop the big issue then? Having just watched powell's turbo at the strip i can see that it's moving about a fair bit especially on gear changes.

Ta

Old 05-10-2010, 11:53 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Wheelhop is definitely killer. Anything much harder than a soft launch as Powell was doing at TX2K10 has proven to be a death wish quite a few times with these cars.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
As Ben said wheel hop is the destroyer of these cars, much like the Vette. Which is very weird because most of the newer IRS cars such as the Supra, Viper, etc.. can handle a little wheel hop and MEGA launches. But you can see from my video that I ride the clutch pretty hard coming out of the hole. I cut a 1.70, 1.73, 1.78 60fts as RWD on drag radials with a fairly soft launch. I have an anti-lag setup, but the track prep was pretty good, but even on harder launches without it I spun and had to shift as soon as I felt the car hop a little. I think if the track was FULLY prepped for like an outlaw car I could launch on the anti-lag, but I can't guarantee I won't pop an axle. Mine are still stock sadly!

Old 05-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bmoores
Wheelhop is definitely killer. Anything much harder than a soft launch as Powell was doing at TX2K10 has proven to be a death wish quite a few times with these cars.
That is due to the tires.. a good slick will eliminate the wheel hop.. Sure other parts may break but it wont wheel hop..

Mike

Old 05-10-2010, 12:04 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Powell
As Ben said wheel hop is the destroyer of these cars, much like the Vette. Which is very weird because most of the newer IRS cars such as the Supra, Viper, etc.. can handle a little wheel hop and MEGA launches. But you can see from my video that I ride the clutch pretty hard coming out of the hole. I cut a 1.70, 1.73, 1.78 60fts as RWD on drag radials with a fairly soft launch. I have an anti-lag setup, but the track prep was pretty good, but even on harder launches without it I spun and had to shift as soon as I felt the car hop a little. I think if the track was FULLY prepped for like an outlaw car I could launch on the anti-lag, but I can't guarantee I won't pop an axle. Mine are still stock sadly!

I agree. unfortunately, (or fortunately) our track sucks. My best 60ft was a 1.71 spinning like mad and had to shift and bogged in 2nd and ran 11.1. That was with drag radials and a very soft launch. (There is a youtube vid out there) I am always afraid of breaking axles, but refuse to pay $3000 for new upgraded axles...and so it shall be...

Old 05-10-2010, 02:35 PM
S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !
Guys, driving a 900hp Porsche has proved to be a bit more difficult then I expected! I have NEVER driven a manual car that revved as fast as this car does. I will head back to the track with some better tires and by then I will be a bit more comfortable with the car and I will make some better passes. The few passes I made were merely just to get a feel for the car. EVOMS built me a MONSTER that will take some getting use to. This car does have a high 150-160 mph pass in it! As for a good ET...Well I will have to see. The higher the HP with a manual car, the harder it is to ET. Just give me some time and I will show you guys what these awesome cars can do! I will say the "roll" racing is probably a better option in most cases, but I think I can get it to work from a dig. For the guys that understand drag racing know that picking up 41 mph from the 1/8 to the 1/4 is HUGE! This car has far exceeded my exceptions! Thanks to John Bray, and Todd Z!!

Last edited by S-351; 05-28-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:38 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by S-351
Guys, driving a 1100hp Porsche has proved to be a bit more difficult then I expected! I have NEVER driven a manual car that revved as fast as this car does. I will head back to the track with some better tires and by then I will be a bit more comfortable with the car and I will make some better passes. The few passes I made were merely just to get a feel for the car. EVOMS built me a MONSTER that will take some getting use to. This car does have a high 150-160 mph pass in it! As for a good ET...Well I will have to see. The higher the HP with a manual car, the harder it is to ET. Just give me some time and I will show you guys what these awesome cars can do! I will say the "roll" racing is probably a better option in most cases, but I think I can get it to work from a dig. For the guys that understand drag racing know that picking up 41 mph from the 1/8 to the 1/4 is HUGE! This car has far exceeded my exceptions! Thanks to John Bray, and Todd Z!!
I don't judge anything on ET. MPH is huge and 41 is just stupid!!! The last vehicle I ever owned that got 41 on the back half was my turbo Busa!!! I think that will come down once you learn to drive the car. Mistakes at the beginning can sway the back half MPH too.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Guys, driving a 1100hp Porsche has proved to be a bit more difficult then I expected! I have NEVER driven a manual car that revved as fast as this car does. I will head back to the track with some better tires and by then I will be a bit more comfortable with the car and I will make some better passes. The few passes I made were merely just to get a feel for the car. EVOMS built me a MONSTER that will take some getting use to. This car does have a high 150-160 mph pass in it! As for a good ET...Well I will have to see. The higher the HP with a manual car, the harder it is to ET. Just give me some time and I will show you guys what these awesome cars can do! I will say the "roll" racing is probably a better option in most cases, but I think I can get it to work from a dig. For the guys that understand drag racing know that picking up 41 mph from the 1/8 to the 1/4 is HUGE! This car has far exceeded my exceptions! Thanks to John Bray, and Todd Z!!
Its no walk in the park trust me.. many people dont have a clue what its like to wheel a 1000hp car.. hell I have only made a few passes @ 1000whp myself and i went faster with 850whp.. It takes some seat time and the issue with that is with that HP in a car not designed for drag racing you dont really get the seat time always.. I wish you luck..

Now I use my mechanic to pilot our shop cars.. somehow he gets in and drives like he has been in it for years.. While it always takes me a few passes to get comfortable which by the time that happens the rear end falls out, the tcase snaps, or something happens..

Im not trying to jack the thread, i hope you dont mind, but here is a video of a couple of my cars and him driving.. The RPM goes by so fast you cannot watch the tach in the early gears.. if you dont get down the track like this the ET will suffer.. It takes some seat time.. My best time in my evo was 9.35@155 2 years ago.. I hope you get it done because i know your car has it!!!

Old 05-10-2010, 02:46 PM
S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
I don't judge anything on ET. MPH is huge and 41 is just stupid!!! The last vehicle I ever owned that got 41 on the back half was my turbo Busa!!! I think that will come down once you learn to drive the car. Mistakes at the beginning can sway the back half MPH too.
I totally agree, generally when you ET well the mph will suffer and vice verse. With a bit more seat time I will be trapping in the high 150s and I should be able to get the car in the 9s. I just need a little less power and a little more traction. (I never thought I would be saying that)

Old 05-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Former Vendor
I totally agree, generally when you ET well the mph will suffer and vice verse. With a bit more seat time I will be trapping in the high 150s and I should be able to get the car in the 9s. I just need a little less power and a little more traction. (I never thought I would be saying that)
As much as we all HATE to lower the power.. start out at 800-900 and go up with it.. Youll become a lot more comfortable in the car and you find you will be much faster.. We know the car is fast its just a matter of you getting fast.. Youll get it, dont worry..

Mike

Old 05-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Mike...Usually I can do the same as your mechanic but we have two problems here:

1st and most important...Its my car!
2nd they are so damn expensive to repair! LOL

This car is really a MONSTER and revs so damn fast (due to the ridiculous power and the lack of traction) it makes it so hard to drive. I will get it down, it will just take a bit more time then usual.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Former Vendor
Mike...Usually I can do the same as your mechanic but we have two problems here:

1st and most important...Its my car!
2nd they are so damn expensive to repair! LOL

This car is really a MONSTER and revs so damn fast (due to the ridiculous power and the lack of traction) it makes it so hard to drive. I will get it down, it will just take a bit more time then usual.
HAHA yes that is much the case here too..

A. its not his car so he hits 2nd so hard i think hes going to yank out the shifter..

b. its not him who pays for the repairs.. LOL

MIke

Old 05-10-2010, 02:58 PM
I really love the car and it is going to work GREAT for what I am going to do with it! I just need to get some exhaust on it and more seat time.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jim Campbell
Sorry 951 i should have clearer when talking about GTR's i was referring to R32, R33 and R34. The ones with the RB26DETT engine and the manual trans(except the R32 with the Jatco in the vid i posted above)

I agree with what you said about the differences between the 996 turbo and the R35 GTR.

So is wheel hop the big issue then? Having just watched powell's turbo at the strip i can see that it's moving about a fair bit especially on gear changes.

Ta

Gotcha, I thought you were talking R35. Still Nissan used the 996tt to develope their skylines and in their own video, the 996tt beat their R34.

Wheel hop is an issue and slicks won't cure it completely. However, with adjustable coil overs you can go full hard on the suspension and lessen it. However, you are asking for trouble. If you lift the front end off the ground using slicks and you are AWD, you could break the front diff. Better to roll off and hit it hard after the easy roll off. Maybe not a great ET, but trap speed should still be good.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Captain Obvious is a jewel in the roughCaptain Obvious is a jewel in the roughCaptain Obvious is a jewel in the roughCaptain Obvious is a jewel in the rough
Bryant, just don't think you'll be launching that thing like one of your old Syclones. Now THAT was an impressive launch!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: /// EVOMS [S-351] 1000 HP Monster Build Begins - Project Name to be Determined \\\