996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Lost boost help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Neil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud of
Lost boost help

Looking for some advice my car normaly makes 1.3 bar spike , it was fine a couple of days ago when i put it in the garage since then i have fitted an AP intake and some suspension parts. I took the car out yesterday and now im only getting .5 bar max, i cant hear any boost leaks and apart from the low boost the car drives fine. So far i have checked all the hoses i can see and also checked the actuator rods, my first thought was MAF with the new filter but i dont have any lights up and the car idles fine.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
year? miles? mods?

Old 11-02-2009, 11:29 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Neil A
Looking for some advice my car normaly makes 1.3 bar spike , it was fine a couple of days ago when i put it in the garage since then i have fitted an AP intake and some suspension parts. I took the car out yesterday and now im only getting .5 bar max, i cant hear any boost leaks and apart from the low boost the car drives fine. So far i have checked all the hoses i can see and also checked the actuator rods, my first thought was MAF with the new filter but i dont have any lights up and the car idles fine.
Probably a boost leak if no warning lights present. I would make a boost leak tester like colorinc did. Try a search for directions.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Neil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud ofNeil A has much to be proud of
Its an 03 with 30K on it.
Mods are K24's,manifolds,miltek system,AP intake,Forge dv's,1.3 bar spike dropping to 1 bar.
My plan for tomorrow is to make a leak test kit and try that ,if no luck will try to get it plugged into a lap top with durametic to check the sensors.

Last edited by Neil A; 11-02-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Its an 03 with 30K on it.
Mods are K24's,manifolds,miltek system,AP intake,Forge dv's,1.3 bar spike dropping to 1 bar.
My plan for tomorrow is to make a leak test kit and try that ,if no luck will try to get it plugged into a lap top with duramatic to check the sensors.

who did your tune. if your tune is x50 or gt2, then 1.3 is a spike and not reality, and 1 bar is your real pressure. Also what fuel octane are you using?

could be DV's.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:07 PM
I run it on shell V power which is 99 octane over here in Scotland, the tune is by one of the British tuners.
I will do a leak test and go from there , just didnt know if these cars have a lower default boost limit if a sensor goes down.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Do you have a code reader (any OBD-2 diagnostic reader)? Good tool for about $100 from Autozone (or your local Scotland-zone parts store). First clear codes and she may run fine...If not then try disconnecting the MAF and see how she runs (there is a base maf map that should run 90%ish and runs fine). If that helps then you need a MAF. If none helps post again. Ity doesn't sound like anything but the airbox changed so a boost leak is less likely.

Good luck,
Sam

Old 11-02-2009, 01:33 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
0.5 bar is the "limp mode" boost level. The ECU is confused. One easy thing to do is disconnect the negative battery terminal, leave it off for 15 minutes, then reconnect. This resets the ECU. You will probably get full boost the first time, but try it several times to see if it goes back into limp mode.

If it does go back into limp mode, you could try disconnecting the MAF, and see if it makes full boost without it. Some folks here say that means it's a bad MAF. In my case, when I had similar symptoms, this test came up with 1.0 bar, but I still had a boost leak. After fixing that, boost is fine, and I'm using the same MAF.

Pressure test is a good thing to do.

Jon

Old 11-03-2009, 04:34 AM
I have tried a reset with the battery and it made .8 bar once then dropped back to .5 bar. I dont have a code reader but going to get a shot of one tomorrow, will be doing a leak test today.
At idle if i dissconnect the maf there is no change to the idle or engine note.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:34 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
You really need to get a code reader. It is/should be required for modded cars. Without it we just guess and spend your money. Get durametric...don't settle for the cheap "readily available" readers. BTW, MAF has little to do at idle.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:28 AM
I have aranged to get a shot of a mates Durametric later this week, so just going to do a leak test untill then. Will order my own durametric but i go back offshore with work at the end of the week so no point ordering it untill i get home again.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:40 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Neil what kinda work you do offshore?

Old 11-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Neil, drive it with the maf disconnected (after re-set), see how it feels.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:58 PM
OS Inspector im a senior mechanic in the North Sea sector.

Looks like the MAF sensor went down and put the car into limp mode. I got a shot of a code reader and pulled the codes P1250 and P0102, P1250 reset so unplugged the MAF and the car was making normal boost . I also did a leak test from the inlet and it is holding 1.5 bar, so new sensor tomorrow and hopefully it will be sorted.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:36 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
OS Inspector im a senior mechanic in the North Sea sector.

Looks like the MAF sensor went down and put the car into limp mode. I got a shot of a code reader and pulled the codes P1250 and P0102, P1250 reset so unplugged the MAF and the car was making normal boost . I also did a leak test from the inlet and it is holding 1.5 bar, so new sensor tomorrow and hopefully it will be sorted.
P0102 is MAF. Looks like that was an easy one.

I don't see P1250 in the manual.

Jon

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lost boost help