996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Roll cage and Seats to accomdate Harness for Big framed guys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 11:42 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Roll cage and Seats to accomdate Harness for Big framed guys

Alright so ive been sitting here going through posts about seats that will accomodate 5/6point harnesses. Im looking for either a seat i can put in for track days only for lower expense dont need CF doesn't need to be super lite.

or a set of seats that work with harnesses that Recline. I like a couple sets out there Cobra Misano's, Recaro Sport Toplines etc. (havent got to sit in any of these)

ultimately id like to have a set of seats that fit me and are comfortable enough to take trips to where ever but i dont think 3-8k is in my budget for seats right now.

ima pretty big guy 5' 11" 250lbs 38-40" waist line

ive sat in a gt3 seat and man it was a pretty tight fit on my hip bones i could deal with it for about the distance it takes to run through the 1/4 mile or the texas mile but id be promptly getting out after the run.

so any input on a seat to help me run safely in the Mile and at TX2k10?

roll bar input also welcome

Old 11-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
You mean a "rollbar", I assume. A "cage" would require a front halo and A pillar.

DASport has a great bar. I've been using it on and off for three years now...

I'm going to buy a Kirkey Containment Road Race Seat for my needs this coming year. I've used the GT3RS style seat in the past and don't care for how it fits me.

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.ph...&code=Series53

You could also go with the Cobra in the following for bigger framed guys:

http://www.cobraseats.com/sebrings.htm

http://www.cobraseats.com/evolutions.htm

I'm using the Kirkey roadrace intermediate seat in the Miata and the Zcar build and I'm impressed with the quality, comfort, fit and weight of it. The full containment seat is an even better option with safety build and custom fitment.

Mike

Old 11-01-2009, 04:09 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
thanks for the help Mike,

Old 11-01-2009, 04:33 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
GMG is a great cage, lots of room still and very solid construction. OMP makes a good seat, Manalex is like 6'5 and 300 lbs and it fits him well, both the seat and the bar. p.m. him and ask which seat it is.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:07 PM
mike u tried to mount the kirkley seat to 996 seat frame bracket or going full custom?

Old 11-01-2009, 07:00 PM
manalex is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
GMG is a great cage, lots of room still and very solid construction. OMP makes a good seat, Manalex is like 6'5 and 300 lbs and it fits him well, both the seat and the bar. p.m. him and ask which seat it is.
I'm not 300lbs. I was fully clothed and had heavy boots on when I stepped on that scale. I'm also big-boned and was retaining water . I am 6'5" though.

I had GT3 seats in my 996TT that were on the tight side, but had no problem driving 20-30 min DE sessions. They were tough to get in and out of. I had them bolted onto the floor without sliders to get extra leg and head room as well. They were positioned further back than the stock sliders would normally go. I also had the center console delete which gave me a bit more leg room.

The turbo is now back to stock and have a dedicated track car. It has a full cage and the seats are installed with a custom bracket. However, I wanted more comfort so I went with a bigger seat on the driver's side, the OMP Eco XL. They fit perfectly and wish I had purchased them for the turbo. Given your height it sounds like you'll be able to use the OEM sliders and not have any problem.

Here are some pics:

And of the car...

Also have the GMG rollbar for sale. Check it out here if you are interested https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-roll-bar.html

Good luck,

Alex

Old 11-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Alex how is the width on the side bolsters of the OMP you have forsale?
that is what didn't work for me in the gt3 seats too tight at the hip bone area

do you know if the OMP seat has a bracket that bolts the seat to our stock rails or would it be all custom?

Old 11-02-2009, 05:37 AM
The seat I have for sale is is not the XL version. Its much smaller than the GT3 seat and the bolster is higher. I can't get into that one. The passenger seat you see in the pic above is the same as the one I have for sale. It is installed wiith the stock slider and a Brey Krause bracket-no custom work at all.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:27 AM
Is the XL a good bit larger n more cumfortable then a gt3 seat ?

Old 11-02-2009, 08:27 AM
No doubt-you'll like the fit. They are big.

I just remembered something though. My track car has no interior, and the seat fits in pretty well. No issues hitting the roll bar, the car's interior body panels or the console area. However, it may be a tighter fit (for the seat) in a car with the interior still intact and the vendor did warn me about that.

There has to be someone in the Houston area that sells these seats for you to try (both in the car and for yourself).

Old 11-02-2009, 11:00 AM
So far I've only found one person with anything other then GT3
seats. And those are the cobra misano that a member on here has but I haven't been able to sit in them.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
You really need a track or competition seat. The Misano doesn't have the anti-sub slot for the fifth/sixth belt slots. Any seat that reclines won't have this option (at least none I've found).

The two Cobra seats I linked above are available in the "GT" size for larger folks. I have personally sat in the Cobra GT seats and found them to fit well. I'm 220# and a size 36-38 waist and actually fit "loosely" in them.

Also, Be advised MOST of these track seats will bolt to the SPARCO Seatbase that is specifically designed for the 996. This car is popular enough that you'll be able to get sliders and bases for most of the popular track seats out there, including SPARCO, MOMO, RECARO, and COBRA.

Alex, Congrats on the track car man! I didn't know you'd made the move to a dedicated track car! Looking good!

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 11-02-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:30 PM
okay looking at the Sparco EVO 2 plus and the EVO 3 both look like nice Candidates

Cobra Suzuka S GT

Cobra Imola GT

Im concerned the EVO 3 is too wide for the 996TT or the seat sliders anyone have some info?

Last edited by OS Inspector; 11-02-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Mikelly

Alex, Congrats on the track car man! I didn't know you'd made the move to a dedicated track car! Looking good!

Mike
Thanks Mike. Only been out with the car once at RATL. Looking forward to getting out to VIR, Barber and Sebring early next year. Hope to see you out there as well so make sure to let me know when you plan on going to VIR. Or if you venture further south to RATL I'll make it a point to show up and run with you.

Sorry OSI, didn't mean to hijack the thread. But to get back on topic, make sure you sit in what ever you get befoe you buy. If at all possible make sure your able to return the seat in case it doesn't fit in the car. I don't think there's any way to confirm this short of actually trying to install it, unless you can get someone to confirm fitment. Wish I could help more.

Good luck,

Alex

Old 11-02-2009, 06:56 PM
I contacted Sparco to see if they have any input wish some more people have had seats for fat people in their cars

Anyone seen any of the 4 seats listed mounted in the 996TT?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Roll cage and Seats to accomdate Harness for Big framed guys