996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Trade in 996tt for 997s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 02:54 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Originally posted by gobie18
I just can't see a modded 997s spanking a stock turbo. Maybe close. Also, the 997 still has the RMS leak prone engine. Just for that reason, I would not trade a TT for a 997S.

Gobie
2002 Turbo
The 993 Block (Turbo Block) is a very heavy duty block but it is 20 years old and has also had its share of issues along the way, The 997S has a new engine and my dealer has heard of no RMS issues as I had w/MY 03 coupe.

There is nothing like a normaly aspirated car no LAG!

Old 12-01-2004, 03:00 PM
rerun9999 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Marc996Miami
The 993 Block (Turbo Block) is a very heavy duty block but it is 20 years old and has also had its share of issues along the way, The 997S has a new engine and my dealer has heard of no RMS issues as I had w/MY 03 coupe.

There is nothing like a normaly aspirated car no LAG!
Actually, the 3.8L block is the same M96 engine bored out 200cc more. So in theory, RMS problems are still a problem.

Old 12-01-2004, 03:04 PM
Stuttgart Nativ is infamous around these parts
Yeah....maybe get a dress with that 997s....wussy

Old 12-01-2004, 03:06 PM
bucking is infamous around these parts
Every car has its proponents; never-the-less, when you start talking about a 997 NA car spanking a 996 turbo, with all due respect, what do you mean? Stock cars on the track? Small track with few straights? High speed course? Top end run in Germany on the autobahn? Or what? Each car ( the 997, the 996 turbo or a Lotus Elise, for example) is a different tool for a different job. Bottom line: When Ruf, for example, builds his fatest cars, they are turbos. And depending on where one intends to drive them and how, dictates rear or all wheel drive. Finally, weight is a huge factor. Bottom line: Each turly new version of the 911 has been incrementally better than the last, as a tool. Some folks like the 356 better than, say, the Carerra GT. OK, as a style statement. But if you're trying to pick the best car, you need to define with specificity the job to be done - then pick your tool.

Old 12-01-2004, 03:12 PM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Stuttgart Nativ
Yeah....maybe get a dress with that 997s....wussy
Oh c'mon.

Grow up.

Old 12-01-2004, 03:34 PM
P O R S C H E
KSA Turbo is infamous around these parts
HELL NO!

Old 12-01-2004, 03:37 PM
Welcome to the OC, bitch!
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
bucking - i was comparing a moderately modded (see a couple posts above) 997S to a factory stock 996tt.

other things being equal, I think the 997S will come very close or be better in acceleration, braking, and cornering. Properly driven on a dry track, I think the modded 997S could beat a 996tt.

Of course I have no behind the wheel experience to justify this; I'm just taking numbers on paper and adding them together to get my theoretical results.

Old 12-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally posted by trojanman
According to motor trend, the 997s posted speed & handling results that come pretty darn close to a stock 996tt.
On the handling issue. The numbers out there on the Turbo were generated without using the best suspension Porsche makes for the Turbo...X73. They were also generated without using the best tires available...PS2's. There is a reason Porsche is quiet about the handling numbers on a Turbo with X73; especially times at the Ring. Making them public would hurt the marketing plan. They can't have a Turbo with X73 turning low 7.50's to high 7.40's at the Ring. So a valid comparison would be "the best" Turbo available...X73 with and PS2's, versus "the best" 997...the 997S. My money would be on the Turbo.

As for the MT acceleration numbers, I believe they were a blip on the scale and not anything that can be consistantly reproduced and/or counted on. Again, the fair comparison would be an X50 Turbo versus the 997S. It wouldn't be close.

Old 12-02-2004, 04:38 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
I had the same thought

but couldn't do it after driving the S for about an hour. I would miss that turbo torque too much. But, I found the S to be a more involving (i.e., fun) car for street use than the turbo. The S feels light and nimble (almost Boxsterish) compared to the tt. It is a substantial improvement over the 996, and I have high hopes for the 997tt.

Old 12-02-2004, 05:16 AM
Banned
FAT-911 is infamous around these parts
The 997s is a brilliant car, it is well refined and a better (Not by a lot) car than the 996, I just got my S and still have the turbo albeit modded, but and it's a big BUT, the turbo blitzes the S in handling, braking and ofcourse power, the aesthetics of the 997s is growing on me and the more is see the S it makes the outgoing 996 look dated.

My turbo will be mine until the 997 tt comes out...Until then the 997s is my daily and very enjoyable daily driver.

Also after driving the S for a while then jumping into the turbo, you just get the feeling that your in something out of the ordinary.

Good luck with your decision.
George

Old 12-02-2004, 05:27 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
who says there will be a 997TT anyway???

Old 12-02-2004, 05:47 AM
Crash is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by rockitman
Reliable sources with insider information say there will be one. Possibly with a "5" as the first of the three horsepower numbers.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:08 AM
BartN (TX) has a spectacular aura aboutBartN (TX) has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by trojanman
According to motor trend, the 997s posted speed & handling results that come pretty darn close to a stock 996tt.

With a lightweight flywheel, chip, intake, and exhaust a 997s will should spank a stock 996tt handily.
If you're talking mods then all you need to do is add Pss9's and sway bars to the turbo to transform it into a 997 whipping stick.

Old 12-02-2004, 08:35 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
I'd do it.

-Better chassis
-NA power (no lag)
-Better looks
-Better handling (2WD>4WD)

Old 12-02-2004, 08:40 AM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Originally posted by rockitman
I haven't heard anything new lately, but more than a year ago, there were spyshots showing up of the 997TT in testing. I'd have to think it's been shown on 6speed in the past. Click on the video link at upper right. At the end of the vid, still pics are shown, and you can see stickers around the 997 headlights, making it look from a distance like a 996. When I originally saw this video a long time back, I also saw pics posted on the web in detail showing this 997 turbo.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?video_...--------------

Great to see a new turbo coming as always, but that Ruf 997 turbo intro'd at Essen last week is a much more beautifully sculpted car IMO. Style preference is purely subjective of course, but Ruf has a nice balance between muscular looks and sophisticated restraint from overkill.

If this photo and vid shows near to the finished product of the 997TT, it looks formidable, but sort of reminds me of the older Porsche racecars, when they added-on larger fenders to a smaller chassis so they'd keep within the racing regulations, yet added to the car's track, intake abilities and aerodynamic appointments. It will be interesting to see in it's final iteration if the 997TT has a more sculpted shape, or if it will have this sort of added-on look with hard lines.

Anyone see pics of the 997TT that are more recent?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trade in 996tt for 997s