996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Roll cage and Seats to accomdate Harness for Big framed guys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:32 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
You really need a track or competition seat. The Misano doesn't have the anti-sub slot for the fifth/sixth belt slots. Any seat that reclines won't have this option (at least none I've found).

The two Cobra seats I linked above are available in the "GT" size for larger folks. I have personally sat in the Cobra GT seats and found them to fit well. I'm 220# and a size 36-38 waist and actually fit "loosely" in them.

Also, Be advised MOST of these track seats will bolt to the SPARCO Seatbase that is specifically designed for the 996. This car is popular enough that you'll be able to get sliders and bases for most of the popular track seats out there, including SPARCO, MOMO, RECARO, and COBRA.

Alex, Congrats on the track car man! I didn't know you'd made the move to a dedicated track car! Looking good!

Mike

Mike check this out just found it tonight not sure that it changes my ideas on what i want but it is an option

http://www.corbeau.com/products/accessories/5th_slot/

Old 11-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
It's an option, but I don't view Corbeau seats as on the same level as others listed... I've owned a couple of Corbeau A4s and they wore "ok". They're pretty heavy, as they're steel frame and not made of the highest grade materials.

Mike

Old 11-03-2009, 05:13 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Just did some research with the help from Russ at Brey Krause, Corbeau seats are not FIA approved *tosses that idea out the window

so back to Sparco EVO 2 Plus or cobra seat. need to find a palce with these seats so i can sit in them which is harder then it seems

Old 11-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Oh yea, there is NO reclining seat that's FIA approved. I assumed you knew that.

In Houston, I'd expect you'd be able to get into one of these seats, man... Good luck!

Mike

Old 11-03-2009, 05:37 PM
im awaiting responses from some places as if they carry them in stock or just by order. also im in Mobile, AL working so makes it harder to get to performance shops.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:55 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
Just did some research with the help from Russ at Brey Krause, Corbeau seats are not FIA approved *tosses that idea out the window

so back to Sparco EVO 2 Plus or cobra seat. need to find a palce with these seats so i can sit in them which is harder then it seems

You'd be surprised at the number of "name brand" seats that aren't FIA approved. A lot of recaro's go on that list, plenty sparco seats too. The funny thing is that many of the sparco seats that are now FIA approved were not just a few years ago, and are the exact same seat. I wouldn't get caught up in the hype, reputable seat builders are just that. Of greater concern should be your restraint system.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:48 AM
got any suggestions on the restraint system Heavy?

i don't need a seat that has exotic materials or any special features just one that is fairly comfortable for my size and fits the bill.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:24 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
There are a ton of harness options out there that will work fine, from corbeau to sparco, BK etc. More importantly is what you're fastened to. I'd advise a roll bar over a"harness (only) bar". Might as well invest in the added security of some rollover protection and more stability with the harnesses. As for the roll bar those mentioned before are very quality ideas, just stay away from anything that bolts to floor boards and doesn't attach to near frame mounting points.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Im getting a Roll bar not even gonna bother with a harness bar as neither will let me do the events im looking at running.

now i dont find any info except for PCNA events requiring a FIA seat. i see some requiring dated FIA belts but not Seats

i was reading NHRA today and if i break 135 or 11.0 i have to have a full cage in the car =( wonder if we can do a bolt in full cage. or atleast the frontal bars.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:13 AM
So an update i have decided on a G force Pro Cam Lock harness, Just found a set of Manual Sliders for the race seat awaiting his price on them. and then i can pic the seat brackets and go find a couple seats to squeeze into.