996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tubi Muffler Exhaust Failure!!! (quality issue???)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
What a shame. I really can't believe that they wont come through some way to make this right. Too many P car owners use this site to make sound product decisions.
Good luck.
JS

Old 11-06-2009, 09:23 AM
yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tooth dr
Wont be buying Tubi either now. Im VERY surprised they dont stand behind their products, especially after changing the design...pathetic.

Thanks for the info! And goodluck.
i will also stay away from them, gooood luck

Old 11-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
When I went to look for mufflers....I hit up a few folks...including ARD who has posted in this forum. I ended up contacting, talking to Stef, and going with Europipe. Sure I paid a bit more, but the quality and backing from the company is always there.

I used to have a fairly good view of Tubi's products line, but this thread, whether the muffler was welded or not, has caused Tubi a bit of a PR problem. It would have been to their interests to resolved this issue quietly and this discussion wouldn't be going on. Now there's a negative view out there complete with pictures....which I have to admit are flat assed UGLY. Any product line can have a bad batch, an faulty run, or some metalurgy problems....so Tubi should just step up to the plate and take care of it....$hit happens....handle it and move on quietly. Now they're going to be figiting a precedent issue that's gone to a public forum. I know if my Europipe went TU...Stef would work with me to come up with some mutually agreeable solution....even if it meant I paid a little for my part of the deal....but he'd work it out. That's the difference between a truly class outfit and a totall profit oriented company.

**Added on...just read Fabricator's comment....yes, you could go to someone who could build you a top notch exhaust system...but your comment about what you paid etc tells me that money is an issue, as it is with a lot of us who post here. A custom build would be a great way to go, but it will cost you a lot of money. You might want to search for a used Europipe system...I've seen them advertised for $1500 up to $3000.....but they're definitely worth it. You're going to find all sorts of recommendations from a host of folks who support their particular system they have installed, so proceed carefully and do some research...but the bottom line is that the Tubi's you have in there would make a rather good boat anchor.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 11-06-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:05 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Smile

so I got off the phone with Jesse at Champion Motorsport and it seems the thing that got to them worried was the video on youtube of the Tubi Muffler Failing.. (since they are unaware of this post on 6speed)..

so the agreement we reached was he will replace my mufflers for free BUT i need to pay the shipping from Italty to the US (since he doesn't have the one for my car in stock) and I need to pay the shipping from FL to NY.. i suspect the shipping will be 200-300 total AND i have the remove the youtube video... i will need to ship my old mufflers back to him afterwards

i guess i should be happy that we're in an age of youtube and online forums. thanks for all the support guys

the messed up part is I asked Jesse if the new ones will fail again and he was not able to give me a "100% no they won't fail answer"
he said that i will be getting the updated version ones which thicker wall and some design modifications but he said stainless steel after time just gives away to wear (winter salt, usage, temperature fluxs).. i guess time will tell if i need to re-visit this thread 3 years from now

BTW, if anybody does decide to buy a Tubi, make sure you get it from a source that is willing to take care of you.. i have a feeling that Champion is going to take the loss on this since Tubi Italy never replied my email or called me. props to Champion for standing behind a product they sell. Jesse told me they sell about 30-40 Porsche Tubi products a month (996, 997, 996tt, 997tt) so i guess they make enough money to cover another set for me

Old 11-06-2009, 12:11 PM
soslo is infamous around these parts
Good to hear a supporting vendor on 6speed went out of their way to take care of you. I will definitely keep your story and Champion in mind when looking at aftermarket products.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Steve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud of
Shame on Tubi, a free set of replacements would have been good PR. Whats 2k to a large company?, advertising!. Way to step up Champion.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:03 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
repaired by some local shop and now Tubi is supposed to warranty it?? Their response is predicatable, any other manufacturer would do the same. I think what you should have done is call Tubi or your dealer immediately before you let the muffler guy weld on it, now it's almost too late. Good luck I hope you get it resolved.
Company should look in intention of fixing at first place. It cracked so owner tried to fix. Damage was done before welding. (from crappy mat. or design, whatever.) Product was flaw at begining. No one tried to modify or play welding to it. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:15 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Champion gets + 1,000,000 rep points for stepping up in this situation....

Old 11-06-2009, 01:18 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by angldrkns9
so the agreement we reached was he will replace my mufflers for free BUT i need to pay the shipping from Italty to the US
Jason,
Congrat. At leaset they took care of you. After all hassle.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
sounds like a happy ending to me...thread closed