996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Saved my car...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 07:01 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Wow, talk about turning lemons into lemonade!

The car looks great, and I'm sure it will look (and drive) better than ever when you're done. Nice job!
Haha may I quote that?? Awesome expression. Thanks!

Bodyshop will have the car for 4 days next week to make the last percent of adjusting fitment + polish/buffing/glazing, then I'll track prep and have the true shake-down at Auto Club Speedway the weekend after this one. Unfortunately won't have the time to make it 2WD before this but got to save something for the winter.

Pics to come.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:11 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, talk about turning lemons into lemonade!

The car looks great, and I'm sure it will look (and drive) better than ever when you're done. Nice job!
Thanks! The only right thing to do was to save it from a wrongful "death".

Car was fine after a long ol test drive yesterday btw, and I really got to sport my new license plate frame saying "With great power comes great responsibility" (no not a fan, I haven't even seen the movie, just such a fitting quote).

I went for black frame this time and it will get a black "turbo" decklid logo as well, as opposed to the very clean chrome/silver look I had before. Thought about 911 logo for a while but think I'll leave that for narrow body cars to use that. Any opinions?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:13 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
black Turbo badge for sure.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:15 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
looks, great, i see you added some extra stuff, that wasn't on your car before, i guess it worked in your benefit....

Old 11-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
great story...you now know your car in a way that few of us do...I believe you will cherish it now more than ever...I'm a sucker for happy endings
Yeah it is a great feeling, like nothing up front is a worry, car feels very simple and I know how everything sits and which order it's gotta go in. Now I just gotta learn some of the rear end stuff - clutch slave conversion coming up during the winter, as is LSD and 2WD.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Hey MrWhite,

That GT2 decklid/wing looks terrific. Which brand did you go with again, and how happy are you with the overall fit/finish/fitment? Thanks, and keep up the great work!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Hey MrWhite,

That GT2 decklid/wing looks terrific. Which brand did you go with again, and how happy are you with the overall fit/finish/fitment? Thanks, and keep up the great work!
Thanks, it is a Misha GT2 replica decklid, they are in the North Hollywood area, very service minded. My bodyshop was impressed when they got the piece, it is a difficult piece to replicate and Misha made a very good piece fitting perfectly well with the gaps and size. The body shop of course did prepping before paint, but never complained about anything being not good with it.

It feels strong, it comes with good quality tight hinges for being able to adjust the wing blade angle which was very important for me, not all replicas allow for that (which imo sucks), the overall shape is great.

I had/have a slight issue with the lowest part of the rear end having a few mm too much of a gap, but you can see in the photo after only my own little adjustment that it is not bad. As mentioned above the bodyshop will have the car again for a few days next week and may solve that to 100%, actually even some OEM seem to have a little bit of a gap there looking critically.

The air ducts that mounted by screws inside the pods I would use OEM if I could afford them (400 a piece for simple plastic ducts), but anyone with some sanding paper and patience can make the provided ones perfectly smooth.

Quoting someone else - nothing fits like OEM, but I am very very satisfied with this one and if I had to go back in time and decide again knowing what I know now, I would buy it again without hesitation.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:52 PM
ahardm3 is infamous around these parts
ouch! nice work though

Old 11-11-2009, 01:28 AM
Re-registered the car this week, great feeling to have it officially back in traffic.

Important facts for anyone who needs to do a VIN-inspection: After a GT2 lid install - the emission conformity and vacuum hose routing stickers have to be on the car. These are really only a few bucks.

Also the federal VIN label that sits on the driver door need to be on the car to save a trip to highway patrol or something like that, to inspect it. This label can also be ordered, but takes appr 6 weeks and is ridiculously expensive.

A decal print shop... or even just a good color printer can also do the trick....

Old 11-11-2009, 02:28 AM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MrWhite
Re-registered the car this week, great feeling to have it officially back in traffic.

Important facts for anyone who needs to do a VIN-inspection: After a GT2 lid install - the emission conformity and vacuum hose routing stickers have to be on the car. These are really only a few bucks.

Also the federal VIN label that sits on the driver door need to be on the car to save a trip to highway patrol or something like that, to inspect it. This label can also be ordered, but takes appr 6 weeks and is ridiculously expensive.

A decal print shop... or even just a good color printer can also do the trick....
So did you have to buy the car back as salvage from the ins company?

Old 11-11-2009, 06:32 AM
yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !
enjoy her for many more years, i'm happy u changed ur mind!!! i would of done d same.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by adam699
So did you have to buy the car back as salvage from the ins company?
Yes. Now I don't have to worry about anything...

Old 11-13-2009, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by yllwturbo
enjoy her for many more years, i'm happy u changed ur mind!!! i would of done d same.

Thx!!

Got the car back polished and shiny today after a few days for adjustments at the bodyshop, tightened up fenders, front, decklid air ducts etc. Also got a stack of Hankook RS2/3-tires for Sunday to play on and got asked to use my car for a new performance exhaust from a very very performance oriented racing company, so re-entry into active user status is really positive.

But, what I was going to write was that now driving the car a little more for real, it feels like serious rock'n'roll, due to two changes/upgrades:
- GT2 front arms.
- Eibach swaybars (used to run GT3-bars)

The car behaves perfectly neutral with a slight tendency of tailhappy but not alarming. It's really wonderful, as I have both swaybars on mid setting so I can go any way I want with adjustments.

I run the car with OEM GT2 wheel setup on street.

Now I can't wait for 2WD conversion to increase the fun factor another notch.

These cars are build to be driven every single day for sure, gives the driver a big

Old 11-13-2009, 12:45 AM
AlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to beholdAlFromCalabasas is a splendid one to behold
What a nice project you did, the car looks great!!

-Alex

Old 11-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by AlFromCalabasas
What a nice project you did, the car looks great!!

-Alex
Thanks! It also RUNS great, ran Cali Speedway Roval the whole day today, not only without any sort of trouble from my repairs - the car also responded great to slight adjustments of shock settings, rear wing, ride height and tire pressures. Can recommend Endless ME20 pads for Turbo brakes which I used on track today (not affiliated) and also I tried a combination of Hankook RS3 and RS2, which worked out extremely well for not behing 100% a full-on R-compund.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Saved my car...