996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

/// EVOMS [S-351] 1000 HP Monster Build Begins - Project Name to be Determined \\\

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:03 PM
S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
Bryant, just don't think you'll be launching that thing like one of your old Syclones. Now THAT was an impressive launch!
Indeed it was....Nothing like 4 drag radials and all wheel drive!

Old 05-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
Gotcha, I thought you were talking R35. Still Nissan used the 996tt to develope their skylines and in their own video, the 996tt beat their R34.

Wheel hop is an issue and slicks won't cure it completely. However, with adjustable coil overs you can go full hard on the suspension and lessen it. However, you are asking for trouble. If you lift the front end off the ground using slicks and you are AWD, you could break the front diff. Better to roll off and hit it hard after the easy roll off. Maybe not a great ET, but trap speed should still be good.
Actually full SOFT is what you want.. watch the above videos of ours.. the bumper nearly touches the ground.. We took a long time to develop those coilovers for EVO applications so they do not porpoise and tire hop.. The springs are so soft the car rides like a caddy on the street.. Which many mistake for being bouncy.. its not bouncy it just rides cushy..

The issue I see is 100's of SUPER KNOWLEDGEABLE guys in track suspension setup for road racing applications.. More than I could probably ever learn.. The Drag racing end of things is NEWER to our Porsche community and its going to take some time to get the combinations right.. The HP is slowly being seen as further down the list of things needed in the 9 second equation.. 8s now that takes the WHOLE package of course..

Mike

Last edited by AWD Motorsports; 05-11-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:35 AM
crispeed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
.. 8s now that takes the WHOLE package of course..

Mike
It sure does.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:50 AM
Jim Campbell is infamous around these parts
Actually full SOFT is what you want.. watch the above videos of ours.. the bumper nearly touches the ground.. We took a long time to develop those coilovers for EVO applications so they do not porpoise and tire hop.. The springs are so soft the car rides like a caddy on the street.. Which many mistake for being bouncy.. its not bouncy it just rides cushy..

The issue I see is 100's of SUPER KNOWLEDGEABLE guys in track suspension setup for road racing applications.. More than I could probably ever learn.. The Drag racing end of things is NEWER to our Porsche community and its going to take some time to get the combinations right.. The HP is slowly being seen as further down the list of things needed in the 9 second equation.. 8s now that takes the WHOLE package of course..

Mike
Sounds like when guys first started running fast GTR's(previous gen) In Australia. Lots of guys banging their heads against walls because they couldn't get the similar power and weight off the line well despite much superior tracks and identical tires. In fact i don't think any Australian cars ran an 8 on nitto 555r's they all seem to have moved to MT or Hoosier radials. What tire was you're evo on in the vids above Mike?

So the big question will we see 996/7 turbos running as quick as this GTR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyuUQ...eature=related It was on 17inch hoosier drag radials although it does have a sequential box. There are H patter GTR's that have run faster but i couldn't think of a full weight one.

S-351 it is a truly epic beast you have there easily one of my favourite P-cars ever can't imagine what it must be like to drive. And sorry for all the off topic stuff

Ta

Old 05-11-2010, 05:46 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !

Mike
interesting, maybe with the typical track type coil overs you cannot get it soft enough. Hence why it feels better going full stiff. What rpm are you guys launching at?

Old 05-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jim Campbell
Sounds like when guys first started running fast GTR's(previous gen) In Australia. Lots of guys banging their heads against walls because they couldn't get the similar power and weight off the line well despite much superior tracks and identical tires. In fact i don't think any Australian cars ran an 8 on nitto 555r's they all seem to have moved to MT or Hoosier radials. What tire was you're evo on in the vids above Mike?

So the big question will we see 996/7 turbos running as quick as this GTR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyuUQ...eature=related It was on 17inch hoosier drag radials although it does have a sequential box. There are H patter GTR's that have run faster but i couldn't think of a full weight one.

S-351 it is a truly epic beast you have there easily one of my favourite P-cars ever can't imagine what it must be like to drive. And sorry for all the off topic stuff

Ta
We run a 26x8.5 slick, Which is a problem for the Porsche to run the true slick due to the large brakes.. We have a small brake kit on our car.. Something that could be easily swapped on to a porsche for a track day and back off though..

Mike

Old 05-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Prche951
interesting, maybe with the typical track type coil overs you cannot get it soft enough. Hence why it feels better going full stiff. What rpm are you guys launching at?
Thats is correct.. most if not all coilovers on the shelf that you will find for a Porsche are not intended for drag racing.. They dont have enough travel and the spring rate is WAY TOO STIFF.. The proper spring rate would probably be 75% softer then what the shelf units come with.. Something that could be easily picked up from Eibach though and dropped on to a set of a JRZ or whatever it is you use.. The coilovers we run on our cars are made for Street / Drag.. Going to a road course or auto cross is not even close to an option..

You reach a point where when you want a certain # out of your car you have to cross that fine line of a comfortable ALL AROUND car.. Im not saying you have to gut your 996, put on drag coilovers and small brakes to run mid 9s.. I think you can skate by for that with most everything as it is.. But for 8s or very low 9s im going to say the proper drag slick & Suspension is going to be needed..

Without rambling on much more just look at the 6speed Supras.. They are so far and few between that run 8s on 6spd and even low 9s.. and that platform is the most proven of any import.. its not easy..

Mike

Old 05-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Captain Obvious is a jewel in the roughCaptain Obvious is a jewel in the roughCaptain Obvious is a jewel in the roughCaptain Obvious is a jewel in the rough
I think, at a certain point, one reaches the law of diminishing returns. As Bryant's car is currently setup, it can still function as an all-around daily driver, A/C, power windows, factory stereo and all of the factory creature comforts/options working while returning real MPG on the road. It is a no-nonsense driver. It is fun, however, to know that the big sledge hammer is always within reach should it be needed. Someone will eventually be faster as nobody is ALWAYS the fastest (Capt. Obvious strikes again!). It's all a matter of cubic $ and one's tolerance for trade-offs.

When one pulls up in a GT2, one is already in rare company. When that GT2 is built with the express purpose to show its backside to virtually any other street car, that driver has an ace up his sleeve. It's a pimp among cars, ready to b**ch-slap anyone who back talks...if it wants to...

Welcome to the big time, Huggie Bear...